View Poll Results: Which date seems realistic for release?

Voters
2187. This poll is closed
  • August 28

260 11.89%
  • September 4

211 9.65%
  • September 11

213 9.74%
  • September 18

380 17.38%
  • September 25

449 20.53%
  • OCTOBER 2

674 30.82%
Page 32 of 81 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    November probably like all the other expansions they released.

Quote Originally Posted by Inzightlive View Post
    its extremely naive to even think that mop might release on the same day as gw2.. there is absolutely no way that blizzard will take the risk of a ton of the player base not getting mop because gw2 on the same day, no matter what it wont happen
    GW2 will end up like SWTOR. It's funny that people do this with every game that comes out. Remember the SWTOR hype 8 months ago? People thought surely that was it for WoW. Well, now SWTOR is dead. I expect nothing less than that from GW2.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipawnu View Post
    GW2 will end up like SWTOR. It's funny that people do this with every game that comes out. Remember the SWTOR hype 8 months ago? People thought surely that was it for WoW. Well, now SWTOR is dead. I expect nothing less than that from GW2.
    the people who hyped swtor were idiots anyway. swtor was nothing but a wow clone with voice acting, just like all the other "recent" mmos. gw2 delivers a lot of innovative and new stuff to the genre, im not saying that gw2 will definitely be the best game ever cause i cant know that. but im pretty damn sure that it wont fail as hard as swtor

Deleted
    I would have thought that Blizzard would try to release as close to GW2 as possible, but that seems increasingly unlikely. Instead, Blizzard is probably going to gamble that just as with SWOTOR, Rift, Warhammer, etc, people will lose their motivation to play GW2 after a month and come back to WoW just in time for MoP.

Comparing GW2 to all those failed attempts to get a piece of the MMO market might be a mistake though, because GW has a very dedicated player base who won't quit their franchise for anything. GW1 is basically the only MMO that has survived next to WoW over a prolongued period of time, so it is very likely that GW2 will do so too. I definitely expect it to make a dent into the WoW population, especially PvPers. Obviously it's not going to be the "WoW killer" though.

Tldr: expecting MoP late september/early october.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verus View Post
    November probably like all the other expansions they released.
    All others? like only WotLK? because Cataclysm was in Dec and BC was in Jan....
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    If you think Blizzard is going to take the titanic Marketing risk of letting a bored Player base play GW2 for a month, you are smoking too much.

Blizzard will release MOP on Aug 28th, and crush GW2 like a bug.
    What happened to your prediction of early June? I think we can pretty much ignore your predictions from now on.

Blackwing Heroine BlackwingHecate's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzightlive View Post
    the people who hyped swtor were idiots anyway. swtor was nothing but a wow clone with voice acting, just like all the other "recent" mmos. gw2 delivers a lot of innovative and new stuff to the genre, im not saying that gw2 will definitely be the best game ever cause i cant know that. but im pretty damn sure that it wont fail as hard as swtor
    What about Tera? Not a WoW clone, had pretty much no effect on WoW. Or Secret World, again, different, Doesn't seem to have had much of an effect, (Though we'll have to wait a bit for that one.) You also seem to be forgetting that with GW2's lack of sub, people can have both (I pre-ordered the Digital Deluxe version of GW2 and plan to pre-order the MoP Collectors Ed as soon as I can.

Also bare in mind that your "Xgame delivers a lot of innovative and new stuff to the genre" Was ALSO said about SWTOR, Tera, Aion, AoC, LoTRO, DDO, and Champions online. I think you are GROSSLY over estimating the effect that other games have on blizzard in general, and WoW in particular.
    Nostalgia is the hollow remnants of memories long gone.

-Kaito Kumon (Kamen Rider Baron)

They won't release it on the 28th as they know GW2 will hurt it's sales. My bet is Patch 5.0 being released on the 28th so they can try and steal some of GW2's thunder with no detrimental effects to themselves, and then release a few weeks later when people aren't playing GW2 quite as hardcore and they may have time to play MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    If you think Blizzard is going to take the titanic Marketing risk of letting a bored Player base play GW2 for a month, you are smoking too much.

Blizzard will release MOP on Aug 28th, and crush GW2 like a bug.
    ...Crush? How will a subscribtion based game crush a non subscribtion based game? Would releasing MoP the same date Skyrim released mean that Skyrim would have gotten crushed? Yea they are two different genres, but with what you are saying that is a good comparison. Not to sound like a MoP hater or anything, i've said it before and i say it again, im going to buy MoP, i think it looks good, but people like you who state that it will crush GW2 just makes the community look bad.

Lets say MoP released same day as GW2, yea sure it would affect the sales. Maybe 500k wouldnt buy GW2 on release, but after 1 month. Would you say that GW2 got crushed just because they didnt buy on release date, but they did about 1 month later?

Deleted
    Each day without a release announcement is taking the game more far away....28th august is, imo, out of discussion right now and even september the 4th is pretty unlikely.
    If we get a release announcement soon it can still be 11/9, if not i think we will end up with late september early october (sadly).

i have been saying a between oct/nov release for a while now, i would love it to be earlier, but the annual pass does till oct iirc which to me is one of the biggest indicators its coming out in oct, why else would they have an annual pass that makes people stick around for a year no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamu View Post
    i have been saying a between oct/nov release for a while now, i would love it to be earlier, but the annual pass does till oct iirc which to me is one of the biggest indicators its coming out in oct, why else would they have an annual pass that makes people stick around for a year no matter what.
    I think you are greatly overblowing the financial security the annual passes provide.

Yes, if it's released in October or November they might keep a couple of subscribers they otherwise would of lost thanks to the annual pass. However for every day they delay the expansion, they lose non-annual pass subscribers (which make up a majority of the playerbase) to burnout. Likewise, just because someone has an annual pass doesn't mean they are obligated to actually play or buy MoP.

Ultimately, if the expansion is done, Blizzard is going to make more money by releasing it sooner then sitting on it for a couple months. The annual passes might have an effect, but it's a very minor one in the grand scheme of things.

Overall, I'm thinking a mid-September release is most likely. Although a very late August release isn't completely out of the question either, but I'd say it's not very probable at this point.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The in-game events and the books move independently of each other. On *rare* occasion, the books have come out around the time the lore occurs in-game.

Please see every book ever written for the Warcraft franchise prior to the Cataclysm series.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Ipawnu View Post
    You have no idea what you talking about - everyone who played in last open beta before SWTOR release knew it's wow clone with really nice told story and SWTOR universe. I have purchased my SWTOR copy beeing aware that i wont extend my sub beyond free months becouse it's too similar to WoW. I decided to treat it like single player game worth 60$. I suppose there is/was plenty of people with exacly same attitude - they just want to see SWTOR universe from "inside", live through some class story and...shelf a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Exroyal View Post
    Lets say MoP released same day as GW2, yea sure it would affect the sales. Maybe 500k wouldnt buy GW2 on release, but after 1 month. Would you say that GW2 got crushed just because they didnt buy on release date, but they did about 1 month later?
    Also this - GW2 in opposite to others MMO's just doesnt require so much time spend to stay competitive - if you want play pvp you can do it already when you start game first time. It doesnt require from you max lvl and months long grind for pvp gear you are geared exacly same way your opponent is - only skill matter.

I suppose there will be lot of people buying MoP and after some time GW2 but only few doing otherwise.
    Last edited by lyxx; 2012-07-05 at 12:20 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Falrinn View Post
    However for every day they delay the expansion, they lose non-annual pass subscribers (which make up a majority of the playerbase) to burnout. Likewise, just because someone has an annual pass doesn't mean they are obligated to actually play or buy MoP.
    You assuming that less number of players will buy/play MoP if it is released in November than if in August, which is strange. Those who are not planning to play next expansion already cancelled their subs. Some of those who are looking forward to MoP might have stopped their subs but as easily will resume it 2-4 weeks before release.

Quote Originally Posted by lyxx View Post
    You have no idea what you talking about - everyone who played in last open beta before SWTOR release knew it's wow clone with really nice told story and SWTOR universe. I have purchased my SWTOR copy beeing aware that i wont extend my sub beyond free months becouse it's too similar to WoW. I decided to treat it like single player game worth 60$. I suppose there is/was plenty of people with exacly same attitude - they just want to see SWTOR universe from "inside", live through some class story and...shelf a game.
    Exactly. People need to realize that SWTOR was KOTOR3 and most people treated it like that. When they were done with the story they were done with the game. While I applaud bioware for making an mmo with good story for a change, they uneccessarily ruined "their" kotor franchise with it, because the gameplay of an mmo, especially the hotkey based combat, does not exactly make for a great gameplay. If anything they should have gone for the GW model and made it one time purchase and charge for all the content upgrades (same for The Secret World, which I would love to play but I'm defineatly not going to pay a subscription fee for). Anyway, the only ones that thought SWTOR would be the wow killer were the moronic fanbois of that franchise.

For anyone who thinks a game w/o the traditional mmo model could not have any impact on wow, should really look at D3. My server was already on its last breath but D3 not just killed it - it nuked it into oblivion. GW2 will not kill wow, but it will, once again, take a few ppl away from it, especially the people that care about pvp, because GW2 is alot easier to balance than WoW.

Btw, I will take out my crystal ball and make some prophecies about the MMO market:
    GW2 will be a giant success. The initial sales will be well within the expectations. Most will not play it forever, but no one cares as they not run on subscriptions.
    SWTOR will sooner than later change its model to keep up with the ever new releasing F2P games that threaten to kill it.
    The Secret World will as well go F2P because the initial model can't sustain the game and scares potential buyers away.
    The TES-MMO will utterly fail because the stupid comic graphic has nothing to do with the original TES feeling, as well as the hotkey based combat system. Even "block" will not save it.
    "Titan" will not release for another 5 years, because milking WoW is way to profitable.
    And last but not least: WoW earns blizzard a shitload of money with the initial MoP sale, but people realize the game is still the same and the new features are not as great as they were hyped to be. The cycle will continue as more and more people leave the game after the initial batch of content. The attempt at another 1YP will still earn blizzard a ton of guaranteed revenue, but will be alot less successfull than the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyman View Post
    You assuming that less number of players will buy/play MoP if it is released in November than if in August, which is strange. Those who are not planning to play next expansion already cancelled their subs. Some of those who are looking forward to MoP might have stopped their subs but as easily will resume it 2-4 weeks before release.
    I'm saying there is zero financial benefit to delaying the expansion. The financial penalty for delaying the expansion unnecessarily will be reduced, but it will still be there.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

I think the Poll should be extended with November.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Falrinn View Post
    I'm saying there is zero financial benefit to delaying the expansion. The financial penalty for delaying the expansion unnecessarily will be reduced, but it will still be there.
    mmm..., expansion will get old in 8 months no matter when you release it. Then you'll need another content patch i.e. more development effort. If your development resources are limited and next patch isn't even in the plan yet, it doesn't really matter when people will stop paying subs, now or in February 2013 after 5.0.1 become boring.

Late october early november.

Beta is still going, release date would usually be 2 months in advance, cinematic is usually also two to three months in advance, jade forest is still in construction etc.