View Poll Results: Which date seems realistic for release?

Voters
2187. This poll is closed
  • August 28

260 11.89%
  • September 4

211 9.65%
  • September 11

213 9.74%
  • September 18

380 17.38%
  • September 25

449 20.53%
  • OCTOBER 2

674 30.82%
Page 52 of 81 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ganodorf View Post
    This is indeed true BUT, since they always respected the 2 months window of time between announcement and release i think it is more likely that they will respect it this time too..rather then hoping that they informed the shops internally (which is more unlikely imo)...
    Ofc i hope that it comes out earlier too...but i am not vey optimistic..
    Not always, WoW launched three weeks after the date was announced. They do not need to make a public announcement two months in advanced as long as those high up on the distribution chain already know.

Don't see why it can be unlikely, Apple does it like twice a year and the closer to release Blizzard announces it the bigger the advertising blitz can be since they won't have their marketing budget spread out as far.

Quote Originally Posted by PHOENIXZERO View Post
    Not always, WoW launched three weeks after the date was announced. They do not need to make a public announcement two months in advanced as long as those high up on the distribution chain already know.

Don't see why it can be unlikely, Apple does it like twice a year and the closer to release Blizzard announces it the bigger the advertising blitz can be since they won't have their marketing budget spread out as far.
    It's true. The problem, and the reason that people are looking very closely at the 60 day window, is that every Blizzard release since the original World of Warcraft client in 2004 has fallen into that window. Even though other companies do not follow that pattern, it seems odd/unlikely that Blizzard would break an 8-year pattern.

That's not to say it's impossible, though-- but that is why it is "unlikely."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    It's true. The problem, and the reason that people are looking very closely at the 60 day window, is that every Blizzard release since the original World of Warcraft client in 2004 has fallen into that window. Even though other companies do not follow that pattern, it seems odd/unlikely that Blizzard would break an 8-year pattern.

That's not to say it's impossible, though-- but that is why it is "unlikely."
    Blizzard has always done a Friends and Family Alpha and NEVER have done a full scale open beta. There is a list of things Blizzard has been differently lately. It might seem odd/unlikely that Blizzard would break an 8-year pattern.

That's not to say it's impossible, though-- Wait... it's been happening... why can't we say it's not "unlikely"? and could be "possible"?

Daetur, you and I see so eye to eye, but you are falling back into the trap of "but Blizzard has always done it that way!" instead of looking at the facts of the situation. They are not following "Blizzard Traditions" this cycle. Why would they all of a sudden snap back to doing so now? I'm not say they won't 100% but you have to admit it's a lot more than an "unlikely" if you look at the going track record currently. Open your minds and look at the evidence and CURRENT patterns.

Every "prediction" someone has made of late "according" to past predicts have failed.... Launching of the PTR days and times are not matching past ones for example. New patterns have evolved, analyze.
    Last edited by Bristae; 2012-07-18 at 08:54 PM.
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't be surprised if it went to November/December.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DomesticViolence View Post
    HAHA I would be ... I would crap a kitten. :P But I also know more than the average MMO-C person too :P
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.

The thing I actually like about having 2 months advance notice of an expac's release is that I can plan around that date by taking time off from work or not scheduling a trip, etc. If Blizzard truly intends to shock the community by giving us very short notice (e.g., at the cinematic, say "Mists comes out in two weeks!"), I would imagine some folks (myself included) would gripe that it's too late to change schedules or other commitments. Also, some people might want to save up some cash for the game as well - 2 months notice is helpful for that.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were wrong.

What exactly are we going to test until November? or even the end of October, if they shut the beta down a month before a release in Nov?
    WOW simply evolved to remove tedium that for some people celebrate as difficulty or work from the game so that people spent more time enjoying the game instead of seeing it as a job. -ZeroWashu

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by brothernads View Post
    The thing I actually like about having 2 months advance notice of an expac's release is that I can plan around that date by taking time off from work or not scheduling a trip, etc. If Blizzard truly intends to shock the community by giving us very short notice (e.g., at the cinematic, say "Mists comes out in two weeks!"), I would imagine some folks (myself included) would gripe that it's too late to change schedules or other commitments. Also, some people might want to save up some cash for the game as well - 2 months notice is helpful for that.
    2 Months is perfect for organising things, not sure what I'd prefer sooner shock release or decent notice :/

lol....most people forget one thing in this thread.....their are also holidays in wow. and looking at them...their are in sep.oct.nov only 2 launch days possible per month...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neolithic View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if you were wrong.
    Yeah? Well I wouldn't be surprised if you were. What makes you think there won't be new builds and bugs? Maybe there's more to add and polish.
    Last edited by Bosen; 2012-07-18 at 09:05 PM.

Just as long as it doesn't come out before September I'll be fine. I still enjoy playing the game as it stands so I'm in no rush.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know I can not comment either way on that. Because comfirming or denying comments are semi damning there. But Regardless of what happens I'm sure Blizzard will give people enough time for all of the above within reason enough. What ever people may or may not think of the those guys there. Overall Blizzard IS in control NOT Blizzard Activision and NOT Vivendi Games. They answer to only themselves. They are autonomous. And they do care about their fans.
    Fanboy (Fanboi):

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm still leaning on August, but more on hope than anything else. The sooner this expansion comes out, the better!
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    I'm still leaning on August, but more on hope than anything else. The sooner this expansion comes out, the better!
    We can hope

Quote Originally Posted by Bristae View Post
    You know I can not comment either way on that. Because comfirming or denying comments are semi damning there. But Regardless of what happens I'm sure Blizzard will give people enough time for all of the above within reason enough. What ever people may or may not think of the those guys there. Overall Blizzard IS in control NOT Blizzard Activision and NOT Vivendi Games. They answer to only themselves. They are autonomous. And they do care about their fans.
    Hrm, not sure what "enough time for all of the above within reason" means. Sounds like they want to have a "surprise" release date announcement, but are trying not to piss off the community. For me, the more advance notice I have, the better. If we don't get the standard two months, it'll definitely throw a wrench in my plans to enjoy the content when it's released.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristae View Post
    Blizzard has always done a Friends and Family Alpha and NEVER have done a full scale open beta. There is a list of things Blizzard has been differently lately. It might seem odd/unlikely that Blizzard would break an 8-year pattern.

That's not to say it's impossible, though-- Wait... it's been happening... why can't we say it's not "unlikely"? and could be "possible"?

Daetur, you and I see so eye to eye, but you are falling back into the trap of "but Blizzard has always done it that way!" instead of looking at the facts of the situation. They are not following "Blizzard Traditions" this cycle. Why would they all of a sudden snap back to doing so now? I'm not say they won't 100% but you have to admit it's a lot more than an "unlikely" if you look at the going track record currently. Open your minds and look at the evidence and CURRENT patterns.

Every "prediction" someone has made of late "according" to past predicts have failed.... Launching of the PTR days and times are not matching past ones for example. New patterns have evolved, analyze.
    I think you may be slightly misunderstanding the context of that post-- I was simply explaining why people say it's unlikely-- what the thought process behind that mindset is.

I said earlier, in terms of my own views, that, while I am slightly worried for my own predictions if they stick to their 60-day public warning pattern, a lot of other information is still pointing towards an early September release, and we therefore cannot rule out the possibility of a shorter announcement window.

When people say that it is unlikely, they're usually saying that it's not likely for Blizzard. "Unlikely" doesn't mean "impossible," though, and it was "unlikely" that they'd skip the Friends and Family Alpha, as far as everyone expected. It wasn't impossible. I feel that this is pretty much the same thing.
    Last edited by Daetur; 2012-07-18 at 09:15 PM.

Deleted
    Hrm, not sure what "enough time for all of the above within reason" means. Sounds like they want to have a "surprise" release date announcement, but are trying not to piss off the community. For me, the more advance notice I have, the better. If we don't get the standard two months, it'll definitely throw a wrench in my plans to enjoy the content when it's released.
    Half the game is working out if Bristae actually knows more than us or it's just a troll.

Yeah? Well I wouldn't be surprised if you were. What makes you think there won't be new builds and bugs? Maybe there's more to add and polish.
    Again...a release in Nov/Dec, would be another THREE months of beta, that's not going to happen. There is of course going to be new builds, and probably bugs with them. But they have all the big ticket items in place now (pet battles was the last major item to go in), everything from here out, is going to be numbers tweaking, bug stomping, and polish. They are going to be done heroic raid testing within a week. They likely, will test 25 mans in an LFR type setting to test the new loot system, while also seeing how the encounters react to 25 people. At most, there is 3-4 weeks of raid testing left. Then what are we going to test?? Are we going to sit around for 2 months playing with our pet battles? Leveling content is tested, the Jade Forest revamp MIGHT be put back in for testing, I suspect it is actually being revamped to have a more inclusive storyline for the zone/expansion, and they don't want it being ruined during the beta, but now that they know the zone itself works, they just have to go back and add new structures, and quests, and NPC's.

I didn't mean to sound crass in my response to you, if I did, I apologize, it's a 100+ here, and I've been cutting down trees all day. :/
    WOW simply evolved to remove tedium that for some people celebrate as difficulty or work from the game so that people spent more time enjoying the game instead of seeing it as a job. -ZeroWashu

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neolithic View Post
    Again...a release in Nov/Dec, would be another THREE months of beta, that's not going to happen. There is of course going to be new builds, and probably bugs with them. But they have all the big ticket items in place now (pet battles was the last major item to go in), everything from here out, is going to be numbers tweaking, bug stomping, and polish. They are going to be done heroic raid testing within a week. They likely, will test 25 mans in an LFR type setting to test the new loot system, while also seeing how the encounters react to 25 people. At most, there is 3-4 weeks of raid testing left. Then what are we going to test?? Are we going to sit around for 2 months playing with our pet battles? Leveling content is tested, the Jade Forest revamp MIGHT be put back in for testing, I suspect it is actually being revamped to have a more inclusive storyline for the zone/expansion, and they don't want it being ruined during the beta, but now that they know the zone itself works, they just have to go back and add new structures, and quests, and NPC's.

I didn't mean to sound crass in my response to you, if I did, I apologize, it's a 100+ here, and I've been cutting down trees all day. :/
    I can't quite remember how 'big' Tillers is supposed to be but I'd say that's the last thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    I think you may be slightly misunderstanding the context of that post-- I was simply explaining why people say it's unlikely-- what the thought process behind that mindset is.

I said earlier, in terms of my own views, that, while I am slightly worried for my own predictions if they stick to their 60-day public warning pattern, a lot of other information is still pointing towards an early September release, and we therefore cannot rule out the possibility of a shorter window.

When people say that it is unlikely, they're usually saying that it's not likely for Blizzard. "Unlikely" doesn't mean "impossible," though, and it was "unlikely" that they'd skip the Friends and Family Alpha, as far as everyone expected. It wasn't impossible. I feel that this is pretty much the same thing.
    Ah ok... I did misunderstand you :P So... I knew we mostly saw eye to eye. lol You are really good at seeing the facts for what they are and understand the concepts I'm talking about. I was confused at your post. lol. oh welll my bad. I've been really sick the last few days. This blasted stomach bug is kicking my ass.

---------- Post added 2012-07-18 at 02:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zyalo View Post
    Half the game is working out if Bristae actually knows more than us or it's just a troll.
    My ex-wife used to call me a hairy troll! lol. but no I'm not a troll. I'm not here trying to stir up angst against WoW. I love this game and always have. I'm just hating seeing the doom and gloom and people being so negative when they shouldn't be and if they'd just stop being such Debbie downers and just listen and look honestly they'd realize the same things that others have, I'm just trying to point out things to help that out. Daetur is a good resource to listen to. He may not be 100% right. But he's got a good mindset to follow.
    Fanboy (Fanboi):