Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Meelee useless in higher lvls..

I played barb for funzies in normal. But i expected it to get "unfun" realy fast..
    My reason for this is.. kiting with a meelee class..

It seems to me you will have to do alot of kiting as meelee in the higher lvls / bosses what makes it rly not fun to play a barb or monk.
    In inferno no matter what gear you have you will be running around doing 1 hit and then kitting for ages..

I switched to a ranged (dh).
    I think of you have the ambition to play inferno meelee is not the way to go..

Plz do correct me if i am wrong becaus i do LOVED playing barb.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Konoz View Post
    I played barb for funzies in normal. But i expected it to get "unfun" realy fast..
    My reason for this is.. kiting with a meelee class..

It seems to me you will have to do alot of kiting as meelee in the higher lvls / bosses what makes it rly not fun to play a barb or monk.
    In inferno no matter what gear you have you will be running around doing 1 hit and then kitting for ages..

I switched to a ranged (dh).
    I think of you have the ambition to play inferno meelee is not the way to go..

Plz do correct me if i am wrong becaus i do LOVED playing barb.
    ATM inferno act 2 and above is near impossible as a barbarian. hell is still pretty easy, but inferno feels like a brick wall.
    levelling a wizard now for MF'ing so my barb will get better gear.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    ATM inferno act 2 and above is near impossible as a barbarian. hell is still pretty easy, but inferno feels like a brick wall.
    levelling a wizard now for MF'ing so my barb will get better gear.
    You just confirmed my point.

Yeah I'm playing as a Barb in Hell right now. I just love mobs who run away from me endlessly and even into other packs of enemies. Run->Reach Your Target->Stop and Attack->Starting Running again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I am thinking the same. I am currently playing through act 2 in hell as barbar, but I find myself die way too often and even kiting for several minutes before I can get past that pack. I'm not really enjoying that part of the game anymore, I am just doing it to get past it... I've started leveling a wizard too. (Before people fire blame-missiles, let me say that I accept dying several times per act and on each boss, ut when you have rather decent gear, a sick weapon and a little over average gaming skills, it gets tiresome to get past this part spite that I use 1-2 hours each day running back to where I died.)

but dont barb get better armor and gear and stuff, and better abilities for attacking against and defending from melee (not arguing with you, just asking, I am playing a Witch Doctor right now but was gonna try a barb next)

Leap, Ancient Spear, Sprint, Weapon Throw, Charge...you have kiting abilities and gap closers. If you're having issues reaching targets, swap an ability in.

10+ Year Old Account
    the key is to play tanky
    aka you NEED to run with the armor shout... revenge specced for increased chance to proc the reduced damage of mobs shout ... etc etc ive yet to try running with 1h and shield but for even more armor
    but yea the key is armor shout and reduce damage of enemy shout...glyph rune passive skill everything go for armor and health...gear for str and vitality get nerves of steal the pound of flesh etc etc...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by questbeater View Post
    but dont barb get better armor and gear and stuff, and better abilities for attacking against and defending from melee (not arguing with you, just asking, I am playing a Witch Doctor right now but was gonna try a barb next)
    You cant get hit in inferno.. no matter what gear you have.. you will ALWAYS have to kite.. and kiting with a meelee is kinda rly boring..

In inferno you WD his pets will become useless.. they will get 1shot

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing tanky works well in hell (although you'll still be a lot slower than a wizard) but inferno act 2 will just molest you.

Can't speak for monk, though.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Konoz View Post
    You cant get hit in inferno.. no matter what gear you have.. you will ALWAYS have to kite.. and kiting with a meelee is kinda rly boring..

In inferno you WD his pets will become useless.. they will get 1shot
    ah ok thanks for clarifying

and my pets are useless against bosses even at normal lol.. I run around shooting darts at the bosses anyway

Deleted
    ah ok thanks for clarifying

and my pets are useless against bosses even at normal lol.. I run around shooting darts at the bosses anyway

Get used to it

---------- Post added 2012-05-22 at 11:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Playing tanky works well in hell (although you'll still be a lot slower than a wizard) but inferno act 2 will just molest you.

Can't speak for monk, though.
    Yes in hell.. Now try inferno =p

A friend of mine plays 2h in Inferno Act I, so it is definitely possible. Act I isn't too bad, though, so I'm sure it will be more difficult in Act II and probably not viable in III and IV. I'll probably have to take over tanking w/ my Wizard =/

Both barbs and monks are fantastic tanks, and can completely faceroll act bosses from normal through hell, with my monk I could ignore everything the boss did, stand in fire etc.. and just outheal it with ease.

But because of tuning inconsistencies, a normal mob in inferno start out hitting for only about 5k in ActI, and then suddenly jump to 22k a hit in ActIII, which is completely absurd and it currently renders tank barbs and monks all but useless in late Inferno.

Wizards don't have to worry much about mob damage because they can avoid being hit almost completely..
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

The biggest problem I have with the Melee classes at higher level is the fact that they HAVE to play tanky. Jay Wilson bragged about how there was going to be so many "viable" builds, rather than "optimal" builds. The truth is, if you are playing anything but a tanky melee character you will fail hard in Hell, and Inferno mode. I personally like playing a tank, and did so from 1-55, but the fact that I don't have the option of playing as DPS is annoying.

It also feels like I have my low DPS from wearing a shield, and because I can only hit the elite packs of mobs for 1-2 seconds before I have to run. I feel like I have 15% uptime while taking more damage than a ranged class who has 80% uptime while taking no damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    A friend of mine plays 2h in Inferno Act I, so it is definitely possible. Act I isn't too bad, though, so I'm sure it will be more difficult in Act II and probably not viable in III and IV. I'll probably have to take over tanking w/ my Wizard =/
    I am not saying it aint impossible.. i am saying it will be no fun.. Is your friend kiting 24/7?? If not link spec quick :d
    And indeed a ranged will have less trouble (with a skilled player ofc)

Your saying, that your kiting as a barb? Build tank or very tanky. I play as a DH, and I die fast as hell at nightmare with duo. So, range = kite, melee = destroy.
    Barb is overrated, they never die !
    Well, they do but w/e
    If you watch Kripp, you'll see he did butcher inferno post enrage.

I don't know about everyone else, but as a monk, I had to submit to the AH before being comfortable tanking inferno.

Before buying stuffs, the zombies were hitting for around 10k.

After stacking my resists up to 400, it went back to 5k and everything suddenly became doable. (except for some of the nasty elite pack combinations like fire chains, and fire chains, and fire chains)

ín hell blue/yellow enemys are sometimes unkillable as barb and often you need to kite over minutes
    the main problem i see is that you have nearly the same dmg reduction as meele but you would need much more.
    actbosses are still too easy for all classes in compare with some yellows

Barbarians and monks both take 30% less damage to compensate for this, monks can spam mantra of healing with the bubble rune, as well as serenity, i'm not sure how barbarians cope with the kiting