Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Yes I saw that this morning looking forward to it.

Hopefully means the game is more secure (less chance of cheating scum bags!)

Deleted
    Doesn't surprise me. I reckon all it means is that they'll package the content required for DayZ already (Skins and Chernarus from ArmA2, files from OpA, HD Merc skins from PMC, etc) and slap it under one version. Makes sense to me, but given how much money they make off "Combined Operations" I reckon it'll cost the same just without the whole install the mod part of it obviously.

At least ArmA2's servers won't be flooded with hackers and kiddies any more.

I wouldn't hold your breath for the "hacker problem" being resolved though. It's just ArmA2 with different files tossed around and sold together. That's why the mod will still be supported. All this will do is restrict you to DayZ content and server files, whilst playing 'the mod' will garner you the same experience just with the ArmA content there as well. It wouldn't surprise me if they let mod and 'DayZ Game' players on the same server either.
    Last edited by mmoc8a29730aed; 2012-08-07 at 04:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    DayZ will be going standalone in the near future. The current ArmA 2 mod will recieve the same updates in parallel as the standalone version.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/07/da...the-beginning/
    Ok Im a bit confused. So those already playing DayZ via Arma2CO and the mod will not be required to buy the standalone? I assumed that we would be required and honestly didnt have a major issue with it. But now Im confused.

Edit: nm, I realized what it meant was that they will continue to update the mod while working on the standalone. Of course their intentions are sound but I highly doubt they are going to continue to improve the mod at the same rate Rocket will be developing his standalone where he is not hindered by the Arma2 engine.
    Last edited by philefluxx; 2012-08-07 at 05:19 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CHALET View Post
    Doesn't surprise me. I reckon all it means is that they'll package the content required for DayZ already (Skins and Chernarus from ArmA2, files from OpA, HD Merc skins from PMC, etc) and slap it under one version. Makes sense to me, but given how much money they make off "Combined Operations" I reckon it'll cost the same just without the whole install the mod part of it obviously..
    I think it will use the Arma 3 engine rather than just a package of all the files needed for DayZ

Quote Originally Posted by bekilrwale View Post
    Would prefer an M107, willing to trade one of those?
    Why? The AS50 has better zero'ing and can use M107 ammo just fine. The AS50 ammo is just more powerful, mostly against vehicles, if you can find it.

Deleted
    If it uses the Arma 3 engine, won't the system requirements be pretty high ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Why? The AS50 has better zero'ing and can use M107 ammo just fine. The AS50 ammo is just more powerful, mostly against vehicles, if you can find it.
    When you can zero up to 1.2km, there is really no need for anymore. My farthest killshot is 1.1km and I did that with an M107 zero'd at like 800m, just factor in some bullet drop. The real reason I like the M107 over the AS50 is the feel of the gun, I mean when you fire that thing it sounds like you just shot some god damn artillery. Last night I killed a bandit with a GPS, NVG, Rangefinder, and an AS50 with 3 NATO mags so I have both now anyway.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

My M107 got eaten by the hive the other day I somehow ended up with two M4A1 CCO SD's and still have my M107 ammo...not sure what I need 2 for.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Edit: nm, I realized what it meant was that they will continue to update the mod while working on the standalone. Of course their intentions are sound but I highly doubt they are going to continue to improve the mod at the same rate Rocket will be developing his standalone where he is not hindered by the Arma2 engine.
    He'll still be running it on the ArmA2 engine. He said a while back he wanted it out for the end of the year. That implies it'll just be a "repackaged" ArmA2 that only includes the files needed for DayZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Fysi View Post
    I think it will use the Arma 3 engine rather than just a package of all the files needed for DayZ
    I highly doubt it. ArmA3 will have very, very, high specs. A lot of people will decent rigs already have a problem running DayZ as it is. I reckon he'll stick to ArmA2's engine. Graphically it's sound anyway, plus it will draw in more potential buyers than swapping to ArmA3 would when everybody says "Don't bother, you need a super computer". The fact he said they'll support the mod also implies DayZ is just going to be a "easier to install" version of the mod. Limnos (ArmA 3's setting) also doesn't seem as suited to the whole survival aspect as Chernarus does.
    Last edited by mmoc8a29730aed; 2012-08-07 at 07:13 PM.

He'll still be running it on the ArmA2 engine. He said a while back he wanted it out for the end of the year. That implies it'll just be a "repackaged" ArmA2 that only includes the files needed for DayZ.

I highly doubt it. ArmA3 will have very, very, high specs. A lot of people will decent rigs already have a problem running DayZ as it is. I reckon he'll stick to ArmA2's engine. The fact he said they'll support the mod also implies DayZ is just going to be a "easier to install" version of the mod. Limnos (ArmA 3's setting) also doesn't seem as suited to the whole survival aspect as Chernarus does.
    He said recently on a stream that he's planning on using parts of the Arma 3 engine, which probably means largely edited, and he also said that the Arma 3 engine is basically an edited version of the Arma 2 engine, there's no problems porting it over. He's got the license to use the Arma 3 engine.

Also, why would he only be able to use Limnos? The engine is so similar that he can use whatever map he wants, and probably also add new one // add porting to have multiple large maps to play on or some stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    My M107 got eaten by the hive the other day I somehow ended up with two M4A1 CCO SD's and still have my M107 ammo...not sure what I need 2 for.
    You have two hands, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Im not so sure about that now man. I think now that BI is backing Rocket a Dec release for a standalone is out the window. Realistically I think that we will see the stand alone in a year. The fact that he even mentions trying to keep the mod updated in parallel seems to convey it may take much longer than what was originally intended. Besides, it would be stupid to build a standalone on the Arma2 engine now that BI is backing him. Remember the post says BI is heading up a DayZ project with Rocket as the lead dev. Basically he got bought out by BI and they will fund him to create the standalone. Why in the hell would he be given all those resources available from BI to continue to develop like he is still sitting in his garage?

Deleted
    Im not so sure about that now man. I think now that BI is backing Rocket a Dec release for a standalone is out the window. Realistically I think that we will see the stand alone in a year. The fact that he even mentions trying to keep the mod updated in parallel seems to convey it may take much longer than what was originally intended. Besides, it would be stupid to build a standalone on the Arma2 engine now that BI is backing him. Remember the post says BI is heading up a DayZ project with Rocket as the lead dev. Basically he got bought out by BI and they will fund him to create the standalone. Why in the hell would he be given all those resources available from BI to continue to develop like he is still sitting in his garage?
    Bought out by BI? He was already working with them for years as a regular BI developer. They pulled off ArmA3 to exclusively work on the mod months ago. BI have always been backing him up once the mod proved profitable. DayZ works so well because it's based fundamentally off the simulator; it's basically just ArmA with zombie and weapon spawns. If anything it would be stupid to do anything but stick to the ArmA engine.

Rocket said "something would have to go extremely wrong if we didn't have something by november", so by this year is definitely still the goal.
    And he didn't really "get bought" by BI, he already worked there before, he just got re-assigned.

If anything it would be stupid to do anything but stick to the ArmA engine.
    As long as they change the engine enough so that it's not based on scripts anymore and more on the actual server it's fine, but if they don't then everything is for nothing.
    Last edited by Ighox; 2012-08-07 at 09:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bought out by BI? He was already working with them for years as a regular BI developer. They pulled off ArmA3 to exclusively work on the mod months ago. BI have always been backing him up once the mod proved profitable. DayZ works so well because it's based fundamentally off the simulator; it's basically just ArmA with zombie and weapon spawns. If anything it would be stupid to do anything but stick to the ArmA engine.
    When I say "bought out" I dont mean it in terms of "Rocket is a sell out". The mod was his, regardless of who he worked for, so now BI has recognized that this mod is what is selling their game over games like BF3 and not for the military simulator. The DayZ mod and name are his, not BI's so they had to "purchase" in some way the ability to brand and market DayZ, hence "bought out". Even if all that means was they gave Rocket lead dev on the project, they still had to have his consent to have DayZ.

Why would it be stupid to not stick with the Arma2 engine? Why build a standalone game on a old engine? How many times has Rocket himself said "Id love to do that, but Im not sure the engine will handle it". Furthermore hes going to have to rewrite a huge portion of the engine due to its generosity with client run scripts. Thats not the client that allows it, that's the engine. So he is already pouring a huge amount of work just to resolve a design choice for the engine that conflicts with his game, but you think he'd be crazy to not stick with it? Im not saying he wont, but saying its crazy to not stick with it is whats crazy. Options are a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ighox View Post
    Rocket said "something would have to go extremely wrong if we didn't have something by november", so by this year is definitely still the goal.
    And he didn't really "get bought" by BI, he already worked there before, he just got re-assigned.

As long as they change the engine enough so that it's not based on scripts anymore and more on the actual server it's fine, but if they don't then everything is for nothing.
    Rocket did say that, before this announcement and something like a month ago. Things have been changing for Rocket on a daily basis, I wouldnt put too much salt on anything he said pre BI's announcement to back him in DayZ
    Last edited by philefluxx; 2012-08-07 at 10:38 PM.

Deleted
    When I say "bought out" I dont mean it in terms of "Rocket is a sell out". The mod was his, regardless of who he worked for, so now BI has recognized that this mod is what is selling their game over games like BF3 and not for the military simulator. The DayZ mod and name are his, not BI's so they had to "purchase" in some way the ability to brand and market DayZ, hence "bought out". Even if all that means was they gave Rocket lead dev on the project, they still had to have his consent to have DayZ.
    BI probably make more money off their military contractors than DayZ ever will. Just saying. Technically DayZ belonged to BI from the start - as does all content created as a mod to ArmA - they're just not dicks about letting people do what they want with it.

Why would it be stupid to not stick with the Arma2 engine? Why build a standalone game on a old engine? How many times has Rocket himself said "Id love to do that, but Im not sure the engine will handle it". Furthermore hes going to have to rewrite a huge portion of the engine due to its generosity with client run scripts. Thats not the client that allows it, that's the engine. So he is already pouring a huge amount of work just to resolve a design choice for the engine that conflicts with his game, but you think he'd be crazy to not stick with it? Im not saying he wont, but saying its crazy to not stick with it is whats crazy. Options are a good thing.
    Because creating a whole new engine is a massive endeavour and ArmA's works just fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Why do you think AAA companies still use the Unreal Engine despite probably having the funding to develop their own? Tweak it by all means, but it would be a waste of millions. DayZ stands out because it runs off a military simulator. You're still playing ArmA. It's still ArmA 2 PvP only exclusively with scattered weapons and a few zombie NPC spawns. If half the people who played DayZ actually played the other 90% of the content they bought they would know that.
    Last edited by mmoc8a29730aed; 2012-08-07 at 10:53 PM.

Rocket did say that, before this announcement and something like a month ago. Things have been changing for Rocket on a daily basis, I wouldnt put too much salt on anything he said pre BI's announcement to back him in DayZ
    More like 4-5 hours ago.

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    You have two hands, right?
    Yeah but the other hand is used for gripping my other "gun" whenever I kill someone :E

deeeeeez

10+ Year Old Account
    BI probably make more money off their military contractors than DayZ ever will. Just saying. Technically DayZ belonged to BI from the start - as does all content created as a mod to ArmA - they're just not dicks about letting people do what they want with it.

Because creating a whole new engine is a massive endeavour and ArmA's works just fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Why do you think AAA companies still use the Unreal Engine despite probably having the funding to develop their own? Tweak it by all means, but it would be a waste of millions. DayZ stands out because it runs off a military simulator. You're still playing ArmA. It's still ArmA 2 PvP only exclusively with scattered weapons and a few zombie NPC spawns. If half the people who played DayZ actually played the other 90% of the content they bought they would know that.
    BI isnt the only one contracted to build military sims, in fact the military is looking for a new bidder as we speak so BI isnt as well off as youd like to think without DayZ. Also you keep saying the Arma engine, DayZ runs on the Arma2 engine and Arma3 will be running on their new Arma3 engine. So why would Rocket want to stay on a outdated engine when a new engine built by the same company that created the engine he currently works with has a new engine already developed?

---------- Post added 2012-08-07 at 04:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ighox View Post
    More like 4-5 hours ago.
    I stand corrected, thank you for this info.

Deleted
    BI isnt the only one contracted to build military sims, in fact the military is looking for a new bidder as we speak so BI isnt as well off as youd like to think without DayZ. Also you keep saying the Arma engine, DayZ runs on the Arma2 engine and Arma3 will be running on their new Arma3 engine. So why would Rocket want to stay on a outdated engine when a new engine built by the same company that created the engine he currently works with has a new engine already developed?
    'The' military? Plenty use the ArmA engine, plus they need engineers from BI or at least train people to do it. I'm just tired of DayZ fans acting holier than thou about buying the game, as if BI was some cellar-ran company who paid their staff on tinned beans and filtered salt water and Rocket is their messiah who will lead them across the holy land of "omg zombeiz so kewl111!" and that BI should be bowing before people who got it in the Steam sale as their saviours. The fact they spent years developing a sequel - plus DLC - in what was already a very niche market should make it clear BI would have been fine without DayZ, it just got them a good injection of cash more.

The DayZ port will just be ArmA2 repackaged. ArmA3 will have very high system requirements, plus people still struggle to run ArmA2 even to this day. By just tweaking the existing engine it means they can support both 'mod players' and the newbies who purchase it stand-alone with alienating either party nor forcing people who only picked up Combined Operations a few months back to pay out all over again.
    Last edited by mmoc8a29730aed; 2012-08-07 at 11:34 PM.