Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Wait for standalone, that said the current version is still tons of fun if you're into playing on a populated server and are willing to die a lot. Playing solo is horrible though, you almost always want at least 1 other person with you.
    Pretty much sums it up. While both ARMA and DayZ are fun enough to justify the cost, the stand alone is close enough that it's worth the wait. It's an extremely unforgiving game with a steep learning curve, mostly because once you learn how to survive/scavenge, the only thing left to do is either hunt friendlies, bandits or both. Having someone to cover you while you rummage through a grocery store instead of getting shot in the back looking for a can of beans is nice, too.

I bought ARMA II (on sale) over all the DayZ hype too. I was sadly disappointed. Its not terrible but hugely overrated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Wasn't it rated as one of the worst games ever made? And wasn't there mass refunds on steam because it was so bad?
    This is exactly why Rocket was so pissed. People that don't know the difference between DayZ and WarZ will get them mixed up and put them in the same fail bucket.

As for the SA, I predict it will be out by October 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Weezing View Post
    This is exactly why Rocket was so pissed. People that don't know the difference between DayZ and WarZ will get them mixed up and put them in the same fail bucket.

Yeah that truly is the most disappointing thing. WarZ was such a colossal fucking failure and you still have people mixing them up.

DayZ is awesome fun. I never thought playing "find the beans" would be so amazing.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Weezing View Post

Seem to remember him saying he even had a family member (cousins husband or something) asking him questions because he thought the WarZ controversy was related to DayZ .

I haven't been playing it much lately, mainly due to waiting for the standalone, but it's still enjoyable when I go on. I normally play on whitelist private hives and went on a standard server the other day and my character was 317 days old, ran around on the island a bit then logged out because I didn't want to die .

I'd recommend taking a look at the standard Arma2 gameplay as well, can be pretty fun playing co-op missions with 3 friends, might make it worth it overall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Excellent mod, something very different than anything you have ever played. Having said that, its not for everyone so dont be pissed or surprised if you dont like it. Its a completely different animal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish I had friends that played this game. DayZ origins looks so cool. I would love to build a fort, but as a lonewolf this is the hardest since everyone seems to be kill on sight happy lately.
    You either love or hate Day Z.

"In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Ya.... When I read that he was going to climb Everest and we have had an ALPHA release date pushed back like 3 times now its left me a little sour. Ill still buy his game, but WTF man! Just because WarZ flopped, as we all knew it would, doesnt mean you got time to take a vacation now that your on the Bohemia payroll again...

10+ Year Old Account
    I really hope he doesn't die up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Neither, its great.

You cant go wrong with DayZ, if your willing to look past the bugs and problems associated with ARMA and get yourself some allies then your going to play one of the best multiplayer experiences out there.
    lol I think the bugs add to the quirky nature of the game sometimes. Friend of mine would get very ragey about them...but we eventually just called it "being arma 2'd"...usually involved crawling across doorways or very small bumps in the ground or doorjams...and your legs would break in half for no fuckin reason...or sprinting into another person would knock them unconscious for almost 10 minutes. "ARMA 2'd"

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    It does add a depth to the game, my friends legs broke on a tree 2 hours sprint from the nearest hospital. He ended up crawling and fighting off zombies on his own, while I sprinted ahead to get morphine.
    hahaha that's awesome

fuck I wanna play DayZ now.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-04-22 at 09:40 PM.

Deleted
    Yes, getting killed by an outhouse door.... "depth". Personally i didn't enjoy it that much but that was very early on when it wasn't really even being considered for a standalone game and i'm sure they ironed out a few of the issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meteoria View Post
    Yes, getting killed by an outhouse door.... "depth". Personally i didn't enjoy it that much but that was very early on when it wasn't really even being considered for a standalone game and i'm sure they ironed out a few of the issues with it.
    from a lot of the alpha stuff and dev blogs it looks pretty awesome. One of the biggest issues was the inventory and the Arma 2.5 and the Arma 3 inventory system that DayZ is using is fuckin awesome. Weapons are all customizable etc. Your clothing actually has pockets!

I liked DayZ before it was popular 'cause I'm a hipster.

Nah, not really the reason. All the public servers just became so overflooded by ganking squads that the original essence of the game vanished. It is still pretty damn great on private servers and a lot of them are good because they also tend to provide further fixes to the mod now that the dude behind his has abandoned it for the Standalone version (Which is entirely understandable)
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

15+ Year Old Account
    It could be amazing if it was built perfectly with no bugs etc. I love the concept and i try so hard to play the game but i can't play for long due to the insane amount of problems the game currently has.

Hopefully the standalone won't butcher the game but will improve on it.

Merged with megathread. Please check the stickies or use the search function before creating new threads.

Few questions...

Is this game fun?

I heard this game is best when you have atleast one person around with you, is that true?

According to the website, the requirement is ARMA II combined operations. On steam there is also the complete pack. Should i get the complete pack instead or combined operations?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Few questions...

Is this game fun?

I heard this game is best when you have atleast one person around with you, is that true?

According to the website, the requirement is ARMA II combined operations. On steam there is also the complete pack. Should i get the complete pack instead or combined operations?
    Yes, the game is fun. And true, it is 100x more enjoyable with someone else, but you can still have fun as a lonewolf, too. None of my friends play so I am usually playing lonewolf until I met someone else and team up with them.
    Also,
    The Day Z Mod requires both Arma II and Arma II: Operation Arrowhead. For the best experience (including high detail textures for all models used in the DayZ Mod) purchase Arma II: Complete Collection.

Is dayZ still good without the complete pack? I dont really care for the high details. What else is in the complete pack ?