Page 1 of 31
... LastLast

[Megathread] Arma II DayZ Mod

Anyone have any experience with the Day Z mod for Arma II? Looks like a blast and was considering picking up the Arma II bundle just to play it later tonight.

Those who are not familiar, Day Z creates a large sandbox Zombie survival scenario. Once you die you have to start over:

http://www.dayzmod.com/

Last edited by Sj; 2012-08-17 at 07:16 PM.

Isn't it still alpha? Game has so much potential to be an actual zombie game. I think Arma3 is in production as well, not sure. But once they get all the kinks worked out, this should be a very good game!

Quote Originally Posted by tangosmango View Post
    Isn't it still alpha? Game has so much potential to be an actual zombie game. I think Arma3 is in production as well, not sure. But once they get all the kinks worked out, this should be a very good game!
    Yeah, it's still in alpha. I'm downloading ArmA II at the moment. Taking a while, then I'll have to download the mod, but I'll definitely report back.

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    Yeah, it's still in alpha. I'm downloading ArmA II at the moment. Taking a while, then I'll have to download the mod, but I'll definitely report back.
    This game is pretty amazing, the freedom and scope of the game is what makes it awesome. I played it for 4 nights straight but got a little burnt out on it. Being able to murder and be murdered at any time is an amazingly exiting thing.

All my friends that play ArmA say this is the mod to get and the had stopped playing the game until this mod came out.

But then again there is only two of them, so yea... If you like ARMA, get the mod.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's an amazing mod to play, it's pretty much got me away from all other games.

Side note it's half the price for combined operations on amazon than going through steam.

You can get just Operation Arrowhead on steam for 20 bucks and use the free version which has bad game textures/or get Combined operations with good textures for 30 bucks on steam.

Or just go through amazon and get combined for cheaper than OA is on steam. Really makes a lot of sense >.>

I bought Arma 2: CO just for this mod. I was not disappointed, infact this is the best game mod I have ever played. PS: this mod pushed Arma 2 to the best selling game on Steam
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having a great time playing this as a team of 2 with a mate, once you get used to the basics of the game the fun to be had and, as mentioned, the potential for future features is just great. The mod will be basically directly transferable to Arma III which looks fantastic on its own.

I was laughing with my friend that the only times we've died so far have been to players. First was near Zub (the watchtower/castle) where I got shot at, killed the attacker but alerted a zombie who knocked me unconscious in 1 hit (damn you 8900 blood). Latest was on the NW Airfield, heard a sniper shot and turned around to see my friends character go limp and fall to the ground, this was the most annoying one as I hid near his body waiting as the sniper tried to flank me but walked into the crosshairs of my Winchester, I fired 5 shots into his head and the server lagged before he shot me back then died, i fell over on -11,000 blood so relogged only to have to lie on the runway unconscious watching my blood count down from 10k to 0 .
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Is there any kind of X day trial or something for the game that'd allow me to try the mod out?

sometimes you work so hard to get good gear and then you lose it by dying to glitched zombies or some bandit snipes you from a mile away and you're like aghhhhh I am never playing this again

Then the next day you are loading up on the beach with your trusty pistol and can of beans and go back to it

So tell me
    What do you actually do in Day Z?

Not sure if this was the same mod but I saw a youtube vid of a game of Arma with 4 guys; it's set at night and begins with their vehicle running out of fuel. They then have to traverse down a country road and through a forest by flashlight while being attacked by zombies and stalked by some BAM. Apparently the BAM owned them in a previous game, and made a very distinct sound when approaching. The tension and excitement on vent was awesome. Hearing them jump in fear and fire blind in panic was epic. Hilarious the one or two times they panicked, broke and ran down the path in terror before they calmed down and regrouped. Listening to the tension mount and the paranoia as they swear they can hear the sound of the BAM off through the trees around them, in the dark.

It had a real Blair Witch feel to it except it didn't suck.

Quote Originally Posted by DStrux View Post
    So tell me
    What do you actually do in Day Z?
    It's a persistent survival/rougelike game, you scavenge from farms and towns for food, medicine, weapons, etc in order to survive which is the primary goal. Meanwhile other people are doing the same. Some will work with you others will murder you in cold blood so it makes for a very tense atmosphere where you never feel safe. Sometimes you'll live for days and other times for minutes.

I have been playing it for a while now, I resisted posting it on several game forums (this being one of them) as quite frankly, the community doesnt need more elitist jerk type players who feel entitled and better then others all the time

whilst this game is somewhat an equalizer in that nobody is above others, it wouldnt stop the attitude or forum posts, so i actively discourage people who are CoD generation players, who have nothing nice to say to people online to not try this game.

this may come across as mean spirited but hey, I refuse to let this game be ruined too.

Quote Originally Posted by hailey View Post
    It's a persistent survival/rougelike game,

How it's even remotely roguelike game? O.o

It's pure survival in a large scale persistent world and awesome at that. It's the sort of survival game I've been looking for since all those text/image based from 90's and late 80's where things like temperature, hunger, illness and shit really count and is based on exploration instead of grinding stuff. The world is large and well realized (No surprise, it's partly based on satellite data of real world locations) and due to the nature of Arma (And Bohemia Interactive in general), it's very much a simulation of everything that goes around from the speed of sound to the stars of the sky from which you can make out the directions if you have a know how.

It doesn't pander, it doesn't forgive and a simple mistake can lead to your death. (Firing that gun at wrong moment? Zombies around to hear it? Woot woot - the hurt train is incoming!)

My only regret is that it took a mod like DayZ to bring the what could be called the only real PC FPS game to the eyes of the general populace while the game itself should have deserved such coverage it has gotten now.

It is also a perfect example of how modding brings the positive out of the gaming while companies like EA and Activision are in full speed of trying to eradicate such for the sake of bigger DLC sales (With fan support I might add. I bet you too have seen these disgusting creatures defending their abysmal marketing and sales tactics). Arma 2's sales has increased five times from what they were pre-release of this mod and is now rivaling in top 3 of sales throughout the entire Steam.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    How it's even remotely roguelike game? O.o
    I'd say that it's roguelike in the sense that I spend 70% of my time crouched or prone and constantly consider how visable I am to any potential players, depends what people mean by roguelike exactly .
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    I'd say that it's roguelike in the sense that I spend 70% of my time crouched or prone and constantly consider how visable I am to any potential players, depends what people mean by roguelike exactly .
    But that has nothing, absolutely NOTHING with what roguelikes are about. O.o

Let me educate you. Back in early 80's a game named Rogue was made. It was a turn based dungeoncrawler game based on exploration of randomly created areas to find treasures and items through increasingly more harder dungeons. It was sort of RPG game in all other respects except it didn't have story to carry it along. It was a pure dungeon crawler.

It spawned entire genre similiar to it, some of the more famous being games like Nethack and to bigger extent of famous, Dungeons of Dredmor. Its main purpose is to explore random dungeons through increasing difficulties to gain better items to be able to progress further in the turn based game and nothing else. Diablo was originally a roguelike game before Blizzard bought the company making it (Which then became Blizzard North) but it was changed from turn based to real time, spawning it's entire own genre. (One of the things remaining from Diablo's original turn based roots was the movement speed, which was equal to every single creature and player)

Being crouched and prone has NOTHING to do with roguelikes at all. The entire name and definition of genre derives from "Game like Rogue"
    Last edited by Wilian; 2012-05-28 at 01:22 PM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I'll join in the fun when it goes on sale. Plus it should be improved by then.

its alpha and plays really bad, with a million bugs and glitches, server crashes, unable to connects, loadtimes that last 10 minutes. etc etc.
    Game potential:"9.5/10.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    But that has nothing, absolutely NOTHING with what roguelikes are about. O.o

Let me educate you. Back in early 80's a game named Rogue was made. It was a turn based dungeoncrawler game based on exploration of randomly created areas to find treasures and items through increasingly more harder dungeons. It was sort of RPG game in all other respects except it didn't have story to carry it along. It was a pure dungeon crawler.

It spawned entire genre similiar to it, some of the more famous being games like Nethack and to bigger extent of famous, Dungeons of Dredmor. Its main purpose is to explore random dungeons through increasing difficulties to gain better items to be able to progress further in the turn based game and nothing else. Diablo was originally a roguelike game before Blizzard bought the company making it (Which then became Blizzard North) but it was changed from turn based to real time, spawning it's entire own genre. (One of the things remaining from Diablo's original turn based roots was the movement speed, which was equal to every single creature and player)

Being crouched and prone has NOTHING to do with roguelikes at all. The entire name and definition of genre derives from "Game like Rogue"
    I know what Roguelike games are, I was pointing out that the term has more than one meaning. Think 'Stealthlike mechanics' rather than the genre of games.

*edit* On the subject of being stealthy, there is nothing more terrifying than clipping a certain bit of terrain while crawling prone through a city and your character stands up and starts sprinting hehe.
    Tip for new players: With most steps its better to go crouched (x) and walk (shift) into the house than risk going in prone. Can just go prone once inside if theres zombies about.
    Last edited by Nirawen; 2012-05-28 at 01:44 PM.
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,