Do I need a bed frame with a box spring?

So I'm moving out soon and buying a new bed with a box spring, and I was wondering whether it's really necessary to have a bed frame if I have the box spring. Is my mattress and/or box spring gonna get destroyed if I don't use a frame or will it be fine? I've talked to people who said it would be fine and others said I should really invest in one, but I'm a bit of a cheapskate sometimes and don't want to spend the money if I don't have to..

all that a bed frame does is hold the box spring off the floor. there is no special support or function that it serves other than that

Bed frame just adds height to your bed.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    It depends on the size, but there are very simple metal frames that you can buy that are quite cheap instead of putting the set on the floor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    If it were me, I would probably even go without a box spring, but I guess I'm just gangsta like that ...at that point though, I'd probably go with a futon (much cheaper).

Anyway, yeah, the frame isn't really necessary. Although I think it would look kind of...strange...with just a box spring and mattress sitting on the floor..?

That may just be me though... hah

10+ Year Old Account
    most bed mattresses and box springs and made to be a specific height, so that when stacked and placed on top of a bed frame.. they are at a generally comfortable sitting height, giving more ease into and out of bed. couple that idea with how linens are made, they generally accommodate for that extra space. it really serves no purpose then to elevate the bed to a more standard height. of course this height could feel too high or too low depending on the individual persons height. do you "need" a bed frame? not really.. unless you plan to use a head board/ foot board.. or feel that your bed sits entirely too low to the ground. personally.. it looks weird to me to just have a mattress and box spring laying on the floor. it looks unkempt. and generally lazy.
    Last edited by Sinndra; 2012-05-25 at 03:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Bed frame + box spring = getting out of bed

Mattress on floor = rolling out of bed

That and having a box spring and a bed frame may make you look like an adult.

10+ Year Old Account
    A bed frame also provides the service of minimizing creepy crawlies getting into your bed and also giving an area for cold air to push up under the bed.
    I like waffles!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiryia View Post
    A bed frame also provides the service of minimizing creepy crawlies getting into your bed and also giving an area for cold air to push up under the bed.
    oh i totally forgot about air circulation.. everybody loves that cool feeling when you roll over in bed.. having the mattress up off the floor allows the bed to "breath" thus speeding up the process of "ooooo the cool side" that everybody loves!
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    most bed matresses and box springs and made to be a specific height, so that when stacked and placed on top of a bed frame.. they are at a generally comfortable sitting height, giving more ease into and out of bed. couple that idea with how linens are made, they generally accommodate for that extra space. it really serves no purpose then to elevate the bed to a more standard height. of course this height could feel too high or too low depending on the individual persons height. do you "need" a bed frame? not really.. unless you plan to use a head board/ foot board.. or feel that your bed sits entirely too low to the ground. personally.. it looks weird to me to just have a mattress and box spring laying on the floor. it looks unkempt. and generally lazy.
    Well, the bed set that I bought has a bed skirt that would cover the box spring, so It would look the same as if it had a frame, but it would just be the box spring and mattress. I don't really need the under the bed storage or anything because I have a huge closet, and I don't like headboards, so honestly I don't think it would be worth it for me to spend the money on it. I was moreso curious if it would damage the bed at all if it didn't have proper support or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiryia View Post
    Tell that to the spider who was watching me sleep like a creepy little arachnid that he was.

If money is tight, go without. If you got some extra money laying around I would pick one up. Heck you could go without and check garage sells and see if you can score one for a couple bucks. After all, it's just a couple pieces of metal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blankfaced View Post
    That and having a box spring and a bed frame may make you look like an adult.
    Pfft. Overrated. lol

That and rolling out of bed is much safer when the bed is already on the floor with you.

Quote Originally Posted by garshmog View Post
    Well, the bed set that I bought has a bed skirt that would cover the box spring, so It would look the same as if it had a frame, but it would just be the box spring and mattress. I don't really need the under the bed storage or anything because I have a huge closet, and I don't like headboards, so honestly I don't think it would be worth it for me to spend the money on it. I was moreso curious if it would damage the bed at all if it didn't have proper support or something.
    it possibly might get a little droopy in spots where there isn't proper support. Is it the type of bed frame with the one metal bar across the middle, top, and bottom?
    a cheaper way to go might be just to get pieces of plywood and lay across to distribute the weight better

10+ Year Old Account
    i have slept without a bed frame for like 7 years, i love sleeping low to the ground. no girl has ever told me to get a fram either

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    i have slept without a bed frame for like 7 years, i love sleeping low to the ground. no girl has ever told me to get a fram either
    who questioned a girls need for a bed frame here?

You seem like a woman.

Make me a sammich.

NAO

On topic.

I used to just sleep with a mattress, now I have the whole deal. The frame makes it more comfortable imho, when it was just the box spring and mattress I'd get the worst sleep I ever had. The frame made the bed less...uncomfortable..
    Last edited by Shemade; 2012-05-25 at 03:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    my apologies forum officer from now on i will only answer direct questions from the OP and never add anything else to my posts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having your mattress on the floor is bad. Having your mattress on a boxspring with no frame isn't.

A frame has nothing to do with comfort outside of a badly ventilated room and you may have gotten too hot in the summer/too cold in the winter. A frame also doesn't prevent ventilation/improve airflow. If you use a boxspring it doesn't matter if it's on the floor or a frame. You won't tell a difference.

So basically, if you have a boxspring you don't need a frame. It won't hurt either of them, and you won't really tell a difference. If your room has bad airflow that's the one thing you may notice. I live in florida and in the winter being near the floor is really nice. If I lived up north, not so much. If I have bad airflow in my room, it will be really hot near the ground in the summer. Something to think about.

I didn't use a frame all through school. Honestly if my boyfriend wasn't so picky about sleeping I wouldn't be using one now.

10+ Year Old Account
    My gf and I used a cheap metal bed frame, but the other day, I took it off the bed frame and now it's just the wooden box thing with the mattress on top. It feels weird getting out of bed b/c it's now like 8 inches or so lower, but other than that, I've noticed no difference in anything.

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.