Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I have no idea what the images actually look like. I do know that they were effective enough to accurately find and kill insurgents. But, if you're comfortable with technology that was designed for the express purpose of finding, tracking, and killing people flying around over your head, that is certainly your right.
    Will you get mad if I will tell you that you may be a little bit paranoid?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Will you get mad if I will tell you that you may be a little bit paranoid?
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.

Edit: Also, I've got a tinfoil hat cat as an avatar, so I'm protected.
    Last edited by Beavis; 2012-05-25 at 06:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And what will they see? Red blobs, half of whose movements are not understandable. They cant hear you are saying, or see, what you are writing.
    You haven't seen the tech outside of a movie. It's much better than you think. They can not only see what size/shape you are, but easily distinguish facial features, precise movements, etc. And we've been able to listen to the goings on of a home for many years. What you are writing is the only thing on that list that is safe, unless you are within view of a window.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never understood why drones freaked people out more than already existant manned aircraft.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    You haven't seen the tech outside of a movie. It's much better than you think. They can not only see what size/shape you are, but easily distinguish facial features, precise movements, etc. And we've been able to listen to the goings on of a home for many years. What you are writing is the only thing on that list that is safe, unless you are within view of a window.
    Yep. Camera technology is so absurdly advanced. The cameras on American spy sats have a resolution of 4cm, meaning they can differentiate objects 4cm across. That's enough to read a license plate from space.

Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    Listen from drones? Suuuuuuuuuuuure...
    What drone carries that level IR technology? Its one thing when you are on ground, other, when 500m+ or more in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Never understood why drones freaked people out more than already existant manned aircraft.
    The average person for whatever thinks that the drone will not be able to react to its situation properly due to not knowing fully what is going on, although it is very likely that a drone will observe something for a much longer time before acting than a police officer would.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    They freak me out because they're made for surveillance and endurance. A police helicopter is way too expensive to buy, maintain, and fly to waste it by having it meander around . A drone, on the other hand is designed to be cheap, easy to maintain, and cheap to fly. It is purpose built to meander around.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/...mestic-drones/

Well, that did not take long! I guess IR and high definition camera's watching over entire neighborhoods was not enough; now they have to be able to shoot people with rubber bullets and dispense tear gas from them as well!
    No different to cops being armed there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Listen from drones? Suuuuuuuuuuuure...
    What drone carries that level IR technology? Its one thing when you are on ground, other, when 500m+ or more in the air.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_microphone

I'm not sure if this is on any military drones yet, but I imagine it probably will be in the future.

As far as people being upset their privacy will go away, I'm a little confused...
    Satellites have been able to see what you were doing for quite some time...
    and I'm sure these drones will even have a better response time then actually police officers.
    Also they will be able to cut back on the danger police officers have to put themselves in because they can always have eyes in the sky, even use these to eliminate targets that are behind cover that have guns so the cop doesn't have to stick his head out and get it blown off...

Honestly, I fail to see the problem with these, unless you've seen the movie Blue Thunder and are worried the scene with the window will happen), or you're just straight up paranoid...
    As was said before, if you aren't doing anything wrong, then you won't even have to remember their existence unless they are aiding you...
    The only real difference between them and a real police officer I could think of is they don't use deadly force, and they can fly...
    Oh and they will be more heavily monitored then police on the street to ensure they aren't being abused...

Quote Originally Posted by u9k13tjc View Post
    great, just what you want, someone completely detached from the situation who is armed and allowed to shoot...

There is a reason that most civilised countries only have very well trained armed police and security. Though I'm not supprised americans are happy for any brainless moron to be able to wave a gun around.
    Because obviously everyone is happy.... right?
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_microphone
    I'm not sure if this is on any military drones yet, but I imagine it probably will be in the future.
    See. You are not even sure about that... It may, it may not, its just guesses. Do you honestly think your goverment is going to spy you? You, the Average Joe? When they have things like narcocartels to worry about?

See. You are not even sure about that... It may, it may not, its just guesses. Do you honestly think your goverment is going to spy you? You, the Average Joe? When they have things like narcocartels to worry about?
    Problem is, that is exactly what they are doing and have been for some time, they are just stepping it up with drones.

The government does not need to know what I'm doing, where I'm doing it, when I'm doing and with whom at any time UNLESS I am doing something illegal and they have a warrant to do so. Im a law abiding citizen with my worst offense ever being speeding tickets but I dont want my government watching me.

Its not paranoia to not want a camera or GPS tracking on you every second of the day. Its logical.

Some of you may have grown up seeing cameras on street lights or on the sides of building's and think eh, no big deal. Those of us that are a little older and have seen the changes no better.

Yes, sure, they are spying on 300+ million people. Please...

10+ Year Old Account
    See. You are not even sure about that... It may, it may not, its just guesses.
    Whether or not the technology exists is not a guess. The technology to use focused EM waves for listening is over 60 years old. Whether the technology has been employed on drones isn't clear. Unsurprisingly, the avionics packages and sensor suites on military UAVs aren't exactly public knowledge. That it would be in the interest of the intelligence community to have a platform that allowed them to listen to conversations with a drone is undeniable.

Do you honestly think your goverment is going to spy you? You, the Average Joe? When they have things like narcocartels to worry about?
    No, I don't think the government is trying to spy on me. But, I'm not comfortable with American police forces, which are sadly notorious for being some of the worst civil rights abusers in the Western world, having the same surveillance capabilities as the US military and the CIA. Can you really say that you're comfortable with the same people who beat Kelly Thomas to death while he was begging for help having military grade surveillance hardware?
    Last edited by Beavis; 2012-05-25 at 08:52 PM.

Whether or not the technology exists is not a guess. The technology to use focused EM waves for listening is over 60 years old. Whether the technology has been employed on drones isn't clear. Unsurprisingly, the avionics packages and sensor suites on military UAVs aren't exactly public knowledge. That it would be in the interest of the intelligence community to have a platform that allowed them to listen to conversations with a drone is undeniable.

No, I don't think the government is trying to spy on me. But, I'm not comfortable with American police forces, which are sadly notorious for being some of the worst civil rights abusers in the Western world, having the same surveillance capabilities as the US military and the CIA. Can you really say that you're comfortable with the same people who beat Kelly Thomas to death while he was begging for help having military grade surveillance hardware?
    And you can back it with official data?
    Same people? I have similar people here in Latvia. I know there are similar people in Russia, France, Sudan, New Zealand, Japan, Chile....... I hope you get the point...

10+ Year Old Account
    And you can back it with official data?
    Same people? I have similar people here in Latvia. I know there are similar people in Russia, France, Sudan, New Zealand, Japan, Chile....... I hope you get the point...

Sudan isn't part of the Western world. Chile is part of the Western world. I'm not even sure Russia is considered part of the Western world and I don't recall the last time I heard about French or Japanese police beating a man to death. In the United States, there's always a couple of new reports every year about some poor soul getting gunned down by the cops for pulling out their cellphone or getting beaten to death because they're "resisting arrest" or whatever. There isn't a lot of international data about it because, quite frankly, it isn't really a first world problem.

So this is where it has come to!
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post

So this is where it has come to!
    I'd actually be more comfortable with ED209. At least I know that I can get job at OCP and be safe...until I got fired for being paranoid about the robots we're making killing people.