Deleted

Puzzled between two builds

I am having a hard time choosing between these two builds, so I hope you can help me decide.

Build one (ATX)

Case: FD Arc Midi
    GPU: ASUS 7850
    CPU: 2500k / 3570k
    PSU: Need help finding a cheap, modular and at least 80+ one ~600W
    Monitor: Dell 2312 IPS or another since I play both BF3 and WoW?
    MoBo: ASRock Z75 Pro3

Build two (mATX)

Case: FD Core 1000
    GPU: ASUS 6870 / 7850
    CPU: i3-2120 / 2500k / 3570k
    PSU: Need help finding a cheap, modular and at least 80+ one ~600W
    Monitor: Dell 2312 IPS or another since I play both BF3 and WoW?
    MoBo: ASRock H61M / ASRock H77M / ASUS P8Z77-M / ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M

I don't need any further parts, but the ones linked. (like a HDD, DVDROM, OS etc.)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd really like a silent, cool, cheap, and compact build, with great bang for the buck. Therefore I am uncertain whether to go with 2500k or 3570k or even the i3-2120.
    1. Also I don't know which motherboard to pick if I chould choose to pick the mATX build.
    2. I would be great if I could fit in a mATX case, but can you find aftermarket heatsinks that fit into the Core 1000?
    3. Does the 3570k need an aftermarket heatsink in order to run cool and quiet at stock clocks?
    Last edited by mmocf872d72b02; 2012-05-25 at 04:14 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Build one is a lot better with the parts you listed. PSU- Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Supply should all suffice.

You don't need an aftermarket cooler to keep either CPU's cool @ stock settings because the stock cooler is more than enough.

The 2500k is probably your best bet all around.

If you pick the Micro build I would suggest the Asus z77-M.

Deleted
    You don't need an aftermarket cooler to keep either CPU's cool @ stock settings because the stock cooler is more than enough.
    Yes, but cool AND quiet? My hypothesis is that a stock cooler will struggle with keeping the 3570k cool under heavy load, without becoming loud due to higher RPM.

The 2500k is probably your best bet all around.
    But I do not believe I will be overclocking, and the 3570k is better than the 2500k at same speeds?

If you pick the Micro build I would suggest the Asus z77-M.
    By ASUS Z77-M do you mean ASUS P8Z77-M?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by laukond View Post
    Yes, but cool AND quiet? My hypothesis is that a stock cooler will struggle with keeping the 3570k cool under heavy load, without becoming loud due to higher RPM.

Stock settings really don't push CPU's that hard because they are made to be overclocked. They will keep it cooled perfectly fine @ full load(will it always be @ full load or you talking just gaming load(which wouldn't be full load)?
    Also, why will you not be overclocking? Just kind of curious.

But I do not believe I will be overclocking, and the 3570k is better than the 2500k at same speeds?

3570k is slightly better at stock clock so if it is worth the 20 EUR go for it. 2500k is a tried and proven excellent CPU that is why I said it might be best to just stick with it.

By ASUS Z77-M do you mean ASUS P8Z77-M?
    Yes

Notes above.

Deleted
    If it has to (semi) modular I think these three are the best options for a PSU. They're not really cheap per se but I think it's the best you can get in that price range. I'd rate them in that order based on price and performance:

Antec High Current Gamer HCG-620M
    Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX550M
    OCZ ModXStream Pro 600

There is also Fractal Design Arc Mini you could choose for the mATX setup.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2012-05-25 at 05:32 PM.

I'd really like a silent, cool, cheap, and compact build, with great bang for the buck. Therefore I am uncertain whether to go with 2500k or 3570k or even the i3-2120.
    1. Also I don't know which motherboard to pick if I chould choose to pick the mATX build.
    2. I would be great if I could fit in a mATX case, but can you find aftermarket heatsinks that fit into the Core 1000?
    3. Does the 3570k need an aftermarket heatsink in order to run cool and quiet at stock clocks?
    You're not gonna get anywhere close to compact with a full ATX board. Seems like your best bet if that's something you want is to go with a mATX solution.

As far as coolers go, the Core 1000 is only 175mm wide, which isn't going to be enough for any full size heatpipe push/pull type cooler (like the hyper 212). I'd look into its little cousin, the TX3.

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6602
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    There is also Fractal Design Arc Mini you could choose for the mATX setup.
    Airflow wise, is ATX better than mATX with the same fans? And which would be better of Arc Mini and Core 1000?

As far as coolers go, the Core 1000 is only 175mm wide, which isn't going to be enough for any full size heatpipe push/pull type cooler (like the hyper 212). I'd look into its little cousin, the TX3.
    Very nice, thank you!
    What would you approximate be, on how high 24/7 overclocks it could do with respectively the 2500k and 3570k, while still being cool and quiet?

Deleted
    I've used the Arc mini and has nothing but good things to say about it really.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I've used the Arc mini and has nothing but good things to say about it really.
    Don't you think that it is kind of heavy?
    The core 1000 weighs half of it. (19.84 lbs. vs 9.04 lbs.)

Deleted
    For a mATX case? Sure. Are you going to be moving it around a lot?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    For a mATX case? Sure. Are you going to be moving it around a lot?
    Not really, but quite a bit. At the moment I am leaning towards the Arc series, since it has 3 fans vs 1, and looks better
    Have you had any regrets going mATX instead of ATX?

Deleted
    No not at all. I see the Asrock Z77 pro4-M isn't available in Denmark so i'd suggest you pick the ASUS board and pair it with the 3570k and 7850.

Not really, but quite a bit. At the moment I am leaning towards the Arc series, since it has 3 fans vs 1, and looks better
    Have you had any regrets going mATX instead of ATX?
    Arc midi is a lot wider than the core 1000, so at least you'll be able to fit just about any reasonably sized cooler in it. In terms of full load temps, the stock fan really isn't enough regardless of OC. My 2500 at stock speeds was hitting upwards of 85c after just a few minutes of prime95. This was after I double checked thermal paste 3 times.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics