Thread: Slavery

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Slavery

If stealing 100% of the product of someone's labor is slavery, at what percentage is it no longer slavery?

This is basically the definition of minimum wage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Champatron View Post
    says it all really, the government decides.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enemy of the State View Post
    If stealing 100% of the product of someone's labor is slavery, at what percentage is it no longer slavery?
    Your premise is off. Slavery is the outright ownership of one person by another. It does not allow the slave the decision not to produce labor for the slaveowner. It has nothing to do with what percentage of the product of a person's work belongs to someone else.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I don't think slavery means what you think it means.

What you are describing is theft, infringement, plagiarism, etc.

Slavery is when one person owns another person as property.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Champatron View Post
    No, it's not. It doesn't matter what you're getting paid if the agreement is voluntary. I had something else in mind.

It's no longer slavery when the laborer has a contract with the employer. Slaves are forced into conditions beyond their own control. The only control a slave truly has is whether they choose to remain a slave or choose to endure whatever punishment their captor sees fit if the slave doesn't go along.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneth View Post
    It's no longer slavery when the laborer has a contract with the employer. Slaves are forced into conditions beyond their own control. The only control a slave truly has is whether they choose to remain a slave or choose to endure whatever punishment their captor sees fit if the slave doesn't go along.
    Then are we all slaves to the state?

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    says it all really, the government decides.
    You can choose to sell your labor for minimum wage, or you can choose to find another job. If your skill set doesn't allow for employment beyond minimum wage, then you can choose to obtain additional knowledge to make yourself more employable. Often times those who work at minimum wage have to do so either because they are too young to have any prior work experience or chose to make themselves unemployable at a higher rate for a wide variety of reasons.

Working at minimum wage in a developed country is still millions of times better than being a slave.

---------- Post added 2012-05-25 at 09:25 PM ----------

How are we slaves to the state if it's our choice in which our government is run. The fact that hundreds of millions just go along shows that it's a greater choice of society. However, we still have our freedom of movement, varieties of freedom speech, and we can even choose to become jobless and homeless and live whatever life that leads.

10+ Year Old Account
    No? But your attempt to be philosophical is amusing.

I'm curious where this poor line of thought is coming from. "The State" doesnt own or control you. And you have every choice to not deal with "The State".

Deleted
    How are we slaves to the state if it's our choice in which our government is run. The fact that hundreds of millions just go along shows that it's a greater choice of society. However, we still have our freedom of movement, varieties of freedom speech, and we can even choose to become jobless and homeless and live whatever life that leads.
    I don't even vote. I do not give my consent.

I'm curious where this poor line of thought is coming from. "The State" doesnt own or control you. And you have every choice to not deal with "The State".
    That would be rather difficult, since the state has the largest collection of guns in the territory it controls. I am to surrender a certain percentage of my earnings, or armed thugs will break into my house and drag me to prison, or shoot me if I choose to defend my property. I cannot decide what I to put in my own body, because if I dare smoke a joint, again, armed thugs will storm my house, shoot my dog and possibly kill me aswell.

10+ Year Old Account

That would be rather difficult, since the state has the largest collection of guns in the territory it controls. I am to surrender a certain percentage of my earnings, or armed thugs will break into my house and drag me to prison, or shoot me if I choose to defend my property. I cannot decide what I to put in my own body, because if I dare smoke a joint, again, armed thugs will storm my house, shoot my dog and possibly kill me aswell.
    If you don't vote, you're giving your implicit consent.

10+ Year Old Account

Refusing to vote is not a form of participation. You can't object to something when a person asks you "Yes or No" and your answer is "I'm not telling you." Man, this thread feels awfully familiar. Are you that guy that was in support of an anarchist society over what we have now?

Edit----------

I remember, this is the thread where the guy was making the same claims you are.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ht=Why+anarchy
    Last edited by Grizzly Willy; 2012-05-25 at 09:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Refusing to vote is not a form of participation. You can't object to something when a person asks you "Yes or No" and your answer is "I'm not telling you." Man, this thread feels awfully familiar. Are you that guy that was in support of an anarchist society over what we have now?
    He might be one of those guys, but he wasn't the main dude in that super long thread about it.

By not voting you are choosing to abstain from choice, or in other words, are just going along with the status quo. Again, you choose to pay taxes because of your choice to go along. Additionally, depending on the amount of your yearly earnings and which tax bracket you fall in, you may receive nearly all of the taxes you paid in back in the form of a tax refund.

You can also choose what to put into your body. You do realize that several states have decriminalized marijuana. Additionally, smoking a joint in your own home will almost never have any consequences what-so-ever. If you do smoke weed, you can find yourself unemployable because you will fail a drug test. If you are caught holding a large amount, you can wind up in prison. If you are caught with a smallish amount, you are either given a small ticket (misdemeanor) or are let go without possession of your weed.

Try not to over-sensationalize or over simplify. The world isn't nearly as black and white as you are making it out to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Voting is not consent in any form. I know people said that you can 'choose' the government, but 'not choosing' isn't the same as 'disapproving of options'. What you have done is negligence, and in turn forfeits any complaint or right you had. Just because you don't like your options (You can vote for something else, you know), doesn't mean that not voting fixes it.

I don't vote either. But I don't complain about the crap I'm given afterwards either.

I am to surrender a certain percentage of my earnings ... or shoot me if I choose to defend my property. I cannot decide what I to put in my own body, because if I dare smoke a joint, again, armed thugs will storm my house, shoot my dog and possibly kill me aswell.
    While entirely over-dramatic for dramas sake, I understand the sensationalist point you're trying to get across.

You're confusing "Laws" with "Government Control". It's still not slavery. Laws are determined by people, and can change. They are not determined by any one person. If you do not like these laws, you are welcome to try to change them, join groups who want them changed (since that does work sometimes), or go somewhere else.

Also, just because you can't afford to go somewhere else where those laws are different, is not the State's problem. And if you don't want to give up the nice stuff you have to go somewhere to do those things, that is your consent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    He might be one of those guys, but he wasn't the main dude in that super long thread about it.
    I know. It's just that the argument is exactly the same as the guy in the other thread, so I'm wondering if it's just the same guy with a different user name.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's only your house because that state uses its guns to guarantee your right to that property.

10+ Year Old Account

If you don't like the government, then I suggest you go live someplace without one. Try Somalia. I hear the no government thing is working out really well there.

Let's do the OP's homework.

Five bucks says the teacher has a beard and smells like patchouli.