Thread: Tera / d3 / gw2

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Arrow Tera / d3 / gw2

Hello,
    please advise one that has about 2-3 hours of free time / day.

status now (from my point of view) :
    - I tried TERA but it seams un-balanced and not yet a mature game; LFG tool allows abuse and kicks, and it`s the same "LF TANK / LF HEALER LAST SPOT PLEASE" thing... Subscription will end soon.

- Diablo3 is nice, but one you get to inferno act 2 you begin an endless gear / gold farm which is not a thing i would like to do every day. (are the other 2 games different?)

- gw2 looks mediocre and i`m not so sure i will enjoy it. sure it wants to get read of healer/tank/dps but i have a bad feeling when i look at the graphics and the way the toons move/jump. it feels un-natural somehow....

my questions for the MMO-Champs:
    - is TERA growing as in becoming more user friendly? are classes being tweaked/changed? are new things on the way?

- am i mistaking about d3 ?

- am i mistaking about gw2 ?

thank you for your time!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    Hello,

- I tried TERA but it seams un-balanced and not yet a mature game; LFG tool allows abuse and kicks, and it`s the same "LF TANK / LF HEALER LAST SPOT PLEASE" thing... Subscription will end soon.

- Diablo3 is nice, but one you get to inferno act 2 you begin an endless gear / gold farm which is not a thing i would like to do every day. (are the other 2 games different?)

- gw2 looks mediocre and i`m not so sure i will enjoy it. sure it wants to get read of healer/tank/dps but i have a bad feeling when i look at the graphics and the way the toons move/jump. it feels un-natural somehow....

- is TERA growing as in becoming more user friendly? are classes being tweaked/changed? are new things on the way?

thank you for your time!
    You're not really mistaken about D3 - if you don't like the gear grind then you most likely won't like the game since that's pretty much what the franchise revolves around.

I also think GW2 looks mediocre at best but I'm sure there's lots of people her who will try to convince you otherwise, or flame you for not thinking it looks that good.

Tera has had a solid launch and is coming along very well, but the game is based around small party play and world PvP - if you don't like those things then you probably won't like it very much. The leveling is really quite fast and the game becomes much better balanced at level 60. That being said, it's an action MMO which means that if you're good at your class and have decent twitch reflexes then you'll have a solid starting point to improve in the PvP realm.

I'm not judging you at all, but a lot of the people who complain about class imbalance in Tera are simply just bad at avoiding damage and aiming/timing properly - they blame class imbalance for their own shortcomings. As for it being not yet a mature game, you have to remember that it's barely been out 2 months now and yet it's still an excellent and totally polished game. The game has hands down the best environmental graphics I have seen in any MMO, including the GW2 Beta - it's a glorious game world. Obviously new things are coming - for instance they just recently went live with the in-depth Vanarch political system. You can't really judge a 2 month old game on not being tweaked enough.

Again though, Tera is based on small group end game play - if you don't have friends or a guild and are pugging everything then no MMO will be fun for you. You have to realize that pugging everything isn't ever going to get you everywhere you want to be in any MMO, especially if you don't like sitting around trying to form groups.

All in all it's up to you but of the three items you listed, if you don't like an item grind dungeon crawler, Tera is in my opinion the better of the two games to give your time to.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2012-05-27 at 06:51 AM.

Well, if you're looking for a game to play now, GW2 isn't out yet. And you probably are mistaken because judging a game on its graphics, over what sounds like interest in the drop of the triumvirate, is silly.

Deleted
    If you can miss 15dollar each month play Tera now and try GW2 when it releases later this year (I expect not sooner then october)

IMO the only thing Tera has going for it is graphics. Combat is fun but leveling is just repetitive and got boring for me. I really wanted to play a healer but leveling one up is a huge pain. If it didn't have a monthly fee I would pick it up again, but as it is now it's not worth $15 a month, and for how long the game has really been out I don't see them adding any feature to get me back.

You're right on D3, all you do in Diablo is grind for gear. To me putting in the AH ruins the main reason to play the game as all you need to do is buy the gear. It ruins the fun in finding an upgrade in their random system.

GW2 looks amazing, by what I've noticed videos don't do it justice because some people weren't able to record and play at full settings, and since it's still in beta some cards weren't showing the game at it's peak, and not to mention the settings probably aren't final. To me, overall the graphics are amazing. It also has to do with the art style, if you don't like the style then you won't like the graphics. It's funny you say movement in GW2 seem unnatural, which is the opposite of what I experienced. It's probably one of those "you just have to play it" things.

Sadly GW2 isn't out yet but after playing the beta I can't wait for it to come out. I played Tera for a weekend and that was good enough for me, and Diablo 3 lasted a week which was a lot less than I expected. Again, this is my opinion on the games listed.

Deleted
    I'd stick with Tera if Diablo's grind is such a bore for you. Most features GW2 folks call "omg so new and imba and creative" were already around in GW 1 (and some games before that) and they're only fun for so long. I see GW2 as I saw the first instalment: Like a shooter game - fun to play sometimes but not something I can call my "main" game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you all for your input !

i will watch more closely the TERA forums and see what changes are planned. to answer jackofwind, no i am not a bad player, i know my class, i have no issue soloing bams or doing dungeons. i just don`t want to play a game that it`s treating ppl unfair. this may be because some ppl don`t play very good or because some class is gimped. i do not know that, so my opinion is formed from the posts on different forums.

Deleted
    Here is nice vido showing advanced features provided by the Guild Wars 2 graphic engine.

10+ Year Old Account
    it looks clean.
    but still, the unreal engine of TERA looks better in my opinion.
    when i say Better i don`t mean that it is better, i mean it looks better FOR ME. it just has more colors, the physics are different, i can`t really explain... it feels different.
    when i play a mmo i want to disconnect from the real world so maybe that`s it. i just want it to be with lots of colors, you know what i mean ?

i apologise to the gw2 fans, i did not mean to say the graphics are bad, they just seam... strange for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    it looks clean.
    but still, the unreal engine of TERA looks better in my opinion.
    when i say Better i don`t mean that it is better, i mean it looks better FOR ME. it just has more colors, the physics are different, i can`t really explain... it feels different.
    when i play a mmo i want to disconnect from the real world so maybe that`s it. i just want it to be with lots of colors, you know what i mean ?

i apologise to the gw2 fans, i did not mean to say the graphics are bad, they just seam... strange for me.
    Then GW2's graphics should be appealing to you seeing as they're not going for realistic, but rather heavily stylized much like "No More Heroes" or "Okami" or even "WoW" to a certain degree. Perhaps you're missing the proper words to describe what makes it unsettling for you, that's fine, when you go for such a stylized aesthetic you will turn people off who simply do not find it appealing.

Tera does have more graphical fidelity, no doubt, but it's more realistic in it's aesthetic approach. Please note that when I say "Realistic" I mean things like proportions and to a certain degree physics and lighting.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

I really liked how Guild Wars 2 played. I could not separate myself from my computer when I played during the beta weekend, and normally I don't really like MMOs. The genre has felt stagnant to me for some time. I can definitely say that videos don't do it justice, so I'd give it a try if I were you. It's not for everybody though. I get that.

I agree with you about Tera. I played it during open beta and it felt like it had a ton of missing pieces to it, despite being a beautiful game. The combat wasn't my cup of tea though, so I can't really say much about it since it isn't my thing.

And yes, that's how D3 is supposed to be, and that's how the other games are. They're meant to be huge, long grinds. Some people like that, surprisingly enough. I will probably get sick of it, but I'm having fun for now at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't played the others so I won't comment on those, but the only thing you really mentioned for GW2 are the graphics an animations. Personally I think the graphics look great, I love the art style and graphics. About the animations though, you're right that some of those look weird.

I don't think you should judge a game just based on the animations though. The gameplay is very fun and the combat plays more like a moba game than other MMOs. The world is open and you're very much rewarded for exploring (many hidden areas, and you're often rewarded for exploring them as well).

The reason many people see GW2 as mediocre is because it doesn't have just one feature it puts every resource into (like Tera has the combat, SWTOR has the story etc.). Instead GW2 sets out to improve in all the areas, which means that there is no one area that stands out. This gives the impression to people that it will just be mediocre.

Deleted
    Graphics and animations arent finished yet. If you dont like the artstyle though...well then the game probably isnt suitable for you and you should look for something else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello,

thank you for your time!
    1. TERA is 1.5 years old. many people choose to forget or just overlook this point. Leveling in TERA as you said is very boring and the fact that it still uses the holy trinity has many more cons than pros. aesthetics is subjective and to me it seem very generic Asian style aesthetic ala Aion, Lineage, etc. graphical fidelity is high, but it comes at the price of very small scale rendering, higher system requirements, and they have not fully optimized it as things like reflection, water effects and the world design is similar to SWTOR where you can see great vistas in the distance, but they cannot be interacted with. combat looks flashy but lacks depth and is very easy (there is little threat of danger).

2. D3 never liked the Diablo series so i cannot comment on that.

3. GW2 imo is the best game out there, even though it is still in beta. there are still no high-res textures in the game as they are still optimizing the engine, the BWE had most of the graphical processing being CPU bound and not GPU bound, everything you can see in the distance you can not only go to but also interact with, i personally love the art style of the game and YouTube videos do not do the game justice graphically. the animations of character is actually more realistic that most MMO including WoW as they convey inertia/momentum i.e. you cannot just change direction at the drop of a dime while running, you have to slide first to compensate for inertia/momentum when you stop or change direction. getting rid of the holy trinity give more pros than cons as you yourself saw issue with. combat is very visceral and very deep as well as being much more difficult than any other MMO. as an example i first died in TERA at level 26 and that was because i over pulled and had 3 BAMs chasing me, but i first died in GW2 at level 3 when fighting 2 regular mobs just one level higher than me. DEs are a great way to deliver content and feel much more immersive and actions feel much more consequential than other MMOs. the PvP is very fast paced and is the best MMO PvP to date whether it be SPvP or WvW.

but honestly you have to decide for yourself. there is a GW2 subforum on these boards with a lot of great info on the game if you do not want to pre-purchase the game and try it out for yourself, which i would recommend as there is nothing better than playing it first hand. imo, it is by far the best $60 you will spend this year on gaming.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with you on Diablo III.
    With TERA, I love the gameplay, but as well, what stops me from playing is the subscription, and the fact that it uses the same old TANKHEALERDPS trinity.
    I think you are mistaken about Guild wars 2. It has mature and flawless graphics, it has a unique gameplay in the genre (not as unique as TERA, though), and it doesn’t have a subscription fee. I am looking forward to it myself.

If you want to play a solid mmo, play rift. They are going to be on patch 1.9 soon that adds 3 faction pvp... and there was also a tease for a new expansion with a new soul for each class.

If you ever heard/played Rift, the game has a massive spec element to it. There are 4 classes and they each have 7? souls. Every class feels like you can be what ever you want, dps and healing or tanking.

Personally, I would go for GW2, i played in the beta, and i fell in love with it. I can see myself playing it for years to come. (Yay, no monthly sub) D3 is pretty much a grindfest, so don't expect anything different about it down the road until the expansions come out. Tera, I've tried it, but ultimately, it wasnt my cup of tea. It is pretty, but that's pretty much all it has going for me. The gameplay doesnt do it for me. If you're looking for something to play now, seeing as GW2 isnt out yet, there are plenty of other games out there to sample.

Deleted
    In D3 for some people the gear grind begins in Hell. It's the point of the endgame, and in a different way than WoWs. More people would do themselves a great favour in reminding that the endgame in Diablo involves grinding and trading for items(whether directly or through the AH). If you are complaining about these things you might as well moan that Max Payne 3 revolves around shooting and slow-mo; it's the game, and it's not to everyone's liking.
    GW2 looks promising, but for a game which has PvP so much in mind I'm really disappointed in the amount of variety in it's content. Hopefully different styles and modes of battle will be introduced at a later date.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    I'd stick with Tera if Diablo's grind is such a bore for you. Most features GW2 folks call "omg so new and imba and creative" were already around in GW 1 (and some games before that) and they're only fun for so long. I see GW2 as I saw the first instalment: Like a shooter game - fun to play sometimes but not something I can call my "main" game.
    i could be mistaken but isnt TERA a HUGE 'shooter'???? rofl like way more than GW2? maybe im thinking of another game i dunno