Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

That horrible moment in your life...

That horrible moment in your life when you realise you're out growing video games. I have great memories of all day video game sessions, waking up on Christmas Day to see if the game I asked for was in my present pile, raiding in WoW, and gaming parties with all my friends. Now I come to a ripe old age of 21 and find it soooo much harder to stick with a game. Mostly out of boredom which I assumes comes with growing out of video games. I was looking forward to Diablo for YEARS. Played it for a few days and now I'm bored with it. Same with Mass Effect 3, Skyrim and other AAA Titles.

I don't think it's down to the games, because all these games are very good, it's just I feel I get bored so much more easily.

The only game that keeps me interested is Football Manager 2012 now. I've racked up 405 hours play time since it's release and am still not bored probably due to it's difficulty. Some of the Achievements on it seem impossible. Bringing a 6th tier team to Champions League winners is probably my most valued gaming achievement! Along with completing Zelda: Ocarina of Time! Remember when games were much harder when you were younger? I spent so long on Inside the Deku Tree dungeon, I thought Queen Gohma was the final boss! and I was satisfied with that! and then again when I collected all the stones... and then finally when I got all the medallions <3.

Anyway, back to the thread... Anyone else experiencing this as their getting older?

No. Sorry, maybe it is you, people change, you're changing...

I'm 31 this year, and I'm probably more passionate about games than ever, although I do have less time to play them.

I doubt I'm the only one to have noticed it.

Oh and how does it feel losing to us in your home stadium after boasting about being able to wipe the floor with us days before? ;D

CHELSEA! CHAMPIONS OLE OLE OLE!

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    I doubt I'm the only one to have noticed it.

Oh and how does it feel losing to us in your home stadium after boasting about being able to wipe the floor with us days before? ;D

CHELSEA! CHAMPIONS OLE OLE OLE!
    So you think you're out growing video games, but act like a child when it comes to football? Makes total sense!

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like you can't outgrow video games, probably because I'm one of those that see them as an art form... you simply lose interest like I have with movies. I don't watch movies much anymore, or even TV for that matter. I don't think I'm outgrowing it, I just think I've lost time for it in my life, or I've lost interest. Surely some time in my life it'll swing back around and I'll be watching tons of movies and TV again.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

It was mere banter. Without it, their would be no competition. Get off your high horse mate!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm feeling that a bit tbh. I'm 22 and while I still enjoy playing games, I find I get bored very quickly. There was something just so much more magical about them when I was younger. I guess like most things are when you're a kid. However I still play WoW obsessively, I suppose because I can just jump in and out whenever I feel like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know what you mean, I still love games, but I grow tired of them much faster these days. I used to be able to complete a game multiple times, now your lucky if I complete them more than once.

Diablo 3 is prob the first game I have completed multiple times for a long time, but that's only because I want to play Inferno with friends, so I kinda forced myself to do it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    I'm 31 this year, and I'm probably more passionate about games than ever, although I do have less time to play them.
    this goes for me too.

I think it is partly due to modern games not actually being that good.

D3 looks so boring to me after first playthrough.

I liked skyrim, but its stupidly easy even on expert, and people say the story is too short, i personally avoid main quests to prolong the experience.

obviously you are going to grow out of games to a certain degree, but I think there will always be a good game to fill some bored hours if you have them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm almost 21 myself, I can tell you now that games which used to be challenging for me as single player (particularly Master of Orion 2 and Age of Wonders) just aren't that hard anymore (especially MoO2, Impossible mode is now extremely possible)! I can see through all the AI strategies extremely easily.

I don't think that's a fault of the games though. Other games seem as interesting to me as they ever were.

Quote Originally Posted by harkonen View Post
    this goes for me too.
    I think it is partly due to modern games not actually being that good.
    Have to agree with you here. Older games seem so much more fascinating to me.

I'm actually getting more and more into video games showing no signs of stopping.

Heh. I'm 29, married with a family, but my husband and I still play games. In fact, our kids do too! Sure I can't play all day or anything, but I love them just as much as ever. I'll probably be 85 and still playing them. Unless my eyes suck or they're eaten by acid or something.

So no, I am definitely not experiencing this as I get older.

I'm starting to outgrow games as well, but I don't think it's simply me. In a more general or broad sense, I dislike the design philosophy of modern games. i'd have to elaborate as to what i mean but it's not important.

I'd gladly still play games if I felt they were good. I can still somewhat enjoy them but I'm not all together satisfied, as the flaws are glaring in mind.

Playing games with friends is something I still find enjoyable.
    Last edited by Sorx; 2012-05-27 at 04:30 PM.

I wouldn't say I'm outgrowing games. I would say that playing WoW for 7 years puts some pretty high standards on how games should look and feel though. Especially considering how many fail when it's 2012 as if they were made in 2008.

Yea, I know people will say WoW is horrible, the graphics are like a cartoon (fooling yourselves, Anime is a cartoon), the gameplay is horrible (again, fooling, find a game that is more "fluid" than WoW), is my reasoning for the "high standard".

I do think that playing MMOs for well over 10 years has changed my outlook on single-player games though and primarily why I don't play them. It's just like sex, it's alot better playing a game with more than just yourself.

---------- Post added 2012-05-27 at 12:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by khalypso View Post
    I'm feeling that a bit tbh. I'm 22 and while I still enjoy playing games, I find I get bored very quickly. There was something just so much more magical about them when I was younger. I guess like most things are when you're a kid. However I still play WoW obsessively, I suppose because I can just jump in and out whenever I feel like it.
    I despise you sir. You are the exact reason games are becoming so easy. You like how you can jump in and jump out on a whim. Console games are for you, not MMO's then. You are supposed to "invest" into your character.

Yea, I'm being somewhat cynical but it is true. Just like everything else in life, we live in a fast-paced world. We get antsy when the old lady is counting pennies are the counter. Someone doesn't go .5ms after the light turns free, we wail on the horn, etc.

Sadly, it's becoming more and more an occurring trend that developers feel that makes games more attractive to people.
    Last edited by alturic; 2012-05-27 at 04:35 PM.

Deleted
    Its not that fact you are getting bored with game, its just originality is hard now, everything has been done, so most games you play just remind you of other ones you have played, or there just sequels - games, like films and music have become pretty mediocre lately. imo

And as most game studios are now owned by the big corps now like EA, Activsion, they just will keep releasing titles they know will sell

"Shit guys, I'm bored with a game with no means of identifying a reasonable cause; it must be that I'm outgrowing it."

Really?

No, your reaction is not common and makes no sense. You don't 'outgrow' your interests and you certainly don't 'outgrow' the need for entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I despise you sir. You are the exact reason games are becoming so easy. You like how you can jump in and jump out on a whim. Console games are for you, not MMO's then. You are supposed to "invest" into your character.

Yea, I'm being somewhat cynical but it is true. Just like everything else in life, we live in a fast-paced world. We get antsy when the old lady is counting pennies are the counter. Someone doesn't go .5ms after the light turns free, we wail on the horn, etc.

Sadly, it's becoming more and more an occurring trend that developers feel that makes games more attractive to people.
    Seriously? Who cares? Other people can play and enjoy games just as you can, if they jump in and out or not. Not everyone has the luxury to sit around all day and play games, some people HAVE to jump in and out between life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    That horrible moment in your life when you realise you're out growing video games. I have great memories of all day video game sessions, waking up on Christmas Day to see if the game I asked for was in my present pile, raiding in WoW, and gaming parties with all my friends. Now I come to a ripe old age of 21 and find it soooo much harder to stick with a game. Mostly out of boredom which I assumes comes with growing out of video games. I was looking forward to Diablo for YEARS. Played it for a few days and now I'm bored with it. Same with Mass Effect 3, Skyrim and other AAA Titles.

I don't think it's down to the games, because all these games are very good, it's just I feel I get bored so much more easily.

The only game that keeps me interested is Football Manager 2012 now. I've racked up 405 hours play time since it's release and am still not bored probably due to it's difficulty. Some of the Achievements on it seem impossible. Bringing a 6th tier team to Champions League winners is probably my most valued gaming achievement! Along with completing Zelda: Ocarina of Time! Remember when games were much harder when you were younger? I spent so long on Inside the Deku Tree dungeon, I thought Queen Gohma was the final boss! and I was satisfied with that! and then again when I collected all the stones... and then finally when I got all the medallions <3.

Anyway, back to the thread... Anyone else experiencing this as their getting older?
    it comes and goes really. i found when i was out of work and playing during the day (because i had no money to do anything else ) i got incredibly bored with the games. But since starting work again i have a lot less time to play between the other stuff i do and i enjoy it a lot more. Yes i still go through phases but then if people get used to playing mmos and then get bored, to go back to a standard spg will get people bored quite fast. tyr take a brreak from everything and see if you feel the hunger to re play it

Lately I've been starting to feel the same way as you. I feel that i no longer "want" to play video games, the only reason that I play them any more is because I have nothing else to do. Whereas before, I would want to come home from work or school and want to play wow, or Battlefield, or something. But then again, it might just be a phase