Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by franklampard View Post
    bringing a 6th tier team to champions league winners is probably my most valued gaming achievement!
    teach me your ways, oh great master.

"Now I come to a ripe old age of 21"

/facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I despise you sir. You are the exact reason games are becoming so easy. You like how you can jump in and jump out on a whim. Console games are for you, not MMO's then. You are supposed to "invest" into your character.
    Game concepts invented in the seventies are not the only gaming concepts, you know. All that 'investing in your character' usually involves wasting time with boring and repetitive actions like leveling, grinding, trying to find a party, whatever - basically, what current Blizzard games are full of. But it is perfectly possible to design a complex and challenging game without all these time sinks. If I have only 30 minutes to play every second day, because I have to split my time between family, job and other responsibilities, I want my game time to be fun and not boring.

The reason games get simpler is the same why movies get shittier, songs get stupider and books become shallower: because cheap, dumb, instant gratification simply
    sell better and will sell better. But the moral responsibility here is not the buyer - its the seller. People will buy any kind of crap, as long as its shiny. The trick is to stop chasing the money and try to make something good for once. As a big company, you have the power to influence people and introduce them to new concept, you could even say 'educate them'. This is why I welcome developers like Arena Net who actually have a vision instead of just mindlessly producing stuff because people are likely to buy it.

stop playing bad games or the same genre over and over. I will never outgrow games as long as I pick the right ones to play.

Recently, I went from Rayman Origins to Trine 2 to Mass Effect 3 to L.A. Noire to Dark Souls now. You have to mix it up.

Not just BF3-COD-Ghost Recon-Halo

or the ever so popular

WOW- Rift- SWTOR- WOW-TERA-WOW-WOW

TLDR: Get better taste.

10+ Year Old Account
    How the hell do you outgrow gaming?
    I've never seen someone say they've outgrown movies? Or reading? Did you ever hear about someone outgrowing baseball? Watching television?

You can't outgrow an artform.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

30 here and no game has a good lasting appeal/hold. Problem is I can't find anything else to replace the gap either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundermane View Post
    As you get older, other interests take over. Doesn't mean that games go away, but for some they aren't as important or fun as they use to be.
    For me, it's this. I still enjoy playing games but it's not really the main focus of my life anymore. When I was a kid, gaming was everything to me, 80% of the time that I don't spend in school or sleeping was spent on playing games. All of my pocket money went into buying games or as a means to get them (lending from friends etc). My parents didn't give me much pocket money so I actually had to earn money to buy a game. I spent weeks saving up just for one game at times and getting it was my main focus. So when I finally get that game it actually felt like some kind of a big achievement and I try to enjoy and squeeze out as much as I can from that game even if the game turned out to be horrible.

Right now I can probably buy 10-30 games just using the cash in my pocket alone so I guess I just don't appreciate each game as much as I used to. They're not something that I treasure anymore and I get tired of them really fast resulting in thousands of quid wasted on consoles and games that I barely touch. I just don't find them as magical as I used to anymore, maybe because good and original games are a rarity nowadays.
    Last edited by mmoc9c596db30a; 2012-05-27 at 10:01 PM.

This seems like a thinly veiled promo for Football Manager.

"I'm so bored with modern games that I just can't play them for long. I think I'm losing interest in gaming...

But this Football Manager game is great! I can't put it down!"

I'm watching you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    I've never seen someone say they've outgrown movies? Or reading? Did you ever hear about someone outgrowing baseball? Watching television?

Probably not outgrow per se, but I know a lot of people who got burnt out or "becomes less interested in" those stuffs as other things start to get higher priority or gets their attention more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Healarious View Post
    Probably not outgrow per se, but I know a lot of people who got burnt out or "becomes less interested in" those stuffs as other things start to get higher priority or gets their attention more.
    That's called growing up. Other stuff becomes more important.
    I used to have all the time I wanted for reading, watching movies and playing videogames. Now I'm happy to be able to spare an hour for one of those.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

I despise you sir. You are the exact reason games are becoming so easy. You like how you can jump in and jump out on a whim. Console games are for you, not MMO's then. You are supposed to "invest" into your character.

Yea, I'm being somewhat cynical but it is true. Just like everything else in life, we live in a fast-paced world. We get antsy when the old lady is counting pennies are the counter. Someone doesn't go .5ms after the light turns free, we wail on the horn, etc.

Sadly, it's becoming more and more an occurring trend that developers feel that makes games more attractive to people.
    Wait, so let me get this straight. You despise this person for being a casual gamer? What the fuck is wrong with you? I play WoW on and off and I fucking invest time in my characters. It's not the amount off time you spend but how well you spend it.

God I'm ashamed of people like you.

Ahh, the good ole' "life" word. I have 2 kids, a full-time job, and am getting married in August. I HAVE to schedule playtime around life. The problem is that people think you shouldn't have to invest time into a game because... it's a game. It's "meant to be played" on a whim, at your leisure. Single-player/console games are. Persistant worlds are not.
    It's a game. Get over it.

---------- Post added 2012-05-28 at 12:33 AM ----------

Yeah you can. It's called getting other preferations/interests in life.
    Last edited by Rampant Rabbit; 2012-05-27 at 10:30 PM.

I'll try to sum it up from a game design perspective. Basically all games are puzzles that teach different skills (See mechanics), so once you've mastered the skills needed to play a game you lose interest. So lets say its Hunting, once you've mastered hunting in its game form, then hunting in that game, or any other game for that matter, won't be interesting to you any more. The same thing goes with gathering, resource management, hand eye coordination, etcetc the list goes on and on. The point is, perhaps the games you are playing are those that teach skills you've already mastered. So yes, you can outgrow some games.

Prime example: Tic Tac Toe. Once two players have mastered the skills required to play, the game loses appeal as all games will end in stalemate.

See: Theory of fun for Game Design, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193...SIN=1932111972

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    I doubt I'm the only one to have noticed it.

Oh and how does it feel losing to us in your home stadium after boasting about being able to wipe the floor with us days before? ;D

CHELSEA! CHAMPIONS OLE OLE OLE!
    I Feel I am getting bored of gaming in general too mate. I find myself looking at them and reading about them, watching videos too more than I actually play them. I sometimes get this exciting feeling like yay cant wait to play it, then I finally play it and end up turning it off after an hour. Cant remember the last time I played a game for more than 2 hours straight

Deleted
    That's called growing up. Other stuff becomes more important.
    I used to have all the time I wanted for reading, watching movies and playing videogames. Now I'm happy to be able to spare an hour for one of those.
    Which is what a lot of people feel about their old interests really, the OP probably didn't use the word outgrow properly but I think most people understand what he meant by that. As time goes by, for some playing games (and other stuffs) just become less entertaining, less magical, less...important.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're not alone OP, no way.
    I'm a week off 19, and I have come to the terms that I'm bored of them, and I've outgrown them.
    I played D1 and D2 at like 15ish and enjoyed them.
    Played many FFs and the Kingdom Heart series, Ocarina and Majora's, and heaps of other great true 'AAA' titles from back in the good days. Start them up, and attempt to play them, and no, nothing, I don't have the patience to spend 2hours hunting for one thing in FF or KH anymore. N64 Zelda can't capture my interest like it used to.
    WoW is a shadow of itself, and I haven't enjoyed playing it since Cata came out.
    LoL, HoN, Dota, and even Dota2 just don't do it for me, like they used to. The player bases are really young, ignorant fools, who want to play their own way, and not listen or learn. They troll, refuse to play if they don't have everything handed to them, etc. I literally can't play a full game without quitting in frustration of the players I'm stuck with these days, compared to when they were newly released in Beta.
    Nothing else captures my interest in gaming wise.
    The only thing that holds my interest is Warcraft 3 ranked tournaments, and custom games. But only a small majority of players still play it, so even that's hard to play.

The problem I have is that my main friend base are all computer game fanatics, and spend 70% of each day playing games.
    Ehh, just need to survive until February next year, and I'll be able to start anew, in the mean times I'm just going to go mental at the gym, and get even fitter than what I am, and learn some musical instrument.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

For me i still play alot og games with a passion, but the thing is as i got older i started getting more serious with my music and guitar playing, so the gaming fell a bit off, i still play a bunch of games when i have time though usually rip out some ps2 games to change it up from my tera playing

Quote Originally Posted by calculating View Post
    it's you and your sports avatar
    you went from games to sports games
    gross.
    Hahaha, personally I think sports games are great! FIFA 12, Football Manager etc are some of the most satisfying games to play. Scoring that wonder goal on FIFA against someone online, creating a tactic on Football Manager that wins you trophys are both very satisfying.

To be honest, I'm sick of RPGs now. I've played them all, and as a previous poster said, once you have mastered a type of game, you get bored of it. I think I'm getting more and more interested in Strategy games. I much prefer using my brain to solve puzzles or come up with strategys of my own. Much more rewarding then grinding on a RPG.

and for everyone saying "LOL YOU'RE 21, YOU'RE NOT OLD!!11".

It was a vague attempt of humour. Please stop being butthurt. ty

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought I was "growing out" of gaming as well a couple years ago but I think I just have less of an attention span now or something. I am about a month shy of turning 32 and I still love gaming, I just cannot spend hours just playing games anymore like I used to. I will play for an hour or two and then feel like I have to get up and do something else. Even on days when I really have nothing else to do, I still feel the need to get up and clean, cook, or go the the store. Just do something different. I remember when I was younger spending hours at a time playing the same game. Cannot do that anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyway, back to the thread... Anyone else experiencing this as their getting older?
    As someone said, it comes and goes. Playing alone at home as people don't meet each other to play anymore (thank you, internet) is really boring, but everytime my friends and I join together to play something, and eat, and trash talk... that's priceless.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually had a period in my early 20's when gaming seemed less important. Going out, music, creativeness were much more important to me then, but as I got older I came back to video games cause they are simply a superior way of being entertained for a few hours, in my opinion and experience.