Staff of Herding Craft..?

Okay so I haven't really been able to find clear answers to some of my questions about making the Staff of Herding:

-Do you have to find the items on the difficulty you want to unlock? I found the mushroom a long time ago on Normal, will that work if I want to go to Hell Whimsyshire?

From what I understand, you can find all the items on normal and then you just "upgrade" the staff with gold and plans. Is that how it works?
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Deleted
    The materials can be found on all difficulties, except the plans, which drop on individually, The staff needs to be made in normal first, and then upgraded using gold. 250k for nightmare, 500k for hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enohpi View Post
    The materials can be found on all difficulties, except the plans, which drop on individually, The staff needs to be made in normal first, and then upgraded using gold. 250k for nightmare, 500k for hell.
    Wrong, you only need 1 set of plans, then you purchase the rest from the quartermaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Nightmare is 200k i believe, not 250

10+ Year Old Account
    Just gather the mats and recipe on Normal. It costs 50k to make.
    Then you have to get to the end of act 3 in the next difficulty to get access to the vendor selling the recipe for the next staff. The recripe costs 10g or something. He is over at the followers.
    Bring the previous staff + new recipe + money to make the next staff.
    Normal->Nightmare= 200k
    Nightmare->Hell=500k
    Hell->Inferno=1mill

Farm all the pieces on normal and craft the normal staff. You can then buy the plans for nightmare, hell, and inferno from the vendor in act4, just load up the Prime evil quest and the guy is standing in the hold beside your companions and the priest that blesses you. After normal mode, you only need the previous difficulty staff and the current difficulty plans to make the new one.

Normal - 50k
    Nightmare - 200k
    Hell - 500k
    Inferno - 1m

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Babaganouch View Post
    Wrong, you only need 1 set of plans, then you purchase the rest from the quartermaster.
    Yeah sometimes the vendor sells the plans for 1g, Sometimes it drops off izual. But how was i wrong ?

Yeah sometimes the vendor sells the plans for 1g, Sometimes it drops off izual. But how was i wrong ?
    Because the vendor always sells the plans, in act 4 prime evil quest.( Aside from initial plans which are only a drop from izual, any difficulty)
    Wtb 450k more gold for my infernoponies

For the plans, do I have to do it on Normal, then? Just wanting to make sure I'm not wasting my time killing Hell Izual over and over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

For the normal plan, you have to farm izual on normal mode. For the nightmare, hell & inferno plans, you can buy it from the act3/4 quartermaster after you've defeated izual on that difficulty. Since you are already in Hell & killed izual already, just go to the quartermaster & buy the hell recipe for 1g, you can do the same in nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Madcaptn View Post
    For the normal plan, you have to farm izual on normal mode. For the nightmare, hell & inferno plans, you can buy it from the act3/4 quartermaster after you've defeated izual on that difficulty. Since you are already in Hell & killed izual already, just go to the quartermaster & buy the hell recipe for 1g, you can do the same in nightmare.
    My normal mode plans dropped on Hell. I actually thought they were from Azmodan instead of Izual. I have heard there is a very low drop rate from people other than Izual, but it is very possible that I'm not remembering who it dropped from correctly.

Deleted
    just to add a few things

The plans (for the normal staff) also drop from nightmare Izual

I was able to buy the plans (for nightmare staff) as soon as I was on the quest to kill Izual, before actually killing him

Deleted
    you wanna be careful putting time into making this atm i made normal one other day then when i went to upgrade it had disappeared from my bags, i checked online after it happened and many people are having it vanish on them too with a blue in the forums saying ppl are blind and dropped it on floor (which is blag) they wont restore it too so its a big waste of money atm if your unlucky.