WTF!? Item Upgrades.

Hello Everyone,

Warning: This is going to be a seriously dumb question.

Essentially I am entirely new to Diablo 3, and I play a Witch Doctor I have attempted to use Googlefu (Google Search Powers) and I have come up with absolutely nothing in relation to what type of gear Witch Doctors require and what is and is not an upgrade! Please can someone enlighten me?

Well everyone is new at Diablo3. Right now, Intellect, Vitality, and Attack speed are good I believe.

Deleted
    Well, you're doing it wrong then, googled "witch doctor d3 main stat" came up with http://www.noxxic.com/diablo3/pve/le...s-and-priority as the 3rd result... =)

If you spent some of your time reading explanation of stats you could figure it out yourself. Being noob doesn't mean you should not try to figure out by yourself.

Deleted
    tons of dps on your wepons and int items are great in start but when you complete normal and get to nightmare alot of vatality is needed

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WarwicksClub View Post
    tons of dps on your wepons and int items are great in start but when you complete normal and get to nightmare alot of vatality is needed
    hmm, never been stacking vatality yet

Hover with your mouse over an item and look what the tooltip says. It shows you defense, damage and health. If you think you can survive easily take items that boost your damage (high dps and intellect). If you think you die too fast take items that boost your defense and health.

There are some theorycrafters in the official diablo 3 forums but before you reach inferno the blizzard tooltip is good enough to start with. You just have to keep an eye out for your passive skills as the tooltips are bugged and don't count them in the calculation.

As others said,

1. Intelligence is what increases your damage, in addition to the actual +damage stats. Increased Attack Speed also (obviously) increases your damage, quite significantly.

2. For the Normal mode, you don't need to worry about Vitality much. Anything that doesn't grant you damage and health is to be ignored completely.
    Just make sure you have 1.5k-2k health when you get to the 3rd act and you should be fine. If you're being a baddie, you can try and get a little more HP.
    However, don't ignore items that have other stats in addition to damage enhancing ones - as long as it's an upgrade over your old one in terms of damage, it's fine.

3. If you wish to, familiarize yourself with Auction House (AH) - you can get some really cheap, good items there. However, it does make the game incredibly easy and since Normal is already easy... well, that's up to you.
    If you will end up going with AH, I suggest not spending gold on Blacksmithing and Jewelcrafting for now, save it for AH instead.

4. When you mouse over an item in-game, it'll show you what kind of changes will occur if you equip it, as in how much health, damage and other things you'll lose/gain. In case you hadn't noticed.

If you want to know what else stats increase and which stats increase damage for other classes, just open your inventory and mouse over any stat you wish to know about.