Anterior tibialis tightens while jogging

I haven't done much running in the last few years, and I'm starting up again. My problem is that, when I'm only about half a mile into a run, my anterior tibialis on each leg tighten and swell to the point where I can barely flex my foot up and down. It isn't really painful, but it is uncomfortable, and it causes me to start running flatfooted and land heavier. After about a mile I feel like I have to stop, and the only thing that makes it go away is resting for several minutes.

My leg muscles aren't exactly in good shape at the moment, so I'm hoping it's just that. However, I've run while in bad shape before and I've never experienced this. Has anyone had similar issues? Any advice? I need to be running about 5 miles a day in preparation for the Sheriff's academy, and at this point that seems impossible since I can barely get through a mile.

Do you stretch out? Do you drink water ever? If you dont stretch or if you are dehydrated it is much more likely that will happen. If you are doing those things however, you should just push through it. Pain = gain etc.

drink enough before and after u run and always stretch before and after thats rly important helped me alot while i was in the army from running 500 metres and getting leg cramps till 10km 1h runs without even breaking into much sweat in around 6 months ^^ also try to run 1 time a weak and go swim another time that helps alot and is alot better for your joints

Deleted
    * Do you own proper running shoes? Not just some random Kswiss or puma sportshoe, but a running shoe.
    * If you recently started, perhaps your tendons and muscles still need to adjust and grow to the new work they are required to do. Consult a running schedule.
    * Let a physical therapist check you up if the pain starts to move to other places, it's possible that it's originating from a posture problem. Shoe soles, core stability or other reinforcing excersizes can fix this.
    * Do you run on the tips of your foot? (Don't, especially when just starting)
    * Check your magnesium levels

To help with your pain: get a massage, give your muscles enough rest, alternating cold-warm treatments (shower or bath), stretch stretch stretch and erm... stretch some more.