Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    As for butterfly swords, I really have to tell you that you are entirely wrong. They are incredibly effective weapons if you know how to use them, I use them as part of Wing Tsun, so maybe you are familiar with another style? Not sure what you mean by martial arts weapons as opposed to combat weapons......you are aware that these things are in martial arts because they were effective weapons right?
    I train in fencing styles, and from experience from me and my tutor I can say this.

a Martial arts weapon is NEVER a combat weapon, the most combat it will see is a duel.

And you won't be dueling zombies, you'll be fighting many of them.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 11:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alakir the Windlord View Post
    Wouldn't a scimitar be more effective than a katana at slashing through the hordes of zombies?
    Yes it would, It's design does everything a katana does, only better.

A lot of people over look the fact that a morning star mace or a flanged mace are probably the best melee weapons in a zombie situation. The long thin spikes/flanged edges were designed to puncture armor with ease and they take very little training/skill to use effectively. So for taking out a zombie which is usually a decaying and weak tissued/broken bone human, the maces will puncture/shatter a skull very easily and in little time with just as little recovery time.

Edit, it's a morning star mace.

Look how sexy that is for getting to the brains of something easily. Hit a zombie in the side of the head and when you pull the weapon out, hit his zombie buddy in the head next to him.
    Last edited by Iluuni; 2013-01-21 at 12:00 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluuni View Post
    A lot of people over look the fact that a morning star mace or a flanged mace are probably the best melee weapons in a zombie situation. The long thin spikes/flanged edges were designed to puncture armor with ease and they take very little training/skill to use effectively. So for taking out a zombie which is usually a decaying and weak tissued/broken bone human, the maces will puncture/shatter a skull very easily and in little time with just as little recovery time.
    It's not the 'getting it in' that concerns me. It's the 'getting it out' that does...

Deleted
    A gun would be great, but what if you don't have time to reload or pull out a sword before being overwhelmed? The solution is obvious, i present to you, the pistol-sword:

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    It's not the 'getting it in' that concerns me. It's the 'getting it out' that does...

It's a simple smooth spike, it's easier getting that out that trying to free up a blade that doesn't just split the bone yet fractures it around the entire blade. If you're worried about that here's a flanged mace.

Same effect as the morning star with less penetration and very little chance if at all getting stuck as the side flangs will prevent the weapon from getting stuck.

Deleted
    It's a simple smooth spike, it's easier getting that out that trying to free up a blade that doesn't just split the bone yet fractures it around the entire blade. If you're worried about that here's a flanged mace.

Same effect as the morning star with less penetration and very little chance if at all getting stuck as the side flangs will prevent the weapon from getting stuck.
    Mace would be could.

Morning star would be bad.

Deleted
    You're better off with a traditional longsword than a Katana, you need high durability and the clean cut of a Katana is still achieved with standard European swords. The whole thing about Katanas being the best sword in existence is a myth, longswords pass all the same tests and have more benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Mace would be could.

Morning star would be bad.
    Only reason I'd recommend the morning star over the flanged is the fact the morning star also give you the option of thrusting the top spike if you can't get a good swing in with the flanged. Versatility is king when fighting off zombies.

Deleted

Obvious choice ! doubt the artist takes commissions for actual weapons though :P

Morning stars are terrible btw, it takes quite alot of skill to wield them and unless your zombies are wearing armor they are not very effective :P

Deleted
    It's a simple smooth spike, it's easier getting that out that trying to free up a blade that doesn't just split the bone yet fractures it around the entire blade. If you're worried about that here's a flanged mace. Same effect as the morning star with less penetration and very little chance if at all getting stuck as the side flangs will prevent the weapon from getting stuck.
    Now we're talkin'! Two of those and I'd be in my element! Definitely weld on some knuckle-dusters to the handles though for a bit o' bling.

Deleted
    Only reason I'd recommend the morning star over the flanged is the fact the morning star also give you the option of thrusting the top spike if you can't get a good swing in with the flanged. Versatility is king when fighting off zombies.
    True enough, but the problem is maiming a zombie usually does not hurt it, so a thrusted spike may only serve to waste energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Castiell View Post

Obvious choice ! doubt the artist takes commissions for actual weapons though :P

Morning stars are terrible btw, it takes quite alot of skill to wield them and unless your zombies are wearing armor they are not very effective :P
    They would be more effective since you're just hitting flesh and bone rather than adding armor into the equation. As for skill? Are you serious? It's a hammer with spikes on it. Doesn't take much skill.

True enough, but the problem is maiming a zombie usually does not hurt it, so a thrusted spike may only serve to waste energy.

Why would you maim it instead of thrusting the spike into the face/forehead and getting to the brain just as easily as hitting it on the crown of the head?

Deleted
    I train in fencing styles, and from experience from me and my tutor I can say this.

a Martial arts weapon is NEVER a combat weapon, the most combat it will see is a duel.

And you won't be dueling zombies, you'll be fighting many of them.[COLOR="red"]

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 11:48 AM ----------
    you are kidding right,
    I'm not knocking it, any combat style practised well can be effective, but having practised fencing back at uni, I'd not say it would be overly effective.

Your instructor sounds like one of those, probably very skilled, but shortsighted people who think their style is superiour to anyone elses and so dismiss other people's. I've ran into quite a few over the years, they usually fail to adapt when confronted by something new and so fail.

I've always taken the approach than sticking to one style out a sense of purity is silly, take what works from wherever you can find it. If you tried fencing against butterfly swords, you have one chance to take me out with a perfect hit as I close, fail to do so and you wont be able to use your weapon, whilst mine are perfectly suited to a series of incredibly rapid attacks over a large target area and I can easily reverse my grip and strike from various angles whilst you are restricted to recovering between each strike.

Like I said, I've no doubt fencing can be effective, and it usualy comes down to the skill of the practioner more than the style. But I'd advise you losing the "its not a combat weapon" thing, its incredibly restrictive to your outlook. Anything is a weapon and should be treated as such.

Deleted
    They would be more effective since you're just hitting flesh and bone rather than adding armor into the equation. As for skill? Are you serious? It's a hammer with spikes on it. Doesn't take much skill.
    Hmm, might have had it confused for a flail ^^

Deleted
    None, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Castiell View Post
    Hmm, might have had it confused for a flail ^^

Yes, a flail would be terrible to use. They take years of practice to be effective and require way too much open space to get a solid hit in. You need to assume you're in a space where you can't really swing a weapon, this is where a thrusting weapon becomes superior and the morning star is the best of both worlds.

Deleted
    Yes, a flail would be terrible to use. They take years of practice to be effective and require way too much open space to get a solid hit in. You need to assume you're in a space where you can't really swing a weapon, this is where a thrusting weapon becomes superior and the morning star is the best of both worlds.
    I remember when I first picked up a flail. I put it right back down because I knew I was going to hurt someone.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 12:32 PM ----------

Why would you maim it instead of thrusting the spike into the face/forehead and getting to the brain just as easily as hitting it on the crown of the head?
    Because that front part has a nice crumble zone of soft bone and fleshy bits, so it can absorb most of the blow and leave the brain intact.

Or worse, your 'star gets wedged.

I remember when I first picked up a flail. I put it right back down because I knew I was going to hurt someone.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 12:32 PM ----------

Because that front part has a nice crumble zone of soft bone and fleshy bits, so it can absorb most of the blow and leave the brain intact.

Or worse, your 'star gets wedged.

The front is nice and soft, but a morning star's spikes are usually 4-6 inches long. You find me someone with a brain that protected by 4 inches of face and skull and I'll show you the extinction of humanity.

As for getting wedged? There's literally no way it could get wedged with a thrust to the face, the spike goes in and hits the center mass. It's pretty hard to get a simple spike wedged in a decaying face.

Proper training is key when using a katana to sever a zombie's head from his/her shoulders…!

Bugei Trading Company - Shobu Zukuri Katana

Deleted
    The front is nice and soft, but a morning star's spikes are usually 4-6 inches long. You find me someone with a brain that protected by 4 inches of face and skull and I'll show you the extinction of humanity.

As for getting wedged? There's literally no way it could get wedged with a thrust to the face, the spike goes in and hits the center mass. It's pretty hard to get a simple spike wedged in a decaying face.
    Pretty sure a zombie is not going to be using their frontal lobes anymore, so a few prongs stabbing it are not going to be harming the brain much. But you do make a good point.

Also, I think a flanged mace would be easier to keep in shape, Morning star spikes would have a habit of falling out.