Poll: Are Worms considered Bugs?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Are Worms considered Bugs? (settle a debate)

My mother and myself are in a debate about wether or not Worms are considered Bugs. So I bring the question to you MMO-C to prove her wrong and myself right.

Are Worms considered Bugs?
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

no, they are not arthropods
    Whether the world's greatest gnats or the world's greatest heroes, you're still only mortal!

No, first bug is just a slang word for the actual word Insect in which a worm does not fall under.

You may call them a bug as a slang, but they are not an insect, and therefore as a slang it would still be scientifically wrong to call them bugs.

They are arthropods.

10+ Year Old Account
    Their only similarity with insects is size. They are very different creatures.

Technically no, but by woman definition of bugs being anything creepy crawly or icky then yes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Their only similarity with insects is size. They are very different creatures.
    A Spider is not an insect yet is considered to be a Bug.

Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    No, first bug is just a slang word for the actual word Insect in which a worm does not fall under.

You may call them a bug as a slang, but they are not an insect, and therefore as a slang it would still be scientifically wrong to call them bugs.

They are arthropods.
    Like Everything Nice said, there's two definitions. There's the "true bugs" which most things we call bugs don't even fall under. Then you have the slang definition which pretty much puts any kind of creepy crawlies in there. Most of the things that fall under this definition are arthropods.

Worms however are not arthropods(I'm looking at you Markluzz). If you're going to bring in the phylum into this, they're annelids.

Long story short, no worms are not bugs by any definition.

10+ Year Old Account
    The word “bug” should, strictly speaking, only be used for insects in the order Hemiptera, from the Greek hemi, “half”, and pterygo “wing”, because their wings are hardened near the base and membranous near the ends, giving the appearance of a half wing.
    True bugs — including up to 50,000 species of cicadas, aphids and shield bugs — have sucking mouth parts to extract sap from plants. Other insects – like ants and beetles — have mandibles for chewing.
    The word bugge appeared in the 14th century and meant something frightening (from the Welsh bwg for “goblin”).

No, worms don't have wings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    A Spider is not an insect yet is considered to be a Bug.
    I've never heard spiders called bugs. I've only heard them called spiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    As far as I'm aware, a spider is as much of a bug as a worm is.
    Meaning, neither qualify as a bug by formal definition.
    I've never once heard someone call a worm a bug. I've heard people call spiders bugs plenty of times though. Worms have always been just worms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Worms are not Insects. Besides, what type of worms are we talking about? Common Earthworm or the parasitic worms?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    As far as I'm aware, a spider is as much of a bug as a worm is.
    Meaning, neither qualify as a bug by formal definition.
    Very little of what we call bugs fall under the most true definition of them. Ants are not "truebugs" but most would call them bugs

10+ Year Old Account
    A bug is any insect that is considered a pest. Like ants, ladybugs, and roaches.

Spiders aren't bugs, they eat bugs. Worms aren't even remotely bugs. They're probably anatomically closer to mollusks than insects.

*edit: spiders can be considered bugs, but only if they pose an infestation, e.i. strictly acting as pests, but it's still an informality because spiders are arachnids
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-05-31 at 02:46 AM.

A bug is any insect that is considered a pest. Like ants, ladybugs, and roaches.

Spiders aren't bugs, they eat bugs. Worms aren't even remotely bugs. They're probably anatomically closer to mollusks than insects.
    You are correct sir. Worms share more in common with molluscs than they do the arthropods.

Bottom line, if you're not an arthropod creepy crawly you aren't a freaking bug. Worms aren't arthropods, therefore are not bugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would call a small spider, or ants, bugs, but larger arachnids and tarantulas... no. I would assume size plays a roll in the slang, however, worms... are just no where near what most people would consider a "bug".
    Professor Necomi - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Necomi/simple
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

10+ Year Old Account

*edit: spiders can be considered bugs, but only if they pose an infestation, e.i. strictly acting as pests, but it's still an informality because spiders are arachnids
    *Gasp!* No...ladybugs are not pests They are very helpful little bugs who eat aphids off my plants in my garden

10+ Year Old Account
    But he has tiny little legs......bugs have legs.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Bugs" are basically creepy crawlies. And since worms can be creepy and crawly, they are bugs.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmmmmm.......then is that his nose or a decoration?

---------- Post added 2012-05-30 at 08:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Davendwarf View Post
    "Bugs" are basically creepy crawlies. And since worms can be creepy and crawly, they are bugs.
    Creepy crawlies like to run across the top of your bare foot or across your face when lying in bed and scare the crap out of you. I have never seen a worm run anywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by boyzma View Post
    But he has tiny little legs......bugs have legs.
    Worms can have legs too!...technically...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...enille_arc.JPG