Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

Diablo 3 - The Phantom Menace

I remember the spring of 99, waiting in a line of over a hundred for like 2 hours so I could see the very first showing of the Phantom Menace, the first new Star Wars movie in about 15 years. I was too little to remember the other ones in the theater but the Star Wars franchise was one of my all time favorites, like just about everyone else on the planet.

I had no doubts it was going to be awesome, I mean, it was the freaking Star Wars franchise, there's no way they'd ever make a bad Star Wars movie, amirite?

I remember walking of of the theater not knowing what to think. I mean, deep down I knew it was a crappy movie, but maybe I was just processing it correctly. I actually saw it again the next weekend, there were parts that were cool, but it just felt cold and boring and at all interesting or compelling.

And what is the movie's legacy? Well the hardcore fans hated it, the critics hated it, it's legacy was that of a bad joke, a punchline, the long awaited but disappointing and downright embarassing follow up to the legendary Star Wars franchise. The beginning of the end of the legend of Lucas.

How could this have happened? How could they have made it so bad? I mean parts of it were good, but the bad parts are so bad and unnecessary, they could have easily been fixed. It's like the took all the charm, originality, and character and squeezed it out of the franchise.

Interestingly enough the movie went on to be a major finacial success, in fact, not factoring in inflation, it's the #10 highest grossing movie of all time.

Sound familiar?

Behold, Diablo 3, the Phantom Menance. It's taken me a few weeks to recognize my feelings towards the game but now I remember when I felt like this before. It was after my couple viewings of Episode 1

10+ Year Old Account
    "It was after my couple viewings of Episode 1" - so after typing 5 paragraphs saying how shit this movie was you viewed it more than once when it was released.

Quote Originally Posted by the9tail View Post
    "It was after my couple viewings of Episode 1" - so after typing 5 paragraphs saying how shit this movie was you viewed it more than once when it was released.
    LOL--- was thinking the same thing, movie was so bad I had to sit thru it 3 times! Game is so bad I have to quit playing after logging 100 hours in 2 weeks!

Because at first I was more confused than anything, I really wanted to like it and I wanted it to be good, I figured I must have just not been judging it fairly, so I saw it again just to make sure.

This is very similiar to how I felt to Diablo 3, for the first few days after release I actually liked it, my first play through of normal I thought it might just live up to the hype. The more you play the worse it gets because you begin running into the game's numerous flaws staring you in the face like a hungry, rabid dog.

Quote Originally Posted by digger66 View Post
    LOL--- was thinking the same thing, movie was so bad I had to sit thru it 3 times! Game is so bad I have to quit playing after logging 100 hours in 2 weeks!
    Actually I do have over 100+ hours played, have a guy half way through inferno. This is the type of game you have to play a long time to judge fairly.

If I said I played it 10 hours and quit you'd all be bitching how I didn't play it enough to judge it fairly. Diablo games are all about the end game anyway, the time you spend in normal/nightmare/etc. are miniscule compared to the last difficulty and Diablo 3 gets worse as you go, way worse.
    Last edited by Zaqwert; 2012-06-01 at 06:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Always gotta hate that game you spent 100+ hours on. Must be boring doing the same thing for like 5 straight days

10+ Year Old Account
    The OP makes a valid point but the Diablo fanbois just wont hear it,Diablo III is not even close to what is was hyped up to be and everyday you see people by the boatloads logging back into WoW business as usual,It's ok if you cant admit your long awaited game isnt what you wanted,we understand that it will take you time to finally admit it to yourself let alone your WoW friends.The majority of the ones playing D3 are pretty much cattle following the herd because thats what the rest of the "group" was doing.
    You can even look back in my post history and i called it once a twice that this game will fail bigtime because it wont live up to expectations.So carry on hardcore D3 fans i salute you for you will be the last and only ones playing a game that even you yourself question yourself daily why you even play it.It would be great if WoW actually did have some competition to push the devs even harder to keep the player base from dropping,but like we have seen year after year nothing can touch WoW and never will.

MoP says hi and looks forward to seeing you soon and hey look on the brightside all you annual pass owners...you got a really cool mount out of the deal!

World of Warcraft,Destroyer of MMO's since '04.

And this is why expectations are bad.
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

Who/what is the Jar Jar Binks of Diablo 3?

Quote Originally Posted by LonestarHero View Post
    "That was a worthy foe!"

Quote Originally Posted by WillFeral View Post
    The OP makes a valid point but the Diablo fanbois just wont hear it,Diablo III is not even close to what is was hyped up to be and everyday you see people by the boatloads logging back into WoW business as usual,It's ok if you cant admit your long awaited game isnt what you wanted,we understand that it will take you time to finally admit it to yourself let alone your WoW friends.The majority of the ones playing D3 are pretty much cattle following the herd because thats what the rest of the "group" was doing.
    You can even look back in my post history and i called it once a twice that this game will fail bigtime because it wont live up to expectations.So carry on hardcore D3 fans i salute you for you will be the last and only ones playing a game that even you yourself question yourself daily why you even play it.It would be great if WoW actually did have some competition to push the devs even harder to keep the player base from dropping,but like we have seen year after year nothing can touch WoW and never will.

MoP says hi and looks forward to seeing you soon and hey look on the brightside all you annual pass owners...you got a really cool mount out of the deal!

I didn't get excited for Diablo 3 until May 10th. I must say that 100% of my expectations were met with the game and I plan on enjoying it for 1.5-2 months, just like I did with Diablo 2.

I see it holding up marvelously in its purpose of tiding me over until the release of SWTOR 1.3, GW2, The Secret World, the RIFT expansion, MoP, or any other unforeseen time waster.

I got bored of seeing the same shit over and over again. "The game has a lot of replay value" Yeah maybe for 2-3 times. WoW is still better than Diablo 3, WoW just has many more paths you can take to max level, Diablo has the same layout every single time.

I can relate to the OP. Over-hyping can be a disastrous thing. I was also painfully disappointed with The Phantom Menace, and even more so with Attack of the Clones.

I wasn't really disappointed with D3, and that's because I stopped visiting DiabloFans or any D3 websites months before release. I didn't want things to be spoiled for me, and didn't want my expectations to be distorted by random people on the internet. Maybe there is a lesson to be learned by fans?
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Except that Diablo aint an MMO friend.

The character that has the really bad, cheesy dialog... oh wait, that's all of them.

Winner is probably Diablo himself, it's very kind of him to appear every couple of seconds in act 4 to tell you exactly what you should be doing to stop him.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post
    The character that has the really bad, cheesy dialog... oh wait, that's all of them.

Winner is probably Diablo himself, it's very kind of him to appear every couple of seconds in act 4 to tell you exactly what you should be doing to stop him.
    You know, although I don't agree with your original post, I have to laugh because I had the exact same thoughts about Diablo himself. :P

"You'll never destroy this final portal!!!"
    "Dude, I just killed the thing protecting it, there are no other enemies here to stop me."
    "Yes, there are! I don't care! Shut up, I'm still winning!"
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

I loved the phantom menace. I love Diablo 3. Coincidence? Yes actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post

I have to hand it to Blizzard that at least there is no "The Dutchman must have a captain" moment in Diablo 3. However the expansion hasn't come out yet, so I may have spoke too soon.

I have to hand it to Blizzard that at least there is no "The Dutchman must have a captain" moment in Diablo 3. However the expansion hasn't come out yet, so I may have spoke too soon.
    There must always be... a Lord of Terror...

A better question is how can someone already play 100 hours in this game ?

Start to worry the amount of time "players" invest in their hobby / addiction...

Hype kills games more than haters imo, look at SWOTR The Saviour of the mmo genre

Soon Guild Wars will be labelled the Saviour....

So because people are logging back into WoW they wont play D3 again?, love to see were you get the logic in that, its a Single Player game after all how long do you expect people to play the game nonstop before going back to WoW?, just because you were dissapointed with the game dont claim everyone else is, and anyone that isnt in your mind is clearly a fanboy that cant see how bad the game is.

And i agree D3 is like the Phantom Menace, both are awsome, and the jar jar binks of D3 is error 37 .