Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-cleave View Post
    I was too little when the Phantom Menace came out to see it in theaters. As a 5 year old kid, I loved it (just as every other kid my age did, I'm sure - explosions, lightsabers, how could we not like it?). I'm still a fan of the 3 newer movies, though the original 3 are better in my opinion.

When I heard from friends Diablo 3 was coming out, I was excited. However, I tried hard not to over-hype it (Just as me and my friends did with the last Pokemon games, for example. We're all big fans of Diablo 2, and we couldn't wait.

Unlike my friends, I read nothing about it other than a few small things on the available classes, and a cinematic trailer or 2. I loved it (still do), and though I'm only about 1/4 through Nightmare, I won't be putting it down soon. One of my friends, possibly the biggest fan of our group, devoured every piece of information she could. She was sorely disappointed with it, for whatever reason, and now she sits a few feet away from me as I play with everyone else.

Point is, she over-hyped the game for herself, created these huge, fantastical visions for what it'd be like, and she got hit by reality when the game didn't live up to the 8 years (since we got D2) of waiting and fantasizing for the next installment. I went about my daily business, didn't focus on it, said, "Oh, cool!" if I heard something, and I'm very satisfied with the game (aside from a few problems on Day 1 and patch day, but those were expected).

I think the lesson many people should take (though, as always, not many, if at all, will) is that you shouldn't create these big fantasies of what things will be like, as nothing can live up to your imagination. I can already tell that it's going to happen after MoP hits, and then we'll end up right back here: With these posts telling us the game sucks, but the reality is people over-hyped the game/expansion and got mad when it didn't live up to their fantasies.
    I agree with you, the problem isnt the game, its the hype machine

every new release i read these forums and see people hyped out of their minds about how the latest title is literally going to change the world,
    Expect nothing and everything else is a bonus, expect the world and anything less than that is a disappointment

I like yourself didnt read anything about d3 until the day before launch, I enjoy the game
    I didnt get mad hyped about swtor or skyrim... and yea I enjoyed those as well

Quote Originally Posted by DemoBytom View Post
    You want games that are polished to diamond level - you play Blizzard games.
    bAHAHHaHAHAhahAHAh

AHHAHAHAHAH

BAHAHAHA

someone has had their head up their arse for the past couple of weeks

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by digger66 View Post
    LOL--- was thinking the same thing, movie was so bad I had to sit thru it 3 times! Game is so bad I have to quit playing after logging 100 hours in 2 weeks!
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If he hadn't put time into it you'd just be saying "You can't critique it without playing it fully". I know I went to see Episode 1 another time to see if I just hadn't "got" it, tried to enjoy it for what it was without any expectations, it was still bad.

That said, I don't think Diablo IS bad, but I didn't play much of D2 so I do have absolutely zero expectations, it's just a free game I got for enjoying WoW, but I digress.

While you might not agree that D3 is bad, that doesn't mean the guy shouldn't be able to critique it just because he's invested a lot of time into it, someone who has only played Act 1 would be slated for not having played it enough, are you just not allowed to dislike games anymore? While I think the rampant hate for any popular game is far too big a fad these days, disagreeing with their critique should NOT be based on their playtime, but the quality of their criticism.

The game is ok, just ok IMO.
    Got it with the AP so can't really complain - first playthrough was decent, so was the second actually, then it just gets sour and tedious.
    So many flaws with the game itself and a severe lack of re-playability means i've shelfed the game already, what to do with all meh goldddd!

I actually really enjoy every star wars movie; I prefer the originals but I don't find the newer ones bad at all. The same goes for diablo (never played the originals though) - I find people complain about so much nowadays.

You haven't mentioned at all why the movie was so bad. You haven't mentioned at all why Diablo is so bad. At least state what's bad and not. Annoying reading posts that seems interesting but turns out to be just a big whine post without any constructive arguments. All I read was: bad, bad, bad, bad. Not a single reason why. Please state this next time.

And as for Star Wars. What's so bad about that movie? It tells you the prestory for Darth Vader. That's the entire reason for the three new ones. Nothing else. And I loved every second of it.

Diablo 3 is a great game. It offers me quick join ups for Co-Op games. It has an AH that allows me to sell and buy items that I need. The story is good. Everything I need. Now i stated why I like it. You can try to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose19 View Post
    I am so sick of dumb retarded people with absouletely no taste in movies. If new trilogy is "damn good" and there is actually "story" in it, then please give me the weed you are smoking cause it must be some good shit.
    No taste in movies? How about you have no taste in movies? C wat i did thar. opionion vs opinion. Relax, neckbeard. "OH MAY GAWD ITS SO STUPED ITS A KID DOIN RONG DINGZ".

Get off Han Solo's dick.

Srs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm amused at how people want to compare D3 to Star Wars. I mean come on now. I'll put this in caps and bold letters.

YOUR OPINION ISN'T LAW. YOUR OPINION IS YOUR OWN ASSUMING IT IS CONSTRUCTIVE AND NOT JUST A WHINE. DON'T FORCE IT ON OTHERS.

*Sips tea*

People clearly had far too high of expectations for D3. It wasn't supposed to be a WoW killer, or a Rift killer, ect. It's not an MMO. It's a dungeon crawler. Worlds apart. It's the same as comparing a first person shooter to a role playing game. They're not supposed to be in competition.

D3 is that game you're supposed to play to kill time. You play it for the amount of time you find enjoyable. If you're playing 12 hours straight and getting frustrated that all the best gear hasn't dropped that's a failing of your expectations, not the games. This game will be around for years, throughout those years you'll be able to collect and purchase any number of perfect combinations of gear. If you expect to beat the game, be perfectly geared, and have Inferno on full farm after 3 weeks...once again that's a failing of your expectations.

Personally as far as WoW is concerned, I've grown pretty bored. We have DS 8/8 HM down to two hour clears, and that's mostly for mount farming for the guild. I still run some old content to farm mounts and whatnot. I'm just interested enough to keep my WoW account activated until MOP. Since I was planning on keeping my account active, I signed up for the Annual Pass and got D3 for free. This was essentially Blizz's consolation prize for staying a customer. "Keep paying for WoW even though we won't release new content for the better part of a year in return for a free game to kill time on". It's a clever business idea.

You know how I haven't ruined it for myself though? Logging 100+ hours in a single week and burning myself out. Put the game down and do something else for awhile. Play again when you feel the desire. If you feel obligated to farm D3 for hours on end when you hate it, you've lost sight of the fact that it's a GAME, it's not a job. You can quit whenever you feel like it and Blizz won't care because you already bought it. That's life, get over it.

edited to add:

As far as Star Wars, whereas the original Trilogy was enjoyable and a benchmark in film, it's essentially 3 movies designed to sell toys to kids. And it did. People are still buying SW junk after all these years. The movies have been re-released, re-mastered, re-released again, and re-re-released in 3D. There's been cartoons, toys galore, video games by the dozen, comic books, and endless conventions and fairs devoted to SW. It's a franchise, not some world changing epiphany. They're movies designed to make you buy crap and spend a buncha money. That's why you have 30 year old guys spending thousands of dollars on fake light sabers. It's perfectly normal to find enjoyment in entertainment such as movies and video games, but they're not meant to be obsessed over. You're not supposed to devote entire portions of your life to them. People need to learn if you don't like something, then don't buy in to it. If you're worried about buying something and not enjoying it, then wait until the reviews come out and make an educated decision.

If your goal in life is to be the first to watch a movie or play a video game when you don't have all the facts, expect to be disappointed time and time again. I'd rather wait a week myself and potentially save myself some money.

/rant
    Last edited by patrixlul; 2012-06-02 at 02:04 AM.

The problem is that, along with all the raping of the SW franchise did which probably upset a huge fan like you, there were a lot of other legitimate non-fandom related reasons why that movie sucked that wouldn't have been fixed even if it met all your fan expectations.

I'm not trying to insult you; I just think that sometimes, you and people like you don't quite have the perspective to judge a game 'fairly.'

Your opinion is still valid. The comparison is just bad.

Quote Originally Posted by xStevooo View Post
    The game is ok, just ok IMO.
    Yep. Just ok. 6/10.

It wouldn't say it is worthy the 50$ I paid for it, if I could choose a price it would be 30$. Mostly because it is too short, but them, most of current games are. There are other things I didn't like but I knew it was probably going to be like that when I bought it.

Anyway, it is a good time dump. Well, at least better than minesweeper .

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

Quote Originally Posted by zaiid View Post
    You haven't mentioned at all why the movie was so bad. You haven't mentioned at all why Diablo is so bad. At least state what's bad and not. Annoying reading posts that seems interesting but turns out to be just a big whine post without any constructive arguments. All I read was: bad, bad, bad, bad. Not a single reason why. Please state this next time.

And as for Star Wars. What's so bad about that movie? It tells you the prestory for Darth Vader. That's the entire reason for the three new ones. Nothing else. And I loved every second of it.

Diablo 3 is a great game. It offers me quick join ups for Co-Op games. It has an AH that allows me to sell and buy items that I need. The story is good. Everything I need. Now i stated why I like it. You can try to.
    To those of you who do not understand why people don't like Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, I implore you to watch this massively hilarious, 70 minute long, and intricately detailed takedown of it. Yes, 70 minutes is kind of long, but it is WORTH EVERY SECOND. Just give it like 5-10 minutes or so and you'll be hooked, trust me, lol.

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/s...hantom-menace/

The people who already hate Phantom Menace will, no doubt, get much more enjoyment out of it. If you enjoy the review as much as I do, and many others have (these guys have garnered a bit of interweb notoriety), they actually have done a lot more movie reviews, most of which are pretty damn funny as well.

You're welcome!

“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

I enjoyed Phantom Menace, it was a great popcorn flick throw back to the Saturday serial movies that lucas was trying to imitate. Sorry to burst bubbles here but all the Star Wars movies have been terribly written/acted. Empire Strikes saving grace was they ripped up lucas script and started over, but the acting wasn't really all that great.

Comparing Diablo 3 to Phantom Menace is apples to oranges, very few games have great, "dialog". And really the story doesn't matter it only makes up a 10th of the game experience. Most people watch it once then it hit esc every other time.

Diablo 3 is a fantastic game, if not almost perfect, spite the first day flaws. It is a great game none then less. The only thing I gather from the negative comments are people that generally hated blizzard to begin with, where waiting for a slip up to point the finger.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    i liked all the newer star wars. dont see why anyone garners as much hate for them that they do. sure they were different than the previous 3 but i overall enjoyed them

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    The problem is that, along with all the raping of the SW franchise did which probably upset a huge fan like you, there were a lot of other legitimate non-fandom related reasons why that movie sucked that wouldn't have been fixed even if it met all your fan expectations.

I'm not trying to insult you; I just think that sometimes, you and people like you don't quite have the perspective to judge a game 'fairly.'

Your opinion is still valid. The comparison is just bad.
    Except many non fandom related reasons have been given about why Diablo sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerOnly View Post
    Belial sucks at lying: who knows? Maybe he knew about Diablo's plan to form the Prime Evil all along, and was goading you into putting him on the soulstone in such a way that you'd think he was defeated and he was all like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! In fact, he wanted you to do it all along and you were duped by him.
    Just an example.

99% of the "plotholes" people complain about on the internet are explained within the plot they're complaining about, it just irks me.
    What is explained within the plot is that the the reason the evils never conquered the heavens is because they always fought amongst themselves because each one is a selfish asshole that wants all the power. If Belial was willing to go along with this master plan of Diablo's, he would have just been loyal to the greater evils from the start and NOT helped start the Sin War to kick them out of Hell. Sacrifice for the greater good just isn't in his nature. The point I made about Belial being a terrible liar and Azmodan being a terrible tactician were all brought up and remedied by a guy who spent 20 min thinking of how things could have been better: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5150111877

Also, this pretty much sums up the problems in Episode 1: http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/s...hantom-menace/
    (edit) Dang, looks like Bigtimmy beat me to it )
    Last edited by kumduh; 2012-06-02 at 02:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutter View Post
    I enjoyed Phantom Menace, it was a great popcorn flick throw back to the Saturday serial movies that lucas was trying to imitate. Sorry to burst bubbles here but all the Star Wars movies have been terribly written/acted. Empire Strikes saving grace was they ripped up lucas script and started over, but the acting wasn't really all that great.

Comparing Diablo 3 to Phantom Menace is apples to oranges, very few games have great, "dialog". And really the story doesn't matter it only makes up a 10th of the game experience. Most people watch it once then it hit esc every other time.

Diablo 3 is a fantastic game, if not almost perfect, spite the first day flaws. It is a great game none then less. The only thing I gather from the negative comments are people that generally hated blizzard to begin with, where waiting for a slip up to point the finger.

Except your opinion isn't everyone else's.

Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    What is explained within the plot is that the the reason the evils never conquered the heavens is because they always fought amongst themselves because each one is a selfish asshole that wants all the power. If Belial was willing to go along with this master plan of Diablo's, he would have just been loyal to the greater evils from the start and NOT helped start the Sin War to kick them out of Hell. Sacrifice for the greater good just isn't in his nature. The point I made about Belial being a terrible liar and Azmodan being a terrible tactician were all brought up and remedied by a guy who spent 20 min thinking of how things could have been better: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5150111877

Also, this pretty much sums up the problems in Episode 1: http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/s...hantom-menace/
    (edit) Dang, looks like Bigtimmy beat me to it )
    Unless, and try to stay with me on this one...

The guy who is called the "Lord of Lies" was....

Wait for it.....

Lying the whole time.

I mean, seriously. If you didn't major in literary criticism in college, you're probably better off just enjoying plots instead of trying to critique them. Assume that there is a good reason for something instead of assuming there isn't and then picking apart the plot letter by letter and assuming there's nothing to find because you weren't able to find anything.

There isn't a plot that can't be "proven" to be inconsistent if you interpret it correctly. The D3 plot is more consistent than, for example, Macbeth, but that's okay, because Macbeth is about what's happening and not how it happens. The same is true of D3.

Seriously, plot criticisms on the internet (yours included, sorry) are so sophomoric that it's hard not to be annoyed by them.

Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw

I agree the story could have used some work. Belial the Lord of Lies is worse at lying than the Templar trying to say he isn't interested in the Enchantress, and Azmodan the master tactician of Hell gives away all his moves. LOOK OUT I'M COMING FROM ARREAT CRATER! I SNUCK IN YO KEEP, DON'T SEND ANY TROOPS TO THE BASEMENT FOR LIKE 5 HOURS KTHANKS!

Encounter Magda: She teleports away
    Encounter Magda at her house: Cannot teleport away <- Is she restricted to a hearthstone or something???
    It's a videogame, not really meant to make sense like this.

-Why don't all 8 robot masters just go and kick Megaman's ass at the same time? Why are they waiting in rooms for him to come get them? Because it's a videogame.

-Why doesn't Bowser just get a fuckton of troops and send them all at Mario at once? Because it's a videogame.

etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    It's a videogame, not really meant to make sense like this.

-Why don't all 8 robot masters just go and kick Megaman's ass at the same time? Why are they waiting in rooms for him to come get them? Because it's a videogame.

-Why doesn't Bowser just get a fuckton of troops and send them all at Mario at once? Because it's a videogame.

etc. etc.

Most of Nintendo's video games are...well 90% gameplay 10% *lore*. Using Mario as an example isn't a real good one.