Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Monk DPS Weapon choice

what is the primary Monk dps spec weapon? I know what they Can equip, but every other class has what they Can equip, then what they are Supposed to equip. Id like to see my monk using Fist weapons, but i dont want it to be like a rogue with axes or a warrior with a staff.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    It does no one any good to make GhostCrawler the scapegoat for all design decisions you disapprove of. Not how reality works.
    https://twitter.com/CM_Zarhym/status/275712376840531968

Unfortuantly wouldn't it depend on the items that are available each tier of raids?
    If Monks were available now in DS, it would be working to get No'kaleds x2, Spire of coagulated globules, or Kiril to be as high dps as possible?
    To use whatever you can get your hands/paws on.

10+ Year Old Account
    you use whatever has the best stats, both 2h and DW are pretty equal

Having variety is always best. There will be number crunching in the future when Mists of Pandaria goes live for what setup will do the most damage, but hopefully the margin between Dual Wielding and Two-handed weapons will be small. It's just wishful thinking on my part though.

it will all come down on what Blizzard want us to equip ... and they'll let us know by giving us specific loots in raid tiers along the way... I seriously hope we'll have more choices than in cataclysm but something telling me that we'll be forced to use whatever weapon they throw at us.

DW or 2h are equal atm. So I guess we'll have a staff or polearm somewhere and next tier we'll have two swords / axes / maces for DW...

Blizz want us to think that we have a choice, but when you look at the loot tables of cataclysm, it's pretty clear we don't =p

according to my beta guildmates for DPS you use 2 one handers, and currently its irrelevant what kind they are. Tank and Heals both use staff.

I really hope i can use the fist weapons (even though they have a glyph to always show the hand and fist punching instead of weapon strikes) and it doesnt end up like my rogue who i would rather it use axes but every ability either requires or is greatly enhanced by daggers
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    It does no one any good to make GhostCrawler the scapegoat for all design decisions you disapprove of. Not how reality works.
    https://twitter.com/CM_Zarhym/status/275712376840531968

Last i heard was their 2h and 1h are on par. Not sure how it is now as i havn't read up on it (Rolling mistweaver) and don't have access to beta

Quote Originally Posted by Squirreludecker View Post
    according to my beta guildmates for DPS you use 2 one handers, and currently its irrelevant what kind they are. Tank and Heals both use staff.

I really hope i can use the fist weapons (even though they have a glyph to always show the hand and fist punching instead of weapon strikes) and it doesnt end up like my rogue who i would rather it use axes but every ability either requires or is greatly enhanced by daggers
    No abilities currently require any weapon type, so you can use fist weapons if they put them in raids (which they probably will, at least for "the Monk expansion").

I think 2H is actually slightly better than DW for both tank and DPS at the moment because it has slightly more stats -- like bears, there are no abilities that directly depend on weapon damage.

Arnt the dps monks suposedly like a rogue/shammy combo in both playstyle and gear, my guess would be 2x1handers would be the way to go, 2handers would probably be for the healz and tank spec.

Currently, there's no discernable difference in weapon choice. Without having seen everything (not all drops are in yet for heroics), the best weapon available is a polearm (for DPS) due to its higher top and low end damage.

And to correct Baphomette slightly, while none of the abilities specifically say "Deals 50% weapon damage" specifically, all abilities are scaled and based off of your weapon damage.

DW

Quote Originally Posted by Squirreludecker View Post

I think he has a point. It seems to me DW will produce a higher dps out put for the single reason you have 2 weapon attacks as compared to one. The stats may be lesser on 1h weapons but you can have 2 enchants as compared to a staff. Also if you look at one of our major dmg abilites, tiger strikes, we have an 8% chance on auto-attack to get 50% auto-attack haste and next four auto-attacks generate an extra attack which gives DWing a boost in haste that you lose when you DW over a 2h, referring to the Way of the Monk passive. It seems to me haste will be the monks primary stat for auto-attack dmg, tiger strikes procs, and energy regen. So it seems to me the increase in auto-attack dmg you receive from DW will provide a better marginal benefit than stacking haste on the passive haste of using a 2h, from WotM. I'd rather my weapons passively hit harder, possibly more frequently(no real proof of this), and with 2 weapons to proc enchants and tiger strikes, then just stack a ridiculous amount of melee haste with a 2h than doesn't hit much harder than the 1h weapons when you factor in WotM passive. The positive of using a 2h I can see though is that it's easier to get 1 weapon from a dungeon/raid as opposed to 2, and it's cheaper to enchant just 1 haha

At this point in the game use whatever the highest ilevel weapon you can get. Meaning if you are using 2 ilevel 463 weapons and a 489 polearm drops that no one is going to use it's clearly a massive upgrade.

How many more times must this question be asked on these forums =(

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashim View Post
    Well, just seems like the thread was dead for a few months but got bumped now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kashim View Post
    A lot. But nobody ever seems to have an actual answer besides "My friend told me DW/2H is the best".

10+ Year Old Account
    Lmao...someone scrolled WAY back in the forums for this gem.

I've seen almost every 90 windwalker using 2 1h. Not sure if that is because the stats on them are just better then any 2h or if 1h is better

Quote Originally Posted by kabshiel View Post
    A lot. But nobody ever seems to have an actual answer besides "My friend told me DW/2H is the best".
    The real answer is that DW is a bit better at 463, and that gap widens greatly as you acquire raid gear. This is proven in simulation and theorycraft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Congregation of Our Knights Most Heavenly
    I'm preraid, using 2 x 1hers a (463 and a lol 450 because RNG is a jerk), but I almost have all the mats to make this. When I do, I'm definitely switching to the staff.

The answer is: Which every weapon you have access too.

Sims have already been proven wholly inaccurate for many classes, especially the monk. I recommend picking up whichever is the best for you at the time. For me, I use the 2h off of the spirit kings because it replaced 2 blue 1h's. The best conjecture right now on which is better is the fact DW offers 2 weapon enchant procs, but the design of the 2h was to make up for that in raw stats.

Again, as it stands, pick whichever is AVAILABLE to you.