10+ Year Old Account

Question Bored. Considering Fallout

So lately I've been bored as hell. Raiding is a 8/8 H clear each Tuesday. I'm maxed out on APB: Reloaded for the most part. Bored for Skyrim, Tribes: Ascend and Day Z right now and I don't know if I want to play through the Mass Effect series again (mainly because ME 1 is too dated for me, or rather I was spoiled by 2 and 3).

Due to this scenario the Fallout series kinda popped up in my head. I enjoyed TES 3: Morrowind and Skyrim (Oblivion was great for setting up tons of cool mods then playing for 5 minutes after 2hrs of mod installs hohohohoho) so I figured "Oh hey, Fallout, I hear Bethesda is tied to that" -- And so here I am, asking about the Fallout series on this here MMO-C forum of all places.

Here's what I want to know: Which game should I start with?

BEFORE YOU SAY "LOL THE FIRST ONE" let me give you some info about me:

I don't want to play something that looks and feels dated. This is why I don't go back and play Morrowind and this is also why Mass Effect 1 is kind of tedious for me as well.

What say you all?

I started with Fallout 3 with zero Fallout experience -- or any Bethesda for that matter -- and loved every second of it. You won't feel "lost" by not playing number one or two (or at least, I didn't). In fact I loved Fallout 3 so much I replayed it on Very Hard, trying to limit myself as much as possible. So much fun.

Bottom Line: Fallout 3.

Yes. Go with Fallout 3 and the New Vegas. (with DLC included for both). Be sure to get the "Game of the Year" version. those comes with DLCs already included. Fallout 1 and 2 are such a different game from fallout 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, Fallout 3 plays much like the TES games. Fallout and Fallout 2 are isometric RPG's with turn-based combat. So yeah, they're entirely different, but they're both damned good games. There's a reason so many people consider Fallout to be the best RPG ever made. (My vote's PS:T, but Fallout would be my #2.)

Fallout games are not really related they have common background stuff like some factions that appear but you will not be confused no matter where you start at. That being said I would go with 3 or New Vegas they are both newer and great games, I personally like the location and overall feel of 3 better but find the combat and story better in NV. The DLC is not required but will add some interesting background to you character in the case of NV and give you some interesting new areas to explore and I would highly recommend getting them all for whichever game you get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Grabbing Fallout 3 + New Vegas both with all DLC. Should be fun, thanks guys.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Supakaiser View Post
    Grabbing Fallout 3 + New Vegas both with all DLC. Should be fun, thanks guys.
    Good choice, I played both extensively and I can tell you, you get your money's worth.

The mod community for both games is excellent and still very active too.