10+ Year Old Account

Need A New Computer Desk

This may not quite be the right forum but it seems like the people here should have good input. I'm looking for a new computer desk. Mainly looking for something that will give my tower plenty of room to breath and I would like to have a keyboard tray because I record video games and I use a Condenser Mic that takes up desk space. I'm currently leaning towards, http://www.amazon.com/Coaster-Modern...733813&sr=1-21 . Opinions?

Deleted
    Not sure why you'd want that annoying lower tray, I find it meants I can't strech out my legs.
    Anyway, back on topic. Sounds odd, but have you looked at a dining table? In the UK if you want a (big-ish) desk, people seem to add at least 50% to the price. Really all I wanted last time I was looking for a desk, was a flat surface, with 4 legs.

Big flat surface with 4 legs, ~£300+.
    A dining table, £79 from Ikea. Yeah I have no drawers or a keyboard tray, but I didnt want those anyway. Anyway, might be worth a look if you want a big flat surface.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I find wood working to be the best solution to get a piece of furniture exactly the way you want it. Desks/tables are NEVER exactly what you want, and you end up making compromises.

Consider it a great chance for a learning experience (also, could be substantially cheaper if you already have or have access to the tools to do it)

Edit: I just took a look at that desk, and I have to agree on the point of the bottoms tray/shelf... I would hate it. Looks quite uncomfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    Although I'm sure if I was to build it myself it would come out just the way I want it, I don't have the tools or the skills to do that. I know the tray is annoying and I wouldn't typically want one but for the last 2-3 weeks I have been playing on a table and it's annoying to have my mic between me and the keyboard. I feel being able to have the keyboard below the mic would overall be more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayier View Post
    Although I'm sure if I was to build it myself it would come out just the way I want it, I don't have the tools or the skills to do that. I know the tray is annoying and I wouldn't typically want one but for the last 2-3 weeks I have been playing on a table and it's annoying to have my mic between me and the keyboard. I feel being able to have the keyboard below the mic would overall be more comfortable.
    You could get a headset. If you love your condenser, I don't know how "good" it is at picking up your voice, but I have the blue snowball for my editing needs and have it stuffed in the back corner of my desk. Picks me up fine and still blocks all other voices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    You could get a headset. If you love your condenser, I don't know how "good" it is at picking up your voice, but I have the blue snowball for my editing needs and have it stuffed in the back corner of my desk. Picks me up fine and still blocks all other voices.
    I probably could put it farther back but where it is positioned now reduces noise from the keyboard and mouse probably as well as it is going to.

Deleted
    Yeah sounds kind of awkward how you have it between you and the keyboard. Aren't most desktop mics built to be able to be a decent distance away and still pick up fine? Like to the side of your monitor or something?

What kind of budget are you looking at? You can look at something like http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19806753/ and add the stuff you want. Or you can you can go bigger with something like http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S09896607/ and customize it like you want.
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.5 GHz | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series | EVGA GTX 780SC with ACX cooler| Crucial M4 128GB | Samsung 840 256GB| Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB |Western Digital 1 TB Black | CM Hyper 212 Evo (with a push/pull config) | Fractal Design Arc Midi | SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze | Corsair K60 | Razor Naga |JVC HARX900 | BenQ RL2455 | Samsung Syncmaster S24B300

10+ Year Old Account
    I was hoping to keep it around $150.

Deleted
    I strongly recommend one big, flat surface. Make sure the desk has enough depth (~60cm) and you'll have plenty of space for flat monitor, keyboard, mouse and whatever else you need around. Having keyboard and mouse on different surfaces is hard on your hands, especially if you switch between mouse and 2-handed typing a lot (i.e. MMO-gaming).
    Last edited by mmoc7476e5f4f7; 2012-06-03 at 07:02 PM.

Black computer desks are commonly used, nowadays, as home furniture. It is not surprising as they are quite suitable in every home or even in the work place. They do not only serve as functional work surfaces, they can be used decoratively to create interest in a room. A desk with multiple functions, that allows the user to do their work better, plus a color like black which symbolizes power and prestige, is the perfect mix of utility, class, and style.

When you do want to purchase a desk, you'll probably need to think beyond just choosing black as its color. You still have a few hoops to jump through to get the perfect black desk for you. You must choose wisely, so as not to end up buying an unreliable, poor quality desk for your room and end up wasting money. Different factors are to be considered, such as the size and the type of desk you need for your room. More Information about black desk you can find at

Ikea is were I went. You can customize your desk the way you need it to be.

Thread necro by an advert-bot! If you're still reading, I've actually moved away from all black in recent years because I've noticed how it sucks all of the light out of a room. I actually prefer white now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gonna close this necro