Thread: Healing in PvP?

Healing in PvP?

So as I'm getting back into WoW I've decided I want to pvp on my holy pala until MoP, now before I only really played pvp super casual, a few bgs every couple of days and 2s to cap conquest. Now I'm wanting to get into it more and I used to use healbot for all healing. A few people have told me this is a very bad thing to do. Currently I have a regular keyboard and a naga molten at my disposal, as a holy pala how do YOU heal/bind? Thanks for the advice

I stack spirit so I can abuse Flash of Light, this is a personal preference but it works well for me. You should always use Holy Shock when it's off CD, if it crits and you need an instant heal I suggest you use Flash of Light, if not use Divine light as Holy Light is rarely used in PvP situations. Always remember to judge your target every 1 minute to keep Judgements of The Pure up (9% haste and 30% increased mana regen). Never use all your cooldowns simultaneously as this will most likely be a bit overkill. Divine Light can be used when you are freecasting, if not use Flash of Light including when you fake cast. I have all my most used abilities bound to 1-12 and shift+1-12 (I use a naga too). I have a few things bound to my keyboard such as Crusader Strike for a free HP (bound to ctrl+E), trinket (ctrl+x) and Healthstone (ctrl+c).

Hope this helps a bit :>
    Last edited by Ghempe; 2012-06-04 at 05:41 PM.

So how do you actually target people in arena/bg's, what's your own preference?

Deleted
    You're asking for a lot of specifics here, it's all based on personal preference.
    I like to use Grid for 10-15man with enemy nameplates on, but for AV/IoC I use friendly nameplates and standard raid frames.

For keybinds, I use 1-5, RFGXT, middle mouse, mouse 5, shift modifiers and control modifiers. I use a Razer Deathadder so I don't have the added benefit of a lot of additional buttons.

Some people like to use mouse-over macros for healing but this isn't my preference.

Luckily, hpalas don't have many macros unless you do high arena.
    Last edited by mmocd786cabdc9; 2012-06-04 at 06:03 PM.

Ah I see, I think I'll use grid or something then, but more on arenas, what would you say is the most 'efficient' way of targeting?

My main is a holy paladin, and when I PvE I always use mouseover heals...I had a harder time adjusting to it in PvP, just because there's so much more movement, but I think it's worth it. Just a little bit faster imo (especially if you're kinda used to mouseover and when you're not using it currently you might hold your mouse over a target and heal like hell and wonder why the eff your "target" wasn't gaining any health...errrr, not saying I've done that during my transition or anything...). In 2s I still use click to target so I can just target whichever person is taking heat and run, but that doesn't really apply in any other situation so in BGs and the few 3s and 5s I do I use mouseover. I have everything bound to a key or mouse button so I don't have to click anything. I'm not a pro by any means but that's what works for me.

ETA: For raid frames I use Grid. I used to use the regular WoW one, but I could make Grid smaller so it won.

Deleted
    For arena:
    One button for targetting:
    /target partymembername
    Another button for healing
    /cast Flash of Light

or
    /target party1 instead of partymembername.

Example
    Scroll up: target Yilar
    1: FoL

Scroll down: target Raliy
    2: DL

Hold down alt to heal self regardless of target.

Best would be to use both in one button, but the amount of buttons you need to remember can get quite high as a result though.

For BG's just use your favorite healing addon tbh. The amount of target changing you do in bg is beyond what macros can do.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2012-06-04 at 06:29 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    Ah I see, I think I'll use grid or something then, but more on arenas, what would you say is the most 'efficient' way of targeting?
    You can macro target arena I think, you can manually click or you can focus target an enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    So how do you actually target people in arena/bg's, what's your own preference?
    I personaly find using 1-3 for targeting in arena the most efficent. For my healers i use 1-3 to target my team and shift/alt/ctrl+1-3 for enemies/cc macros. For dps I use 1-3 to target enemies and shift/alt/ctrl+1-3 for cc macros... but personaly I try to stay away from ctrl+1-3 because I have problems with ctrl+1

It really depends what your most comfortable with. If you play better with raid frames because you need those keys for abilities then so be it. Do what helps you play your best

Do not use PvE healing addons in arena such as Grid. You dont want to click anything in arena.
    I have my target macros on wheel scroll and enemy target on shift + wheel. It makes extremely big difference between clicking from addon to heal and using target macros to heal. It is like dropping your latency by 500.

Also, check this site because I assume you dont know about it yet: http://www.arenajunkies.com/forum/18-paladin/
    Some info might be outdated, but check comments, theres usually correction to outdated info.