New rogue looking for help.

Hi guys,

So, I've decided to start playing on my rogue more. I've been doing a few DS runs and LFR and got some pretty decent gear. Used guide various guides and Shadowcraft to reforge and enchant my rogue. Now I'm trying to fix my rotation a little and boost DPS. I'd appreciate your advice on the following questions:

• Until I start doing heroic DS, are Fear & Vengeance acceptable weapons as a Combat Rogue? I've read several posts that contradict this point so I'd like your opinons.
    • My current rotation is: SS until 3 CP; SnD; SS until 4 CP; Revealing Strike and Eviscerate; start again. Is this correct?
    • Regarding Cooldowns (AR and KS), I've been reading that these should never be used at the same time, but should follow each other the moment they're off CD. Correct?
    • I'm a little confused with Tricks of the Trade. When should this ability be used and where in the rotation should it be implemented?

Thanks again. My Armory link is below.

Barole.

Quote Originally Posted by Barole View Post
    Hi guys,

So, I've decided to start playing on my rogue more. I've been doing a few DS runs and LFR and got some pretty decent gear. Used guide various guides and Shadowcraft to reforge and enchant my rogue. Now I'm trying to fix my rotation a little and boost DPS. I'd appreciate your advice on the following questions:

• Until I start doing heroic DS, are Fear & Vengeance acceptable weapons as a Combat Rogue? I've read several posts that contradict this point so I'd like your opinons.
    • My current rotation is: SS until 3 CP; SnD; SS until 4 CP; Revealing Strike and Eviscerate; start again. Is this correct?
    • Regarding Cooldowns (AR and KS), I've been reading that these should never be used at the same time, but should follow each other the moment they're off CD. Correct?
    • I'm a little confused with Tricks of the Trade. When should this ability be used and where in the rotation should it be implemented?

Thanks again. My Armory link is below.

Barole.
    Alright on the weapons. Fear and Veng are not bad choices but there are two normal mode weapons that beat out fear. Morngingstar of Heroic Will, and No'kaled. If you have either of those use it in the mainhand and veng in the off.

Second, rotation looks fine though I typically just do two combo points at the start.

KS and AR should be used on CD, KS before AR typically as you can use the AR time to drop some CD on KS. I also pool 5 combo points before I KS just to help with that as well.

Tricks should be used on CD and whenever you have the chance. IE if you are about to lose SnD and tricks comes up, SnD then tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Illisar View Post
    Alright on the weapons. Fear and Veng are not bad choices but there are two normal mode weapons that beat out fear. Morngingstar of Heroic Will, and No'kaled. If you have either of those use it in the mainhand and veng in the off.

Second, rotation looks fine though I typically just do two combo points at the start.

KS and AR should be used on CD, KS before AR typically as you can use the AR time to drop some CD on KS. I also pool 5 combo points before I KS just to help with that as well.

Tricks should be used on CD and whenever you have the chance. IE if you are about to lose SnD and tricks comes up, SnD then tricks.
    Thanks for the help.

I'm not too sure how Tricks of the Trade helps DPS gains though. Anyone care to elaborate?

10+ Year Old Account
    2-set tier piece

Quote Originally Posted by Barole View Post
    Thanks for the help.

I'm not too sure how Tricks of the Trade helps DPS gains though. Anyone care to elaborate?
    The 2pc T13 makes tricks of the trade make all your abilities cost 20% less for 6 seconds, plus it grants 10% extra damage to the recipient of your tricks, making it a raid dps increase CD/

Quote Originally Posted by chaosjones View Post
    2-set tier piece
    Thanks, that makes more sense.

Regarding energy management, is there a strategy I should be using? E.g. Only at a certain energy level, I should use SS?

Basically you try not to cap and guage what to do based on your current energy level. You also don't want to waste combo points. There will be times when you will cap regardless of what you do, ie I've used KS at 35 energy and still capped during, unavoidable. Basically capping alone isnt bad, but capping when you could do something is. So, try to hover around 50-75 energy. It can get frantic but do your best. I personally don't know of any tips or tricks for that but someone else might.

Thanks again for all your help. Will post in here if I have more questions.

Is the DPS recommend in Shadowcraft what I should be hitting with my current gear? If so, it's definitely off what I'm doing in raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illisar View Post
    Also, Spine of the Thousand Cuts (Trash drop) is arguably better if you have Sword/Shortblade spec (Human or Gnome).

I intend to use Spine and Morningstar (slow/slow) combat to level in MoP
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    Also, Spine of the Thousand Cuts (Trash drop) is arguably better if you have Sword/Shortblade spec (Human or Gnome).

I intend to use Spine and Morningstar (slow/slow) combat to level in MoP
    If you have the racials yea the argument can be made for the trash drop. I just dont typically include those when dealing with weapons due to rarity