Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickx View Post
    I don't get it. I'll be camping for aeonaxx and someone of the other faction will always emote me and taunt me to come down and fight them, Why? Do they not see my Gladiator title and furious glad tabard? Do they seriously think they'll be able to 1v1 me? It's always the people <1500 rating that do this.

Can someone explain why people do this? if im on an alt this never happens, but whenever I'm on my pvp toon with Gladiator it happens all day
    - 'cause you're camping a rare spawn
    - 'cause arena and the ratings are the result of a team effort and their class can still beat your class 1v1
    - 'cause a title obtained in past season, may not mean much now (a resto druid that got his title in TBC for example)

..although from my experience, people avoid gladiators and/or people that outgear them in wpvp. I'd say that you just wanted to let us know that you're a gladiator.

Grats?

Quote Originally Posted by Divisible View Post
    Because they want to see your sick gladiator skills in action man!!! it's such an honor to fight such godly players
    OP read and reread, this definitely answers your question.

seriously though.... why hasnt this thread been closed yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandoh View Post
    seriously though.... why hasnt this thread been closed yet.
    Moderators have lives to live and sleep to sleep, probably. Some of them, anyway. Obeladix seems to still be human, mostly
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Except for the people that abuse the broken things early in the season and then sit on their rating for the entire season and get Gladiator.
    Yeah, and guess what. They're still the best of all the many, many players who tried to do that exact same thing but couldn't get that far.

For instance, when Priest/Rogue had even better synergy it has now because Fear and Blind didn't share DR, many people rushed 2v2 glads. And among those that did get it, by facing countless other players using the same "overpowered" synergy, only a few got the title.

Why is that? Because they were the best Priest/Rogues out there trying at that point.

Your point would be valid if only a couple players get to use "strong / Overpowered comps", but that scenario simply isn't true.

Except for those people... and some others... you have a point. I like how you're trying to imply Season 5, the era of literal /castrandom Gladiators, is a good source to back up your claims.
    I specifically mentioned s5 because no matter how completly out of balance Dks were, the best of those Bad Dks were the ones to get Glad, not every single one of them.

Again - Glad is not getting 2k, it's going way over that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bewbew View Post
    Again - Glad is not getting 2k, it's going way over that.
    Never disputed that, but when you're deliberately abusing something overpowered in order to get high ratings right off the bat and you get your title from just coasting from there... I'd disagree that those players are necessarily as skilled as players who accomplished the same goal later in the season, and may not even be as skilled as some of the Challenger/Rival/Duelist players.

Would you honestly say that a Rogue that got their Gladiator ranking this season by abusing pre-nerf Vial of Shadows would automatically be as skilled as one who did it after the Vial nerf?
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Never disputed that, but when you're deliberately abusing something overpowered in order to get high ratings right off the bat and you get your title from just coasting from there... I'd disagree that those players are necessarily as skilled as players who accomplished the same goal later in the season, and may not even be as skilled as some of the Challenger/Rival/Duelist players.

Would you honestly say that a Rogue that got their Gladiator ranking this season by abusing pre-nerf Vial of Shadows would automatically be as skilled as one who did it after the Vial nerf?
    What I'm saying is that he wasn't the only one - there were good rogues and bad rogues abusing Vial pre-nerf.

The better ones farmed the worse ones and were the ones to acchiev glad-capable ratings.

someone that's a gladiator made a thread? better call him an attention whore haha!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    What I'm saying is that he wasn't the only one - there were good rogues and bad rogues abusing Vial pre-nerf.

The better ones farmed the worse ones and were the ones to acchiev glad-capable ratings.
    Agreed. But do you think ALL of the worse ones weren't able to maintain Glad-capable ratings? Sure, they might not be breaking that glorious 3k threshold, but even if they're 200 points below the best of the best, that'd still put them in range of Gladiator titles, wouldn't it? Despite the fact that they may not have been able to make it that far without having something broken to abuse?

EDIT: Another way of stating it: What if a talented Rogue either refused to raid, or just had bad luck with getting a Vial, and was denied his shot at Gladiator-capable ratings because of it? Rogue A who got to those ratings thresholds due to Vial now only plays just enough games to keep his rating active enough to be eligible, while Rogue B is having to fight tooth and nail every week trying to get his ratings high enough because he missed out on the gravy train. I don't think it'd be fair to call Rogue A better than Rogue B in this situation simply because he was able to abuse a broken mechanic/item to reach comparatively easy ratings.

Agreed. But do you think ALL of the worse ones weren't able to maintain Glad-capable ratings? Sure, they might not be breaking that glorious 3k threshold, but even if they're 200 points below the best of the best, that'd still put them in range of Gladiator titles, wouldn't it? Despite the fact that they may not have been able to make it that far without having something broken to abuse?
    Erm, no one gets 3k ratings anymore. The only time it got that high was during broken MMR.

In most seasons, gladiator was from 2,100-ish + (BC) to 2,550ish+(Wrath) to now, where the Gladiator cut off will probably be around...2400, if not lower.

And considering only 0.5% of all teams get Gladiator, 200 points really is being completly outside of the range of Gladiator.

Let me give you a more concrete example.

During S7, the Rank 1 team in my Battlegroup was a tie at 2719 for 3x3.

The gladiator cut off was 2613 or something at that season.

That means that people 106 rating under the very FIRST team were already getting Duelist titles, not gladiator titles. At the end of the season, most teams capable of competing will all be very, very close together in rating.

EDIT: Another way of stating it: What if a talented Rogue either refused to raid, or just had bad luck with getting a Vial, and was denied his shot at Gladiator-capable ratings because of it? Rogue A who got to those ratings thresholds due to Vial now only plays just enough games to keep his rating active enough to be eligible, while Rogue B is having to fight tooth and nail every week trying to get his ratings high enough because he missed out on the gravy train. I don't think it'd be fair to call Rogue A better than Rogue B in this situation simply because he was able to abuse a broken mechanic/item to reach comparatively easy ratings.
    Uhhh you should go look up the dozen of purely PvP geared rogues in Kel Thuzad and Tichondrius, competing for Glad titles without a single PvE piece (even Raid finder ones).

Edit- And besides, all that really says is that we should have rating decay, not that Gladiator title isn't a PvP accomplishment.
    Last edited by bewbew; 2012-06-05 at 06:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhhh you should go look up the dozen of purely PvP geared rogues in Kel Thuzad and Tichondrius, competing for Glad titles without a single PvE piece (even Raid finder ones).
    The point was that those Rogues are almost certainly putting more effort into getting their wins than the Rogues that cheesed their way to the top with pre-nerf Vial did.

Quote Originally Posted by Reakash View Post
    Your gladiator title and tabard don't mean anything. Sorry. I've beaten more glads than I can count, and I've never gone past 1750 in arena. Not every Gladiator is good.
    It's because you suck at arena but know how to duel. 2 completely different skill sets.
    this game sucks

Because....

They feel honored to fight Deadly, Furious Gladiator Raamm! =D

Deleted
    Nothing to lose, everything to gain. And it's often an eye opening experience to fight someone at the top level of any given class.

Hmm, could it be the person wants to challenge himself and see if he could beat you? I've seen plenty of Glads who literally suck at the game and had other people play their toons so they could get the title
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...

Quote Originally Posted by rektlol View Post
    It's because you suck at arena but know how to duel. 2 completely different skill sets.
    Actually most of the REALLY boss duelers are also Gladiators.

Quote Originally Posted by rektlol View Post
    Or they have CD's they normally dont have in arena. Dueling is nothing like arenas. Only way to proper figure out a victor in duels is best of 3 or even better best of 5.
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...

Quote Originally Posted by pimpeddakota View Post
    Or they have CD's they normally dont have in arena. Dueling is nothing like arenas. Only way to proper figure out a victor in duels is best of 3 or even better best of 5.
    I disagree with you and I disagree with him.

PvP is PvP. Knowing how to kite, burst, avoid damage, timing, interrupts, fakes, those are general PvP skills that apply to both arena and Duels, they aren't exclusive skills.

For instance, Neilyo is one of the best dueling rogues and is ALSO one of the best arena rogues. It's no coincidence- they take the same mentality and skill-set.

PvP is PvP, afterall. Don't try to split it up.

I do it to show them what their rating was actually worth, when i was Fcing my way up the chain a lot of the better groups wouldnt allow me to come because i was a couple hundred pts under them ect.

So cata came to an end I never got up to gladiator status, and when i have the chance to show someone wearing the rank what their rating is actually worth, it's extremely satisfying.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that MANY high rated players are trash without a healer licking their back.