Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Epic uses for the Wii U gamepad.

let's be creative now people, we have already seen examples today at E3 such as inventory, sniper scope, scanners and radars so what other unique uses could this new controller have?

here's a template you can use to illustrate:
    http://e3.nintendo.com/data/games/wiiu/game-wario/1.jpg
    Just cut out the pics and replace them to show off your idea.

Tank game:
    *Full 360 degree panoramic view of inside the cockpit of your tank.
    *Touch screen control panel interface allows you to press the actual shiny (and sometimes big and red) buttons instead of buttons on your gamepad.

(This could be huge for flight sims game too.)

Pokemon game:
    *Gamepad acts as your inventory.
    *Selecting most items for you inventory opens a "mini-game" for you to use the item.
    *Item uses include: sliding pokeballs along the screen towards the tv to catch/release pokemon and having a pokedex that you can use to identify on-screen pokemon.

my example of watch dogs on Wii U vs other consoles:

my example of a where's wally game:

you'd have to find him amongst a crowd and take photo's of him It could have high scores where accuracy (how close to the center of the image he is) and how fast you found him increase your score. heck you could play with 2 players each using a different Wii U gamepad you could have player constantly moving around in the crowd sort of like an active hide and seek game.

Metal gear solid Wii U:

have your communication device in your hands while playing the game.
    Features:
    *Rumble function while volume is on mute.
    *Call in-game characters.
    *Call monitoring, don't like a certain character? then don't answer.
    *Text messaging for the socially awkward.
    *3 built-in mini-games: Pac-man, Pong and space invanders.

Super smash bros. Universe:

A use thought up by solitanze at the ign boards:

X-ray device!:
    Last edited by evilgnomey; 2012-06-09 at 05:38 AM.

Don't have to pause your game taking a dump...

That's honestly the only purpose that thing serves. Anything that takes away my eyes from the TV (as where the real action is going on) is bad.
    Last edited by Kaesebrezen; 2012-06-05 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaesebrezen View Post
    Don't have to pause your game to take a dump...

That's honestly the only purpose that thing serves. Anything that takes away my eyes from the TV (as where the real action is going on) is bad.
    Fixed but my god that was pure win ^^

As I've said before, Pokemon Snap would be perfect on the Wii U. Full 360 degree view, controller working as the camera, and other features.

Don't have to pause your game taking a dumb...

/facepalm, some people just can't see the uses. (even though it is convenient)
    Last edited by evilgnomey; 2012-06-05 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duruka View Post
    As I've said before, Pokemon Snap would be perfect on the Wii U. Full 360 degree view, controller working as the camera, and other features.
    Yes please, I'll take this.

I thought that last year when I first saw it.

I watched the Nintendo E3 presentation and to be honest I was pretty impressed with some of the intuitive ways developers used the screen on the controller, it's just a shame some more interesting games weren't announced.

It gave a very great insight to how this screen could be utilised though.

Quote Originally Posted by Duruka View Post
    "Shutter – In this single-player game, the player must use the GamePad like a telephoto camera lens to take photos of criminals hidden in the town before the time runs out."

not too far away it seems :P

---------- Post added 2012-06-05 at 11:45 PM ----------

new image added to original post, it's much smaller and shows 2 examples instead of 1.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could use it as a liferaft going by the size of it .

I could see it being utilized in a WW2-esque flight game quite well, could have interior cockpit view on the controller as well as a map/mission log. That and its around the same size as a yoke.
    Last edited by Nirawen; 2012-06-06 at 03:08 AM.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

This is amazing. If developers can commit to anywhere near this level of functionality I'm sold on the system. They stole some of my ideas already :P

imagine having it act as the scanner in the aliens game with all that beeping and when an alien finally attacks you it could use the rumble feature lol. Let's just hope they don't all use it as a handheld map :P

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    This is amazing. If developers can commit to anywhere near this level of functionality I'm sold on the system. They stole some of my ideas already :P
    >Zomie coming out while scanning.

That's gonna make me jump.

X-ray device!

Mission objective: find out why fat bastard considers himself dead sexy - COMPLETE.

sorry for my bad image editing skills
    Last edited by evilgnomey; 2012-06-06 at 01:37 PM.

Here we go.

I personally hate the concept of the Wii U

the second screen is going to offer more then you guys give it credit for, what about to players in the same room seeing different things thanks to the second screen? and look at the last picture i posted, honestly how can you not get excited for that? you could x-ray the insides of an 360 and ps3 if that turns you on :P
    Last edited by evilgnomey; 2012-06-06 at 02:17 PM.

Deleted

They said the same thing about the DS's Two screens, and look how well it went for them.
    So open your eyes a bit mate ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Kimiko93 View Post
    They said the same thing about the DS's Two screens, and look how well it went for them.
    So open your eyes a bit mate ^^
    i'm just thankful the gaming industry isn't filled with people like that otherwise we'd probably be stuck with pong clones.

Too bad the only games we'll ever see it used in will be Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Pikman and terrible cash-in gimmick games.

Seriously, have people forgotten the Kinect already? This is only one step away from being just as rediculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the biggest things I've seen, and which I think becomes even more awesome now we're all in 1080p HD gaming these days, is the fact you can remove the entire UI from the gaming screen onto the pad, so that when you look at your TV all you see is the game, and appreciate the graphics without all the goddamn bars and buttons in the way.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, just too big and bulky for my tastes. I have the same problem with the Samsung Note.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.