Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    One of the biggest things I've seen, and which I think becomes even more awesome now we're all in 1080p HD gaming these days, is the fact you can remove the entire UI from the gaming screen onto the pad, so that when you look at your TV all you see is the game, and appreciate the graphics without all the goddamn bars and buttons in the way.
    I honestly hadn't considered that! THAT excites me. Much better immersion potential.

The problem with stand-out tech like this in the gaming industry is that developers aren't going to make their games just to accommodate this one standout system when they could create a game which will work on every console equally, instead, and forgo the controller's tech entirely. The only games we'll ever see use the Nintendo Wii-U's tech, will be games made by Nintendo.

that's one of the examples i gave in the original post, you could put full UI onto the touchscreen and have players interact with buttons/controls on the screen instead of just the normal a,b,y,x buttons. it also opens up new opportunities for MMO's to come to consoles due to that point i just mentioned.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly can't think of any use that wouldn't feel completely unnecessary and annoying. Who wants to keep moving their head up and down every 5 seconds to check random shit that should just be on the screen. That said, I hope a developer can come up with something to change my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by suttie View Post
    I honestly can't think of any use that wouldn't feel completely unnecessary and annoying. Who wants to keep moving their head up and down every 5 seconds to check random shit that should just be on the screen. That said, I hope a developer can come up with something to change my opinion.
    touchscreen can = more buttons, which makes more games such as mmo's possible... if DC Universe and the likes had of waited their pc ports wouldn't have been as bad.

It's an improvement to immersion and it's an improvment to UI.

Either way we are getting off topic. this was meant to be a fun thread about posting uses for the gamepad but instead it's become yet another nintendo hate session.

you can have games like Homer's work station:

imagine having all those buttons to push while looking out the window and seeing what chaos you have caused lmao.

touchscreen = loads of buttons you can press on the screen and you can rotate the controller around (chair turning) to see the buttons around the sides.
    tv screen = always looking out the window.

Oh my.. imagine mech games on this lol.
    Last edited by evilgnomey; 2012-06-06 at 03:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by suttie View Post
    Do you honestly need to see your health bar every 5 seconds?

Hell here's an analogy, do you even look at your keyboard now when you type?
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

also have him consider pilots, they need to have there eyes on how much stuff? if anything it makes it more thrilling.

10+ Year Old Account

Some people like to yes. And a touch screen is much different than a keyboard. You can't feel where the keys are, you don't just know how to type without looking. Touch screens are clunky gimmicks and completely unnecessary.

That said, I still love Nintendo and am getting a Wii U, but I am not happy with more motion and touch screen gimmicks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scythax View Post
    Too bad the only games we'll ever see it used in will be Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Pikman and terrible cash-in gimmick games.

Seriously, have people forgotten the Kinect already? This is only one step away from being just as rediculous.
    and zombiU which is a launch game.. so youre wrong and its not even released yet. awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Andry View Post
    Some people like to yes. And a touch screen is much different than a keyboard. You can't feel where the keys are, you don't just know how to type without looking. Touch screens are clunky gimmicks and completely unnecessary.

That said, I still love Nintendo and am getting a Wii U, but I am not happy with more motion and touch screen gimmicks.
    gimmicks? how is any extra screen that is a touchscreen a gimmick? did arcade goers in the 80s call the nes control pad a gimmick too? why the hell is every single advancement these days a stupid gimmick!? gah some poeple frustrate me. I'm sure it took people awhile to get used to the good old keyboard at first but familiarity kicked in eventually and look where it is now, can you find your way around your room in the dark? most likely because you've been there for ages.

it's different, hardly anyone has got to even use it yet so of course you aren't not going to be able to look at it and know where everything is but eventually people will look at it less and less for UI functions.

---------- Post added 2012-06-06 at 04:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    and zombiU which is a launch game.. so youre wrong and its not even released yet. awesome.
    batman AC armored edition also uses it well.

also we are still going off topic.. please refrain from any other chatter bar what this topic is about, ideas on cool uses for the Wii U gamepad uses. Get creative use some cut/copy/paste skills to show of some of your ideas using the other pics in the thread.
    Last edited by evilgnomey; 2012-06-06 at 04:26 PM.

Deleted
    The problem with stand-out tech like this in the gaming industry is that developers aren't going to make their games just to accommodate this one standout system when they could create a game which will work on every console equally, instead, and forgo the controller's tech entirely. The only games we'll ever see use the Nintendo Wii-U's tech, will be games made by Nintendo.
    If it makes them money ofc they will.. and thats why nintendo also have included the WiiU pro controller so all the average developers can port port port.

for games like fifa you could get full pitch view, fatigue / energy levels of players, real-time tactic changes, quick tap for player off the ball run's, accurate pens (this is a must! lol) etc..
    Last edited by mmoccc0b2dd691; 2012-06-06 at 04:27 PM.

Razer has already developed a similar concept. It has a touchscreen UI that will automatically appear when playing any game. I just made an account to post on this so I cannot link but search razer gaming switchblade on google. Should find you your answer.

shows how the touchscreen can be used for UI and usable without having to look at the screen, left/middle/right part of screen all do something different in this case. so instead of having all that on the screen it is on the touchscreen instead, having it that way makes the tv screen less cluttered.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a mockup of a Zelda game fighting a giant spider, the health bars, items and map were all on the touchpad. The tv screen looked cinematic with it being completely free of UI.

Also from someone who uses a touchpad keyboard at work, I don't need to look anymore.

Too bad the only games we'll ever see it used in will be Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Pikman and terrible cash-in gimmick games.

Seriously, have people forgotten the Kinect already? This is only one step away from being just as rediculous.
    Zombi U doesn't fall into any of those.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evilgnomey View Post
    gimmicks? how is any extra screen that is a touchscreen a gimmick? did arcade goers in the 80s call the nes control pad a gimmick too? why the hell is every single advancement these days a stupid gimmick!? gah some poeple frustrate me. I'm sure it took people awhile to get used to the good old keyboard at first but familiarity kicked in eventually and look where it is now, can you find your way around your room in the dark? most likely because you've been there for ages.
    comparing a control pad to motion controls and touch screens? That makes no sense. I don't know who you're talking to or what you're reading, but obviously not every advancement is a "stupid gimmick." Just the ones that are gimmicks. Are you really telling me that putting motion controls into games that don't need them or have any use for them aren't gimmicks?

The motion controller they give you has less buttons than any other controller and forces you to use stupid motion controls. They are not necessary, and they get in the way of gameplay a lot when they have no business being in them. Sure, for party games and other things, motion controls can be neat.

And really, a touch screen and a screen in your controller? What's it going to do other than inflate the price? Wow, now you can look at your health bar on your controller! Was it worth it? That's hardly an advancement in technology. That's just a quick high that gets boring quickly after.

Aside from you not listening to how I'm a big Nintendo fan, I am sure they will do a mostly good job on not forcing this on most games. But please, don't think about it too hard if you can't understand why motion controls and touch screens are just not necessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly it looks cool. But i'm sceptical on it's practical use.

---------- Post added 2012-06-06 at 08:31 PM ----------

Also from someone who uses a touchpad keyboard at work, I don't need to look anymore.
    Because that one stays the same when you type stuff. This is an everchanging ui based on scenario. This one is meant to be looked at.

In certain situations i would want to keep a real time update on my health bar which is more often than once in 5 seconds. All info on that schreen should be entirely secondary and not mandatory for effective play. Otherwise it won't work really.
    Last edited by Evolixe; 2012-06-06 at 08:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I strongly disagree on touchscreens being gimmicky.

After years of playing Nintendo DS and finding the touchpad screen being used in so many different ways, I keep going back to GBA games and wondering where the hell the touchpad screen is and why x function is missing before remembering that it didn't exist.

People call new stuff gimmicky far too easily. Thumbsticks were gimmicky, shoulder buttons were gimmicky, hell at one point CD drives instead of Carts were gimmicky.

---------- Post added 2012-06-06 at 09:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post

Because that one stays the same when you type stuff. This is an everchanging ui based on scenario. This one is meant to be looked at.
    Disagree, I barely look at my second screen on my DS now, you learn very quickly where things are.

15+ Year Old Account

You want that one step, here you go. The battery life for the controllers is at best 3-5 hours and in order to support two of them, the frame rate for the game is halved. That is according to Nintendo. The controllers also take a full 2.5 hours to charge. Yay for being tethered to your console!
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-06-06 at 08:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Disagree, I barely look at my second screen on my DS now, you learn very quickly where things are.
    You missed the "is meant to be looked at" part. Looking at the trailor from a comment on the first page i see that looking at this schreen isn't for knowing where the buttons are. It's for ui enhancements to the original game on your tv.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    You want that one step, here you go. The battery life for the controllers is at best 3-5 hours and in order to support two of them, the frame rate for the game is halved. That is according to Nintendo. The controllers also take a full 2.5 hours to charge.
    I'd just wire them up, no big deal there

10+ Year Old Account

I´m getting the WiiU version of Assassin Creed 3.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.