Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rouge AD delivering Virus Attack on MMO Champion

http://i46.tinypic.com/wlro1h.jpg

At the top of the screen. I am greeted by a message through my audio that says "You May be a winner" upon looking up. I see a massive smiley face. This may appear innocent enough however as soon I click on it.

My Anti Virus flares up in the second screen shot. It can be shown capturing a virus or some program right after I clicked the link. (Running AVG)

http://i47.tinypic.com/4re2oi.jpg

The second message. In the past I have clinked on links from this site and nothing bad. This is the first time it says "Exploit FaceBook Scam" I'm concerned this ad is on this site and who may be getting their PC infected.

It happens sometimes here, and ad-block

1) Why the hell did you click an ad like that?
    2) Sure you don't just have a virus or something, they aren't showing for me. But then again, I use AdBlock.
    3) Inb4 post tomorrow stating OP was hacked and it's somehow Blizzard's fault for having crappy security.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2012-06-08 at 01:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You clicked an ad?
    You need to the internet?
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

No rouge AD for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    I click on it
    I see where you went wrong

Adblock or not, MMO-Champion shouldn't even have that shit running.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser499 View Post
    Adblock or not, people shouldn't be so stupid to click on those ads.
    Fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthrot View Post
    I see where you went wrong
    Ye, shouldn't click ads. They always lie

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser499 View Post
    Adblock or not, MMO-Champion shouldn't even have that shit running.
    Exactly my point. I understand like any website. MMO Champion needs to meet the demands to pull in money. However they have to understand if they place AD's on here or not. Sooner or later someone is going to click them..

Having an AD that delivers a virus on a gaming website. These virus could try to detect our information and sell it to susan for all we know. They shouldn't even be on there at all. Sometimes Yes. I do click on AD's on here time to time. I assume they were safe.

The interesting thing about this ad. It changes every time you refresh the page. Sometimes it will show. Other times it will not. Yes I am hundred percent sure it belongs to that AD and I also a hundred percent that my PC did not make up this error. I believe this to be a legit threat containing malware/virus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    I assume they were safe.
    This was your first mistake with ADs. And since it is the only mistake you can make.....it is a big one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I seriously can't help but laugh. I remember when I was 8 years old and I clicked on an ad. Didn't take long before I realized what the hell it was. Never done it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    MMO-Champion =/= Ad Provider. The ad provider are to blame for not being more restrictive in their checks.
    Also, it's technically a phishing scam, and NOT related to infecting your PC. Basically, if you click on any ad, and put in your details (either real life details, or login details for any site), you might as well put your PC in a show home and invite every person in a 200 mile radius to visit.
    I understand from your point of view. I think yes it is the ad provider fault for displaying this AD. Shouldn't MMO Champion verify and check these out to know all the links are safe?

I wasn't even able to get to the part to click on any information to detail. It just logged a virus at me and my AVG caught it. I don't randomly just go around clicking on AD's to websites. I clicked on this "ONE" and if was a local ad I thought it would have displayed some of my personal information to get me to click the ad.

Facts are the same however. However the AD Virus came to be. It exist's and it's very possible that I'm not the only one who experiences this since this doesn't follow my on any other site I visit. Am I to understand to visit MMO Champion. I have to install ad blocker?

Some people, seem to be missing the overall point or not.

Clicking on an AD OR NOT. This forum shouldn't have it running. I didn't click on it and put in all my information. I am to blame because I clicked an AD on a major gaming site. Come on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    common sense is the backbone of knowledge.

I think I might quote this in daily life.

Deleted
    Guys come on now, you don't understand. It said ''click here''.

10+ Year Old Account
    And people wonder why they get hacked...
    DAMN YOU *insert company here, probably Blizzard* FOR YOUR CRAPPY SECURITY.

MMO-Champion does not screen every ad that the ad provider posts on the website. This is how EVERY website on the internet operates. Now if something pops up like this that causes an issue the website in question can contact the ad provider to remove the website from their ad rotation on their website. But no reasonable person can expect for a website host to screen every ad from every provider beforehand. It just never happens. Just inform MMO-Champion and they will contact the provider. You don't need to jump on MMO's back for something that is beyond their control.

Agree with OP, whether it is an AD Provider or not that puts the ads on here, MMO champ is entirely responsible for EVERYTHING on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by 0oglitcho0 View Post
    I think I might quote this in daily life.
    Common Sense and both Logical would assume a major gaming site checks the links and not place a "Buyer Beware" I would assume this site makes a good amount of money from the games. A virus in one of their AD's is not just a risk for my situation. If you try to google "MMO Champion" and it actually has too many AD's it can give a red underline warning to other people.

Some people don't seem to understand this is not the case of "Well you shouldn't have clicked a random AD" they should be saying

"Oh there's an AD that contains Malware just from clicking it on it. We'll remove it ASAP to protect the community"

Some people's tone towards something are simply outrageous sometimes. Blaming the person for clicking on the AD and not installing AD block. Encouraging to download a tool that declines site's profits or check links for malware before they are placed up..

Edited: This link is what I needed

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...orting-bad-ads

Deleted
    It's in the ad hosting site's, the ad provider and the users' interest to have these scam/virus/browser exploit ads removed. Just some bad apples in the many different ads that the ad providers take in. No need to act outraged by that. Maybe somewhere someone removes the ad from the cycle once they become aware of it, like posting that. MMO-champion can't check whether the ads give a virus or put flying seagulls on your screen. Thumbs OP, laughed bit at most of page 1 .