Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2690, is it worth it?

cost: twice as much as I pay each month for my carloan, which is 950 euro roughly, 500 euro more then my rent, about the same kinda of money as I spend on food for about 3-4 months.
    I fail to see any good reason to buy a cpu that costs 2.1k euro, I really don't, I bought a i7 3770k and with some watercooling and oc I'm sure it outperforms it greatly, so what is the benefit of buying such a beast? remember this price is WITHOUT A GODDAMNED FAN.

No, it isn't, especially for gaming. A number of benchmarks show that Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge i7s and even i5s outperform the Xeons (or come mighty close) in gaming.

The Xeon family of processors are only worth buying if you're doing some crazy heavy processing work (server level stuff, basically).

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a server CPU.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Did you get the idea to buy this Xeon by any chance, from motherboardsorg?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Did you get the idea to buy this Xeon by any chance, from motherboardsorg?
    Wasn't planning on buying it, I was just wondering what kind of crazy people would buy this, but I guess I can understand it if it's work related investment, besides I can't afford this anyway, I got enough to pay for each month lol.

Ironically, I was JUST looking at http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/3255219 and saw the dual e5 2690's and laughed. Seriously, ironic that I saw those, came here, and saw someone asking if it's worth it.

Aveline's amazing work!

If you are doing lots of crazy hard calculations that need doing fast, get a server motherboard (400 dollars and upwards) with 1-2 of those 8 core xeons (1000+ dollars each).

I hate saying this, and I know others do too, but if you don't know that you need a Xeon, you don't need one. A Sandy Bridge build will run games faster than a Xeon build, even one with two or more processors.

10+ Year Old Account
    i've been looking into them for a dedicated machine for 3d modeling and rendering

however, it has been proven and benchmarked that dual 2690s are not as good as a 3960x for normal tasks and gaming, simply do to the fact that they cannot be overclocked at all

so, unless you need more then 8 threads, a 3770k is better

edit: motherboards.org can shove it you know where too

Quote Originally Posted by Speedlance View Post
    Wasn't planning on buying it, I was just wondering what kind of crazy people would buy this, but I guess I can understand it if it's work related investment, besides I can't afford this anyway, I got enough to pay for each month lol.
    Tons of "crazy" people buying them for servers. :P

This site you're browsing now (and just about every other site or hosting solution - among many other things) are using Xeons or Opterons.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Tons of "crazy" people buying them for servers. :P
    they sure seem that way to the budget committee :P

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    they sure seem that way to the budget committee :P
    "I bought a computer for $200 from walmart and it runs the internet perfectly well. Why do you need a $10000 computer for this website?"