Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Am i the only pally actually glad for the removal of auras? i only ever used devotion as prot and swapping to crusader and back everytime i mounted up was annoying as hell.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilkie View Post
    Am i the only pally actually glad for the removal of auras? i only ever used devotion as prot and swapping to crusader and back everytime i mounted up was annoying as hell.
    No. You are not.

Auras were hardly definitive of the Paladin class. They were boring, passive buffs that in most cases were also brought by other classes; Shaman have totems that mirror Devotion and Concentration and tons of classes can bring the resistance auras. The only auras that were truly unique were Retribution and Crusader. Crusader was a utility aura and virtually no one noticed Retribution Aura because of how minuscule the damage was.

Having one Aura, the same aura that was originally in Warcraft 3 no less, be a raid-wide cooldown for paladins of all specs is much more iconic to me then a bunch of wimpy passive effects.

Also, Crusader Aura has become Heart of the Crusader, which is now a paladin-only passive. It would be nifty if they made a Major Glyph that turned it raid-wide again.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhozul View Post
    Having one Aura, the same aura that was originally in Warcraft 3 no less, be a raid-wide cooldown for paladins of all specs is much more iconic to me then a bunch of wimpy passive effects.

Also, Crusader Aura has become Heart of the Crusader, which is now a paladin-only passive. It would be nifty if they made a Major Glyph that turned it raid-wide again.
    So, your issue with Auras is that they were weak, but you also acknowledge the mechanic has ben part of the class since WC3. Surely then, the solution is to ensure Auras are meaningful....for example, by having them replace Blessings?

As for CA - it should be raid wide by default. Ever try to ride with a group of people who weren't affected by your aura? You overtook them, you stopped for them to catch up, you move on and repeat.

EJL

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    So, your issue with Auras is that they were weak, but you also acknowledge the mechanic has ben part of the class since WC3. Surely then, the solution is to ensure Auras are meaningful....for example, by having them replace Blessings?
    Blessings aren't very meaningful either, mechanically-speaking. You cast them once and forget about them for an hour. A powerful cooldown to protect the raid is much more meaningful.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    Blessings aren't very meaningful either, mechanically-speaking. You cast them once and forget about them for an hour. A powerful cooldown to protect the raid is much more meaningful.
    They are meaningful enough, and would allow the retention of what many see as an iconic ability associated with the class since WC2. They don't have much interaction, but they are auras.

EJL

I think its a bug; tried a premade Pally (thinking of going back to mine for MoP) and after I chose Prot talents and whatnot I had two Seal of Truth icons (one with the old icon, one with the new icon) on my bar, so I'm guessing that the new one was Seal of Command that should have been replaced when it was "upgraded" to Seal of Truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are meaningful enough, and would allow the retention of what many see as an iconic ability associated with the class since WC2. They don't have much interaction, but they are auras.

EJL
    The new Devotion Aura is still an aura, and it retains its original purpose: protecting teammates. Renaming Kings (which offers no protection) or Might (which only offers protection for five specs out of 33) doesn't seem to fit with Devotion Aura's theme.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilkie View Post
    I have an issue with this assertion. The auras were first made wimpy by Blizzard itself and now people are cheering how Blizzard is doing us a favour.

Retribution aura nerf in cataclysm comes to mind. Poor pwecious Rogues were "killing themselves" because of Retribution aura so Blizzard nerfed it to the ground.

Crusader was first made less useful when Blizzard moved Aura Mastery out of reach of two specs. Then nerfed even more by not being affected by AM at all.

After all this Blizzard comes and they're "doing us a favour" by removing auras. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkcrusader View Post
    Retribution aura nerf in cataclysm comes to mind. Poor pwecious Rogues were "killing themselves" because of Retribution aura so Blizzard nerfed it to the ground.
    They nerfed all reflective damage. It just so happened that Paladins had the most of it.

Crusader was first made less useful when Blizzard moved Aura Mastery out of reach of two specs. Then nerfed even more by not being affected by AM at all.
    It made having a Paladin (and following the first nerf, a Holy Paladin) required for rated BGs for the additional speed it granted in reaching objectives. The primary point they've been trying to work on is bringing the player and not the class.

After all this Blizzard comes and they're "doing us a favour" by removing auras. :/
    They are doing us a favor. Auras were passive buffs that couldn't be counteracted in any way. The closest approximation would be shaman totems, and you can still destroy those to remove buffs. By removing them, they get removed from consideration when they balance Paladins against the rest of the game, giving more leeway in other areas for tuning.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Stood in the Fire Arthur-the-exalted's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    They nerfed all reflective damage. It just so happened that Paladins had the most of it.

It made having a Paladin (and following the first nerf, a Holy Paladin) required for rated BGs for the additional speed it granted in reaching objectives. The primary point they've been trying to work on is bringing the player and not the class.

They are doing us a favor. Auras were passive buffs that couldn't be counteracted in any way. The closest approximation would be shaman totems, and you can still destroy those to remove buffs. By removing them, they get removed from consideration when they balance Paladins against the rest of the game, giving more leeway in other areas for tuning.
    There is no "favor" in removing our auras, they already nerfed the hell out of our ret aura...and they were not that powerful to need to be countered....and balance paladins??? HAHAHA, the only BALANCE pals ever get since we got divine storm in BC has been nerfs, they nerf the hellll out of us like every patch/expansion is so sad. rouges get to keep touting along with all there op powers, but a pally kill a rouge in arena and the rouge QQs and then blizzard is like dont cry ...NERF BAT!!!!!

Compare it to thorns aura in D2...its a boring skill and it was either grossly OP or crap; retribution aura should be scrapped anyway.

With the revamp of Devotion aura though, it opens the possibility to be more creative with paladin skills which are active instead of passive buffs. Can blizz make other sort of CD "Auras" which give interesting, yet temporary effects. The beta so far has been very fun as ret and more challenging as prot (compared to the old builds)- its fun and I welcome the changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebhil View Post
    With the revamp of Devotion aura though, it opens the possibility to be more creative with paladin skills which are active instead of passive buffs. Can blizz make other sort of CD "Auras" which give interesting, yet temporary effects. The beta so far has been very fun as ret and more challenging as prot (compared to the old builds)- its fun and I welcome the changes.
    It might be interesting to have auras similar to warriors' new War Banners. Make them cooldowns with some sort of raid-wide effect, but all share a cooldown. On top of the new Devotion Aura, something like:

Retribution Aura
    3 minute cooldown
    You project an aura of righteous vengeance around you, increasing all damage and healing done by party and raid members within 100 yards by 20% for 15 sec. Affected players cannot be affected by Retribution Aura again for 3 minutes.
    (Probably way too powerful, though.)

Concentration Aura
    3 minute cooldown
    You project an aura of concentration around you, regenerating 1% mana to up to 3 party and raid members within 100 yards each sec. for 15 sec. This spell prioritizes the party and raid members with the lowest mana.
    (Sort of like a paladin version of Hymn of Hope.)

Crusader Aura
    3 minute cooldown
    You project an inspirational aura around you, increasing the movement and mounted movement speed of all party and raid members within 100 yards by 60% for 10 sec. This spell can be used while mounted.
    (Like Stampeding Roar, but also for mounted players.)

Can people cry more. They removed auras and made Crusader aura baseline passive. Atleast we have aura mastery back and bring a raid cooldown as ret.

---------- Post added 2012-06-19 at 03:12 AM ----------

It might be interesting to have auras similar to warriors' new War Banners. Make them cooldowns with some sort of raid-wide effect, but all share a cooldown. On top of the new Devotion Aura, something like:

Retribution Aura
    3 minute cooldown
    You project an aura of righteous vengeance around you, increasing all damage and healing done by party and raid members within 100 yards by 20% for 15 sec. Affected players cannot be affected by Retribution Aura again for 3 minutes.
    (Probably way too powerful, though.)

Concentration Aura
    3 minute cooldown
    You project an aura of concentration around you, regenerating 1% mana to up to 3 party and raid members within 100 yards each sec. for 15 sec. This spell prioritizes the party and raid members with the lowest mana.
    (Sort of like a paladin version of Hymn of Hope.)

Crusader Aura
    3 minute cooldown
    You project an inspirational aura around you, increasing the movement and mounted movement speed of all party and raid members within 100 yards by 60% for 10 sec. This spell can be used while mounted.
    (Like Stampeding Roar, but also for mounted players.)
    I like this ALOT. I feel it's horseshit wars get War banner, Rally cry, and shatter throw. Three complete exclusive raid buffs/ debuffs.

I love those ideas too Riven, although your retribution aura is a bit too similar to Avenging wrath. What would happen is a paladin activated both? The paladin would put forth insanely op damage or healing individually.

I had thought it might be better to make retribution something like Baron Rivendare's passive unholy aura; it should at least be something that isn't similar or stackable with other effects (either temporary or passive)

Retribution Aura
    3 minute cooldown
    The light burns through you with righteous vengeance, causing holy damage per second for 15 seconds to every enemy target within X yards of you (15 -20 yards?)

Unfortunately this idea seems a bit too similar to demonology lock's immolation aura...

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The new Devotion Aura is still an aura, and it retains its original purpose: protecting teammates. Renaming Kings (which offers no protection) or Might (which only offers protection for five specs out of 33) doesn't seem to fit with Devotion Aura's theme.
    Theme? What most players, IME, mean by "Aura" is an always on area of effect passive buff mechanic. The new Devotion Aura is an active short term AoE DR mechanic based on Aura Mastery/Divine Guardian. If it's an "aura", then any AoE centred on the caster effect is also an aura.

EJL

10+ Year Old Account
    Theme? What most players, IME, mean by "Aura" is an always on area of effect passive buff mechanic. The new Devotion Aura is an active short term AoE DR mechanic based on Aura Mastery/Divine Guardian. If it's an "aura", then any AoE centred on the caster effect is also an aura.

EJL
    In game mechanics terms, an aura is any effect placed on a unit (i.e. a buff or debuff). So, yes, technically any raid buff is an aura. But semantics aside, I was thinking more along the lines of auras as group-wide effects, although they are indeed usually permanent or long-duration in order to be called auras.

And I said what its theme is: protecting the paladin's teammates from harm.

Quote Originally Posted by Playintrafic View Post
    Should have deleted my paladin to make room for my 2nd dk instead of my warlock.

Why do they insist on screwing with paladins so damn much? I've allready basically quit playing my paladin because of HoPo but I was hoping they'd get rid of it eventually.

But now they are stripping an iconic class ability like auras? GTFO. Especially if I can't use crusader aura anymore, that is gonna suck. Those I suppose my DK main is loosing on a pale horse as a talent....

My paladin was my first alliance toon back in vanilla, and its been through 4 expansions, 3 server xfers, and a race change when I finally got sick staring at a human male.

(Back when I made him paladin races were limited to humans, and short fat humans with beards.)
    Oh no my precious aura the sky is falling! Whatever will I do without my (insignificant thorns damage)/(redundant buff)/(minor pushback resistance)???

It would be nice if they made the auras actually matter instead of removing them, but meh. Auras are junk.

Deleted
    Come on people, Auras weren't exactly exciting.

Even less so then totems, which actually had to be put down manually. Auras was just always on. That's not exciting.

I'm glad they're removing a lot of these passive/semi-passive things from the game.

It's just things that doesn't need to be there.

10+ Year Old Account
    On my beta, every time I click Seal of Command, Seal of Truth activates.

Seal of Command is not supposed to be on the Seals bar after gaining Truth. This must have somehow slipped in one of the earlier patches, because when I first entered the beta, there was no Seal of Command, only the regular 4 at 85.

Also, I'm glad Auras are gone. It seemed the only time I ever used them was Devotion for Tanking (which I don't even do anymore), Resistance as any other role, or the weak Retribution Aura when we had a Shaman with Elemental Resist totem. We get Crusader's Aura as a passive now, along with Death Knights always having On A Pale Horse (My DK will love this), so I see no issues here.
    Last edited by Sentinel; 2012-06-19 at 09:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It always comes down to lore blah blah blah and iconic superficial abilities, well lets think of something real quick. Avenging Wrath, Divine Shield, Devotion Aura, Blessings, and Seals. So there fore if blizz thought auras where THAT special we would still have them. Ret Aura was Shit. Dev aura was blah. Resistance aura was complete garbage in arena passed 1550 rating do to how easy it was to reach your spell pen. Concentration aura was helpful and Crusader was convenient. NONE of these spells are an OH MY GOD MY AURA IS GONE NOOOOOO!!!!!!! Honestly Blizz should just make all of these passive for certain specs just for shits and giggles to cheer up the lore boys n girls. Ret/Devo for ret. Res/Devo for prot. Coc/Res for Holy. and let them be passive. Crusader all like it is now in MoP. I like the look of ret pallies right now i can't wait until things are tweaked so we can see how well they will do.