Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Boomkin vs Cat DPS.

So after been a healer for so long I want to try out dps. I've been using Feral(cat) for about a week now and it's pretty fun and the damage is good, but i almost never see boomkins so I just want to ask which does more dps single target? In fights where you get to stand there and just do your rotation over and over which would come out on top dps?

Thanks for reading.

If you are switching now it means you don't have the Legendary. I would suggest going Kitty to be competitive but if it's fun you are after I would say Boomkin hands down

As for DPS I would say 35-40k on Ultraxion and even higher on multidot/gimmick fights for Booms. Have no idea where kitties stand.

15+ Year Old Account
    balance & cat are quite close i should not realy judge it on what dps is high but you better judge on what is more fun
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Deleted
    Boomkin is way much more funnier than cat in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Juvencus View Post
    If you are switching now it means you don't have the Legendary. I would suggest going Kitty to be competitive but if it's fun you are after I would say Boomkin hands down

As for DPS I would say 35-40k on Ultraxion and even higher on multidot/gimmick fights for Booms. Have no idea where kitties stand.
    Lol for balance the difference between 35k and 40k is HUGE....A moonkin doing 35k on Ultra is playing his class right....One doing 40k is playing it damn there perfectly.

OP: Imo pure DPS meaning no mechanics just standing there wacking it Feral is going to come out on top.

Without legendary this is personally how i think it goes:
    Morchok- Moonkin(unless the feral is mastery specced)
    Zon'ozz- Feral
    Yor'sahj- Feral
    Hagara- Moonkin
    Ultraxion- Gah..Its close still going to say Feral though.
    Warmaster- Moonkin
    Spine- Again close, going to say Moonkin though.
    Madness- People are going to think i'm insane but i'm going to say Feral on this one too. The on demand AoE with the current nerfs I think pulls it ahead.

This is just from personal experience, if you want to view some numbers you can check out http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/...agon_Soul/dps/

It's kind of irrelevant given it'll all change in MoP. Pick the one you enjoy more. Also be aware that melee slots are rare, you're more likely to get a slot as RDPS :P

moonkin is boring as dog shit, its so easy ray charles could get ranks

feral is where the skill is at.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peki View Post

couldnt be more wrong, with 2pc t13 a toddler could play feral, for most ds fights you need to sit in eclipses for periods of times/ wait for an eclipse for mana/ develop your burst dps etc, balance is definatly the harder spec atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Noetical View Post
    couldnt be more wrong, with 2pc t13 a toddler could play feral, for most ds fights you need to sit in eclipses for periods of times/ wait for an eclipse for mana/ develop your burst dps etc, balance is definatly the harder spec atm.
    Lol, yes anyone can feral, but not everyone can play Feral properly, it is still one of the hardest Classes to play properly in the game due to everything we have to do with our bleeds and timers. the 2pc t 13 makes it a little easier it doesn't make it cake walk.

Quote Originally Posted by JonBeMerkin View Post
    Zon'ozz- Feral
    Spine- Again close, going to say Moonkin though.
    Disagree with these 2 specifically.

Zon'ozz might depend on your group and strat. But for us, moonkins are better because of multi-doting all the mobs during the black phase.
    Ferals are great on spine. Having berserk up for every tendon is a huge dps burst compared to a moonkin, who really doesn't have any.

Unless the feral is tunneling the boss a properly played moonkin will beat a feral on Yor'sahj, all the running between oozes is way too much downtime for a feral to keep up. Moonkin would win madness as well.

Feral wins ultraxion by a landslide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OniPew View Post
    So after been a healer for so long I want to try out dps. I've been using Feral(cat) for about a week now and it's pretty fun and the damage is good, but i almost never see boomkins so I just want to ask which does more dps single target? In fights where you get to stand there and just do your rotation over and over which would come out on top dps?

Thanks for reading.
    Both do compareable DPS. Feral can be a bit trickier to master though as it's;
    A) melee spec
    B) requires you to be behind the boss to do your best nuke
    C) juggle both a semi complex rotation with fast moving resource (energy)

Balance is;
    A) ranged (so down time & less worries about cleaves, tail swipes, etc...)
    B) placement doesn't matter
    C) lunar/solar power spices it up, but it's still a generally forgiving rotation with a simple resource (mana).
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyepic View Post
    Unless the feral is tunneling the boss a properly played moonkin will beat a feral on Yor'sahj, all the running between oozes is way too much downtime for a feral to keep up. Moonkin would win madness as well.

I raided 10 man but on heroic we just kept melee on the boss no real reason for them to leave? Plus swipe spam vs multidotting is so much easier lol, save beserk for double add phases and gg

Quote Originally Posted by Noetical View Post
    I raided 10 man but on heroic we just kept melee on the boss no real reason for them to leave? Plus swipe spam vs multidotting is so much easier lol, save beserk for double add phases and gg
    depends on the time frame you're talking about doing Yor'sahj heroic, pretty sure with the 0% buff pre-nerf everyone had to switch to oozes, left one melee on the boss at most and that was usually a rogue. Once the buff came out yeah u can leave extra people on the boss because the entire instance is just faceroll. Swipe spamming is certainly easier, but like i said a well played moonkin will still out damage a feral

Deleted
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...68:15068:a6111 we had always had two melee on it

But yeh my point before was how easy feral was to boomkin, im agreeing with you :P

As a kitty I get around 40k DPS on Ultraxion, so they are quite balanced. I prefer kitty DPS, but I would say it's slightly more punishing than Boomkin atm.

I actually get either 1st or 2nd on the DPS meters on the hc Yor'sahj encounter. However, I know that Boomkins would have an easier time due to the lower downtime.
    Last edited by Drihan; 2012-05-23 at 10:20 PM.
    Intel i7-5820k @ 4.5 GHz
    Asus Rampage V Extreme x99
    Asus GTX 980
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    Windows 10 Home x64

With nerfs its good to have 1-2 melee dps on yor'sahj. A smart raid leader would keep the feral on yor'sahj. Only reason i said feral is better then moonkin on yor'sahj is because of that reason.

Also i'm talking about normal so i still think a feral would do better dps then a moonkin on madness and yor'sahj. The eclipse holding on yor'sahj for the small benefit on yor'sahj would be bad (if you hold the eclipse) and if you don't then the AoE will be bad. Feral will have the great AoE because their AoE is bursty and only lasts a few seconds unless they zerk which is a overkill for AoEing on normal.

For madness normal i still think its pretty close between the two but again going to go with feral because moonkin takes a bit more "skill" with eclipses ect ect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peki View Post

Unfortunatly he isnt wrong, hes 100% correct, long time druid here, played every spec over and over and balance is as he said boring as dog shit.
    i7 4770k 4.6GHZ................................................ ¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
    OCZ Arc 100 x2 (240g) RAID 0.........................°º¤ø„¸? Druid ,„ø¤º°¨
    Kingston HyperX 8 gig 2400.......................... ¸„ø¤º°¨ For Life! 0¤ø„¸
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 OC.......................... ¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸ ¨°º¤ø

Deleted
    I been playing Druid since I started and never looked back on that decision. Have quite some experience with all specs (not resto raiding experience though). I have been feral tank/cat offspec since Dragon Soul as we had only 1 tank so had to be back-up and moonkin as mainspec since ICC. So done Morchok, Ultrax, Gunship and Spine as feral most of the time (Spine is great for feral to tank Amalgamations and swap to cat for tendons).

I'd say both specs are quite fun to play, moonkin because of the way Eclipse works and you have to think how to get the most out of it and feral because of the movement aspect (being closer to danger etc). Moonkin is by far not boring if played properly and you have some gear. I can imagine a starter moonkin might think it's boring because of low haste values and takes ages to get into eclipses, but with some gear it's amazingly fun. Strong multidots and AoE dmg, slightly low on single target nuke though. But good for Morchok (double DoTs on both bosses), Zon'ozz (multi-dot tentacles), Yor'sahj (multi-dot adds and mushrooms), Gunship (multi-dot drakes and adds) and plentyful of Spellweave on Madness.

Feral cat has a lot more single target nuke damage, shining on Spine in particular with Berserk on start of each tendons. Shame you can't Shred on Ultrax though as that'd be a good fight for feral as well.

All in all, I'd say try both and see what you like most. Because you just started you'll miss out on Dragonwrath, which does quite some damage, so gearwise you might go feral for a better shot at weapon BiS.

Quote Originally Posted by Titansruler View Post
    I been playing Druid since I started and never looked back on that decision. Have quite some experience with all specs (not resto raiding experience though). I have been feral tank/cat offspec since Dragon Soul as we had only 1 tank so had to be back-up and moonkin as mainspec since ICC. So done Morchok, Ultrax, Gunship and Spine as feral most of the time (Spine is great for feral to tank Amalgamations and swap to cat for tendons).

I'd say both specs are quite fun to play, moonkin because of the way Eclipse works and you have to think how to get the most out of it and feral because of the movement aspect (being closer to danger etc). Moonkin is by far not boring if played properly and you have some gear. I can imagine a starter moonkin might think it's boring because of low haste values and takes ages to get into eclipses, but with some gear it's amazingly fun. Strong multidots and AoE dmg, slightly low on single target nuke though. But good for Morchok (double DoTs on both bosses), Zon'ozz (multi-dot tentacles), Yor'sahj (multi-dot adds and mushrooms), Gunship (multi-dot drakes and adds) and plentyful of Spellweave on Madness.

Feral cat has a lot more single target nuke damage, shining on Spine in particular with Berserk on start of each tendons. Shame you can't Shred on Ultrax though as that'd be a good fight for feral as well.

All in all, I'd say try both and see what you like most. Because you just started you'll miss out on Dragonwrath, which does quite some damage, so gearwise you might go feral for a better shot at weapon BiS.
    You DoT both bosses on Heroic Morchok? You multi-dot the tentacles on Zon'ozz? Your raid has some weird tactics.