Trooper vs BH (mortar volley vs Death from above) rage

ok so i was bored and decided to check something out

I lvled both a trooper and a bounty hunter to lvl 10 and tested their AoEs Mortar Volley and Death from above. the reason behind this is because i noticed a HUGE shrink with my troopers MV area and damage.

so the trooper has a reduced area and less damage

I tested the bounty hunter and found that they have the SAME area they always had and do more damage with their ability than the trooper. this makes me really mad. how can the troopers get a reduced area of effect WITH a damage reduction to boot and the bounty hunter has no change at all to their death from above ability.

am i just ragefaceing over my troopers ability and biasing the BH or does this ring true for others

Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    I tested the bounty hunter and found that they have the SAME area they always had and do more damage with their ability than the trooper.
    I'm not quite understanding what exactly you are seeing. I don't mean any disrespect by that, as I am genuinely confused. Both BH and Trooper had their AoE attacks (DFA and MV, respectively) shrunk severely. They should also mirror the same amount of damage. They used to make bigger hits less frequently, from what I understood, but now they have 2x the amount of damage ticks in a quicker amount of time for less each. (Or so I've gathered, at least. Please correct me if I'm wrong.) The AoE size on both skills was shrunk dramatically, and has been a constantly reoccurring complaint among the BH forums.

I also play a trooper and BH both, and they are both in their mid 30's. I can say for certain that the AoE size range on both are the same.

I vaguely remember a Dev post awhile ago that mentioned that the visual for Death from Above did make it look like it affected a bigger area than Mortar Volley but they do actually only affect the same area. The damage definitely should be the same though. I'll see if I can dig that post up.

The tropper one missed the initial thick, while the BH one thicked imidiatly but I think that was fixed.

Also the BH seems bigger because acutaly it was but it was nerfed in 1.2, so the animation on BH seems bigger than actually is.

The same happens for flametrower vs "pulse cannon"(think thats the name), on the tropper one the range seems bigger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another more important fact is that Death From Above looks infinitely cooler than Mortar Volley.

Were you testing with the exact same stats?

I lvled both a trooper and a bounty hunter to lvl 10 and tested their AoEs Mortar Volley and Death from above. the reason behind this is because i noticed a HUGE shrink with my troopers MV area and damage.

I tested the bounty hunter and found that they have the SAME area they always had and do more damage with their ability than the trooper. this makes me really mad. how can the troopers get a reduced area of effect WITH a damage reduction to boot and the bounty hunter has no change at all to their death from above ability.

am i just ragefaceing over my troopers ability and biasing the BH or does this ring true for others
    As a day 1 bounty hunter, I noticed a reduction in my aoe on death from above. There are even mobs in flashpoints I used to be able to hit all of them, now I can't no matter where I place it.

Deleted
    the impression is purely because Targeting circles STILL don't match the actual area they hit. i've had multiple times that i stood visibly outside the circle of NPC AoEs, but the AoE still hit me.

Just in the spirit of animations, my friend and I started a Trooper duo and found that the lightning arcs from the pulse cannon are about 3-4 meters beyond the actual range.

Quote Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
    As a day 1 bounty hunter, I noticed a reduction in my aoe on death from above. There are even mobs in flashpoints I used to be able to hit all of them, now I can't no matter where I place it.
    You are right. OP is flat wrong when he says there was no change to Death From Above.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    You are right. OP is flat wrong when he says there was no change to Death From Above.
    What's funny about that is they said they were nerfing it's size to bring it more in line with other AoEs. Funny jokes are funny. Lightning Field and Orbital Strike have a huge radius of effect compared to DFA/MV. That ability may as well be for single target and extremely clumped up enemy use.

having a Opr and a BH I can tell you orbital strike is totaly diferent from Death from above, but I agree that DfA its kinda bad now as a powertech tank sometimes it didnt even reached a whole pack for pulling

And yes Orbital has a huge radius and its even used on single target rotation due to its powerfull damage, but instead of being a channeled effect like DfA, its a cast time, then it thicks slowly like 3x times once every 3sec

ok ok so i was worng after using it more and more. I guess i was just biased against BHs since i love my troopers so much, but yea we both have same radius and damage and they STILL suck but hey l love the classes and will still play them

One more wound to poke a stick at -

When BH's use Death From Above, they do not get hit by Pulse Cannon... which in my opinion should be CONE shaped, and not triangular-planar.
    Spacebar spacebar spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar dark-side.

10+ Year Old Account

You are just ragefacing. Our DfA ability was reduced in size by a substantial amount. Also the damage of both abilities are exactly the same as before. According to Stephen Reid, both abilities just tick faster, that is why the numbers look 'lower'.