Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    This whole character transfer thing re-iterates a major thing that people were complaining about in the first place: names. Single names for each character is such an out-of-date notion for an MMO. It's going to lead to all sorts of grief when the game is new, for new players who join, and for any time you do a server merge.

Can you imagine how hard it would be to find ANY name that wasn't almost completely random in D3 if we weren't identified by a single handle?

MMO developers need to enforce uniqueness by either character first and last name, by a special handle you can use for each character that would not be the one normally used/displayed in-game, or by a specific handle for the account. That way if you want your guy to be called "Shadow", then you can be one of 1,000 "Shadows" running around, and yet you can all be unique and everyone is happier. The design decision to have a single name for character is just another sign of how this game was made to standards of around 2007.
    Never really ever thought of that as a big issue. Still don't.

I guess I'm just creative enough to think of a name that isn't taken. I'm not stubbornly attached to one name I need to have in all my games or care deep enough on the odd chance my first creative name just happens to be taken, I can easily come up with another non-generic name.

Haters gonna hate I guess, then call this game outdated for a silly reason.

---------- Post added 2012-06-22 at 02:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    And if you had bothered to mention every other MMO that does this, I wouldn't have said shit. Since you didn't and decided to focus on one, and promptly bash them for it, I decided to respond in kind. That's fine, it's poor design, but don't single one MMO out and act like this is the only one that does it. That's the point.
    Yeah, when people pull whiny moves like that and specifically bash one game because of a general every game problem, really lowers the credibility of their problems and just comes off as trolling/flaming. If your gonna use a problem like that to try and aide in bashing a game calling it outdated then other popular games should have generally as a whole moved on to something better, but they havn't so it's actually still a 2012 idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post

I guess I'm just creative enough to think of a name that isn't taken. I'm not stubbornly attached to one name I need to have in all my games or care deep enough on the odd chance my first creative name just happens to be taken, I can easily come up with another non-generic name.
    I don't think it's a big issue. But I can see people being attached to names they may have had for a long time, through numerous games. Just because you're not doesn't mean people are being stubborn, btw.
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Blackmore View Post
    I don't think it's a big issue. But I can see people being attached to names they may have had for a long time, through numerous games. Just because you're not doesn't mean people are being stubborn, btw.

I've got such a large host of names to pick from, that it's not a huge deal for me to find a name at char-gen. But I do tend to pick a name that in my mind fits that character. I've done it before where I've designed the look of the character based on the name that was available. So in that regard it is irritating that once I have one set up, I had to change it due to the server transfers, but oh well. In the same way, I've made and deleted many characters trying to find a "face" to fit the default voice, since there's no way to "test" the voice before you get into the game and run a conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    Same here, I hate it when my 2 toon names (Nadja and Derah) are taken. Then again, they are so unique and uncommon that is never a problem =D
    That's pretty much how my names are. They're pretty rare that I actually get surprised when one of them is taken. If they are, I just think up something else random. All in all, I'm not wanting to be a dick about it, but if you're names are something that are always taken, or you always have to worry they will be taken and need to reserve them, then you should try coming up with something more unique and original.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post

Haters gonna hate I guess, then call this game outdated for a silly reason.
    This is kind of a special case. We're moving established characters with established identities. People are in guilds and have built friends lists. If this were the start of the game and everyone had the same blank slate it wouldn't be a problem. I came up with new names for this game and I'll do it again in the next one, and the one after. It's just extra painful when you're doing it mid-stream.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    This is kind of a special case. We're moving established characters with established identities. People are in guilds and have built friends lists. If this were the start of the game and everyone had the same blank slate it wouldn't be a problem. I came up with new names for this game and I'll do it again in the next one, and the one after. It's just extra painful when you're doing it mid-stream.
    Makes you wonder what people do IRL when they change their name...