Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    There is Quake Live no sp but still alot of fun and it's free.

http://www.quakelive.com

There's also Loadout that looks pretty interesting but so far it's still in beta.

http://www.loadout.com
    Last edited by Zhinkis; 2012-06-08 at 01:24 PM.

"Mass Effect 2", and "Mass Effect 2&9/10ths" are good shooters.

You should check out Planetside 2, it is a free to play MMOFPS, and it looks very awesome, with up to 1000s of players on a single map. You can check out alpha footage, and some E3 floor demo stuff on TotalHalibut's (totalbiscuit) channel. I will definitely be playing it once it comes out.

Single player, I absolutely love the F.E.A.R series.

Its overall a good horror shooter plus being able to slow down time is great fun, #3 Also has Co-op if you wish to play with a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyriok View Post
    Single player, I absolutely love the F.E.A.R series.
    The first one is amazing. Easily the best AI I've ever seen in a shooter to date (still). Subsequent ones, not so much, but the first one is great.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    The first one is amazing. Easily the best AI I've ever seen in a shooter to date (still). Subsequent ones, not so much, but the first one is great.
    Played both FEAR and halo and I'd still give it up to halo 1 for the best AI.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by lordsgamer315 View Post
    You should check out Planetside 2, it is a free to play MMOFPS, and it looks very awesome, with up to 1000s of players on a single map. You can check out alpha footage, and some E3 floor demo stuff on TotalHalibut's (totalbiscuit) channel. I will definitely be playing it once it comes out.
    This guy knows what's up.

Quote Originally Posted by raist187 View Post
    This guy knows what's up.
    Except that Planetside 2 won't be out till much later this year and the OP appears to be looking for a game to play in the immediate future...so it's irrelevant to the thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    "Mass Effect 2", and "Mass Effect 2&9/10ths" are good shooters.
    Mass Effect isn't a shooter.

---------- Post added 2012-06-08 at 01:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Played both FEAR and halo and I'd still give it up to halo 1 for the best AI.
    Halo's AI isn't anywhere near the complexity of FEAR's. The AI was a huge selling point for the game and it's still the only shooter I've ever played where I was honestly outwitted once or twice by the AI.

I'd probably go with TF2. It's free, it's active, and it's still a hell of a lot of fun.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Except that Planetside 2 won't be out till much later this year and the OP appears to be looking for a game to play in the immediate future...so it's irrelevant to the thread.
    The creative director (Matt Higby) said at E3 that beta would be starting in the next couple weeks, so if the OP is bored, might as well sign up.

Mass Effect isn't a shooter.
    It sure is a 3rd person shooter with dialogue side game attached to it.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    It sure is a 3rd person shooter with dialogue side game attached to it.
    That's like calling Fallout 3 a shooter.

It's an RPG with shooter elements, not the other way around.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    That's like calling Fallout 3 a shooter.

It's an RPG with shooter elements, not the other way around.
    But Fallout 3 IS a shooter with RPG elements. Just the same as with Mass Effect games. (Or well, ME doesn't really have RPG elements that much, just dialogue trees)
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    But Fallout 3 IS a shooter with RPG elements. Just the same as with Mass Effect games. (Or well, ME doesn't really have RPG elements that much, just dialogue trees)
    No. An actual shooter does not use stats to decide where bullets go - you point, you shoot, they die. Maybe you adjust for gravity and windage in a realistic shooter, but your bullets will NOT miss (ever!) if you are aiming properly, nor is the weapon's damage dependent on skill levels or character levels or whatever.

RPGs like Fallout 3 have shooter elements - you point the gun at them, pull the trigger, and eventually they die - but weapon spread, weapon damage, and a whole host of other factors are entirely dependent on stats and skill levels. In a shooter, your laser rifle would be just as accurate as your assault rifle before the weapon's characteristics come into play, and both the assault rifle and laser rifle would do the same amount of damage before weapon characteristics come into play.

In a game like Fallout 3, the damage that assault rifle and laser rifle deals is dependent on your weapon skill stat, and their accuracy is heavily influenced as well. A character with a low energy weapons skill will be inaccurate and ineffective with that laser rifle, but will be accurate and deadly with that assault rifle if his small guns skill is good.

That's the defining difference between an RPG with shooter elements, and a shooter with RPG elements - in the former, gameplay is dictated by character stats and the shooter elements are just the vehicle used to carry the game. In the latter, the effect of character "stats" is entirely secondary to the gameplay.

Deus Ex would be an RPG with shooter elements. Deus Ex: Invisible War would be a shooter with RPG elements. Understand the difference?

EDIT: Fallout 3 can certainly be modded to become the latter instead of the former, and I think it's actually really damn fun if you do mod it that way, but the vanilla game is definitely an RPG first and a shooter second (which is why so many people hate the Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta DLCs compared to Point Lookout and The Pitt.)

10+ Year Old Account
    You should definitely play Bioshock 1 & 2 if you haven't yet.
    Rairu - Mage
    gnomemasterrace

If its for the pc(and i know you want a single player but try this) go for tribes and give it a go, its f2p and a very good game, been playing for 3 days and i adore it, so good

Im a single player/multiplayer shooter gamer myself.
    Some of my all time favs are;
    Any Painkiller game.
    Serious sam 3 (or the original HD versions they brought out are a good mindless blast)
    Hard Reset.
    Duke nukem (dont listen to the bullshit its cheap enough now for a good bit of mindless fun)
    Rage. (crap ending but tbh a great looking fun game to play)
    Gotham city imposters (online only and matchmaking can be slow at times but so fun to play)
    Tribes ascend (free to play)
    Dead island (great game imo , i soloed the whole of it and thought it was brill despite a few bugs here and there)
    Bordelands (more than just a shooter ofc but another i solo played and loved it)
    ANy bioshock game (3 coming soon )

Its a good year for single player games/shooters.
    Got BF3 updates ,close quarters soon i believe and vehicle warfare add on coming fall this year, cod black ops 2 which i think ill skip this time round lol , bioshock 3, darksiders 2 , dark souls coming to pc but the main star of the show for me is Aliens colonial marines coming 12 feb 2013...bastards put it back again as it was suppose to be fall this year but never the less cant fricken wait
    Last edited by Suggs; 2012-06-09 at 09:24 PM.