Thread: Mage portals..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Hmm, reminds me why my mage got so boring... Insane how many people actually try to find you to ask for portal yet totally misses out on where you are (gotten it in both raids and hcs). My mage is on a high popu server too, even worse
    I was Once a Nab
    Then I rolled a Paladin
    Thats when I found out
    that I REALLY was a Nab

Deleted
    Make a macro that replies with "Thank you for your whisper, but I am not able to help you right now".

I always ask a high price if I'm busy or just don't feel like it. Funny thing is, some people actually pay the 100+ gold. Highest I've gotten is 300 gold.

If Im not busy and they ask politely, I usually throw them a portal for free (though I will still accept any tips that come my way ^_^).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline Grace View Post
    So, I've recently started use my Mage alt again, and proceed to get whispers about portals etc all the time.. That's all fine, but almost all of them get completely rude when I turn them down (busy with something else etc).

Today I also had a guy that wanted me to portal him from Org to Undercity. Told him kindly to take the zeppelin, as it would have taken him less time then what it took to find a mage. Suddenly I get bombarded with l2p comments, rude insults and everything else. The guy proceeded to harass me from his alts after I ignored him.. Is it like this when playing a mage, or am I just really unlucky? =_=
    You were unlucky. For the guy who whispered from alts, I'd suggest opening a harassment ticket, detailing the situation and listing names. It'd help if you had quotes/some method of copy-pasting available (like with the Chatter add-on); but at least that will help get the point across.

If you're genuinely busy and cannot break away at a given time, break it gently. Just saying something like "take the zeppelin" MIGHT be misconstrued and a rude response - if you mean it that way or not. Also, you'll want to consider a couple of things. [a] Do you feel like charging a flat fee? If so, you'd better respond with that desire up front, or you'll risk having deadbeats if you rely solely on "tips". [b] If you're not going to charge a set fee, set up a macro to spam into party chat that reads (something to the effect of), "Stick a little something in the tip jar and I'm cool" or 'Tips welcomed, thanks." would suffice. If you get a tip, enjoy it and move along. If you get someone who won't tip and takes the portal, it's up to you to determine if you wish to engage in utilizing your time for that person (or those people) in the future - and frankly I would not. "Time is money, friend."

Now, go back to enjoying playing as a mage. There's nothing else quite like it. =)

#FlightIsImportant

Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    There's an easy solution. Just reply "100g".
    Basically this. You mite even get 100g out of it :P

Deleted
    100g?! that's cheap...

If they are friendly, polite and offer a tip then I'll do it for free - if i get "yo yo can i have portal dal", then they get a /r 500g.

In my experience, most of the time people who ask for ports are pretty nice about it. If you ever get some asshole harassing you, just /ignore them and remember that this game is suppose to be fun, not a source of stress.

if they give me a nasty reply, I quickly let them know the errors of my way and invite them to a party... once I summon the portal, I drop group before the enter port - lol - and fly away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline Grace View Post
    So, I've recently started use my Mage alt again, and proceed to get whispers about portals etc all the time.. That's all fine, but almost all of them get completely rude when I turn them down (busy with something else etc).

Today I also had a guy that wanted me to portal him from Org to Undercity. Told him kindly to take the zeppelin, as it would have taken him less time then what it took to find a mage.
    Suddenly I get bombarded with l2p comments, rude insults and everything else. The guy proceeded to harass me from his alts after I ignored him..

Is it like this when playing a mage, or am I just really unlucky? =_=
    My mage almost never gets asked for portals. When I do I either do it for free or, if I'm busy, ignore them. Can't say I've ever been harassed over one though. Sounds like you just found a real winner.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."