Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

The reality about "stockpiling before release"

Don't bother. Most of the demand is the new skin, the new cloth, the new flowers, the new things. Not the old things. Some people say, the bags, the this the that, but those even if they have some demand, will be exploited so much that it won't be easy to shift products fast enough. Besides, if something "profitable" is public, it won't be profitable for long.

i.e. Cue 10,000 stacks of embersilk cloth on the AH "but why don't they sell?". Because 1) 100s of others thought the same 2) People actually need the new cloth more 3) Some guilds and people that didn't even care to stockpile get rid of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having supplies of old crafting mats is indeed a decent moneymaker in an expansion. Not right at the start, but there will be far more people levelling new toons in the early months of the expansion than there are right now, and many of them will want to purchase mats to level profs.

One should never put all their eggs in one basket of course, but if you can buy eggs for incredibly cheap now and sell them for even a bit more later it is still profit.
    "Brevity is...wit"

I believe that you are looking at this the wrong way.
    Most of the people that stockpile do it to pick up stock at crazy low prices. People usually dump the remainder of their stock right before the release of a new expansion. You can pick this stock up for next to nothing. If you have the storage it's not a bad idea.
    Now, as to why, it's not to relist it immediately on the AH. It's to work it back into the economy over time for a good profit. You'll appreciate this if you've ever tried to level a profession using older mats well past the time when it was current content. You can easily double/triple the amount you put into these items if you are patient.

This methodology is not for everyone and represents a significant storage amount for a little while. So I would advise caution if you do choose to go this way. If you get impatient you'll dump it back on the AH and can actually lose.

Especially w/ a new class/race being introduced! Everyone is gonna want a Pandaren. The need for old mats is going to be tremendous, not Cata mats but BC and Wrath mats mainly. Those are the mats that will fetch the best price and will not have a huge supply because you have to go out of our way to obtain them!

Deleted
    Actually, I can see Embersilk bags going for 500 a pop by the dozen once MoP hits. Given that you can now pretty much make them for 100-150g on most servers...

I've got a guild tab full of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) I'm going to stockpile a bunch of old mats.
    2) When MoP hits, I'm going to give them to my guildies.
    3) Then I'm going to eat some more chocolate.

I have no real intention to play the AH either way, but I know enough people about to make monkendaries that the effect won't be lost.

Can't you go from 525-535 off of old mats once the expansion hits? I was thinking of getting a whole bunch of elementium bars to give my BS a head start towards 600. Could anyone confirm/deny this?

I'm going to stockpile the mats required to level up enchanting since the price will go up. I want to level up asap so I can start shuffling to pump out gems for freshly hit 90's with plenty of gold from questing. A lot of gold to be made as long as you can keep up with the flow. Your going to have to compete with more and more people as everyone hits cap, but just keep undercutting and you will make bank.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    True demand for cata mats will go way down with the release of mop, but demand is only half the equation of supply and demand. At the end of an expansion supply of mats shoots up and demand goes down meaning cheap mats. With the release of a new expansion the demand goes down a good chunk but the supply goes down way more meaning you can make a large profit.

It's not some "get rich quick" method you will have to sit on the mats for a few months you'll make a good profit. I think frost weave cloth is about 15-20x more on average right now then it was at the end of wrath on my server (4-6 gold / stack vs 60-80 now) and most herbs and ores are 4-10x their prices.

Quote Originally Posted by fateswarm View Post
    it won't be easy to shift products fast enough
    Keyword: Patience. Stockpiling mats from previous expansions isn't for selling in the beggining of a new one. It's to sell them to new alts that are leveling professions mid-expansion, when the demand for older materials rises, and the offer is pretty much non-existent.

Also, people will try to unload all their old mats at the end/beginning of an expansion, plummeting the prices. That's a good time to buy them, and wait! Look at infinite dust for example. Pretty much rubish at the beginning of cataclysm, but as soon as it good rareer to find on AH, those who stockpilled started slowly unloading them at 10/20/30 times their original price.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have stock piled every release since BC and have made a heap of cash. At the start of every expac there is certainly a demand for new mats, but if you are on a medium to high server supply will always out weigh demand in the first few weeks. When savage leather first hit the market, people were farming the bats in deep holm and I was buying stacks off the ah for 5g each. Heart blossom was 6-7g a stack.

The start of the expansion is where some big money is made, filter the old mats in to the market as the price goes up, but start buying new mats as the AH floods and the prices crash.

Its because of people like the OP that things become worth more during the next expansion.

(hint, hello infinite dust)

Deleted
    There are opportunities for everyone. Doubt I will be stockpiling that much as my main focus will be on the new stuff. If you can pick up stuff insanely cheaply, then ok, but I think more money is to be made from expansion stuff.

I personally think that based on my server/faction/realm, I would make more gold with the new expansion items. So, because of this, I am making as much gold as I can now with Cata stuff, so I can focus on the new items in Mists.
    Sweeter than yo mama's apple pie.

Deleted
    ^ Yeah,

And I just realized something obvious about the embersilk bags "stockpiling".

If I want to make a new panda and go and buy bags, why would I buy 500g bags - even now - and not just get the 30-40g bags of netherweave? I mean, it's gonna be an alt that is going to need some bags but you know, you do meet vendors once in a while. A full 16 slot bag set is not going to run out easily. Besides, if you gather on it things like mats of skinning or whatever, that won't be fast levelling anyway.

i.e. Everyone will want bags but they will also want cheap bags. And the 16 slot bags are not exactly very small for just levelling an alt that doesn't carry on its bags nothing but what it randomly drops. Since, there is usually plenty of time to empty them on pauses and hubs.

Those 22 slot bags are not that amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people will see those 500 gold bags and say "screw that" and buy the smaller bags, it's true. But there is still going to be plenty of people wanting bags and plenty of people still buying those bigger bags. It's often simply a question of supply and demand. If there are no smaller bags, because the seller of those bags also sells larger bags and simply decided to funnel everyone into the larger, more expensive bags, what happens to the market then, do you think?

People will try to make and sell the smaller bags, but as the supply of cloth dries up because noone is currently running Outland because everyone is busy in Pandaria, and the smaller bags sell out, and there is only those larger, more expensive bags available, and you NEED bags, what do you think happens?

The only real danger there is for people selling bags is that there are too many people with a big stockpile of bags, and the price gets driven down to even below the "normal" price.

^ Yeah,

And I just realized something obvious about the embersilk bags "stockpiling".

If I want to make a new panda and go and buy bags, why would I buy 500g bags - even now - and not just get the 30-40g bags of netherweave? I mean, it's gonna be an alt that is going to need some bags but you know, you do meet vendors once in a while. A full 16 slot bag set is not going to run out easily. Besides, if you gather on it things like mats of skinning or whatever, that won't be fast levelling anyway.

i.e. Everyone will want bags but they will also want cheap bags. And the 16 slot bags are not exactly very small for just levelling an alt that doesn't carry on its bags nothing but what it randomly drops. Since, there is usually plenty of time to empty them on pauses and hubs.

I was reading a gold making blog and they mentioned exactly that. Most people are picking up netherweave because it's so cheap and 16 slots is enough for leveling up as is. Over the length of the expansion, the price of hypnotic dust will go up as supplies run out and people keep leveling up enchanting. Infinite dust is selling 150g on average on my realm so I can't wait for mop and hypnotic

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Some people will see those 500 gold bags and say "screw that" and buy the smaller bags, it's true. But there is still going to be plenty of people wanting bags and plenty of people still buying those bigger bags. It's often simply a question of supply and demand. If there are no smaller bags, because the seller of those bags also sells larger bags and simply decided to funnel everyone into the larger, more expensive bags, what happens to the market then, do you think?

People will try to make and sell the smaller bags, but as the supply of cloth dries up because noone is currently running Outland because everyone is busy in Pandaria, and the smaller bags sell out, and there is only those larger, more expensive bags available, and you NEED bags, what do you think happens?

The only real danger there is for people selling bags is that there are too many people with a big stockpile of bags, and the price gets driven down to even below the "normal" price.
    Yes, yes, and I wouldn't bet on not having oversupply because of that.

In my opinion, whatever happens it will last largely for a month. In some cases it may last for 2 weeks only. And if for some reason one can't play, or gets very high competition, or gets very low demand, he may lose a lot.

---------- Post added 2012-06-10 at 03:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by themonitor132 View Post
    I was reading a gold making blog and they mentioned exactly that. Most people are picking up netherweave because it's so cheap and 16 slots is enough for leveling up as is. Over the length of the expansion, the price of hypnotic dust will go up as supplies run out and people keep leveling up enchanting. Infinite dust is selling 150g on average on my realm so I can't wait for mop and hypnotic
    I wouldn't be very sure about that because infinite dust is here quite low.

Quote Originally Posted by Deatheryn View Post
    Especially w/ a new class/race being introduced! Everyone is gonna want a Pandaren. The need for old mats is going to be tremendous, not Cata mats but BC and Wrath mats mainly. Those are the mats that will fetch the best price and will not have a huge supply because you have to go out of our way to obtain them!
    Pretty much this. I would agree with OP that the majority/most of gold will be made with new materials as they will be in highest demand which has been proven with each expansion but Outlands and WOTLK mats will be outrageously priced. Anyone that has leveled a profession by simply by using the AH at that very moment knows that you can completely deplete the supply in minutes. Obviously this is server dependant but the realm I play on there is never enough mats to fully level a profession. There will be shortages in certain markets the key is to watch them and then post when prices are at their highest. The point of stockpiling previously released materials is to buy them at a really low price and sell them when it is optimum. Stockpiling isn't a get rich quick scheme but more of a smart investing method. If you can buy or craft a stack of lets say Infinite dust for 25g and then proceed to sell it for 125g or even up to 175g you are in the range of 500-700% increase of your initial investment. This is 1 example, but there will be opportunities like this to capitalize on.

---------- Post added 2012-06-10 at 08:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post

Good points made here regarding bags. I would guess that 50% or even more will reroll a Panderen/Monk at some point which they may or may not play immediately but the demand for bags will be ridiculous. The supply of these Netherweave bags could dry up quickly making the only option available the more expensive bags. Also, personally when I make alts I want the biggest bags available simply to avoid having to offload junk while questing etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohbo View Post

Good points made here regarding bags. I would guess that 50% or even more will reroll a Panderen/Monk at some point which they may or may not play immediately but the demand for bags will be ridiculous. The supply of these Netherweave bags could dry up quickly making the only option available the more expensive bags. Also, personally when I make alts I want the biggest bags available simply to avoid having to offload junk while questing etc.
    The funny part is that it's actually the non-Pandaren Monks that will have the initial sales, cause the Pandaren can't access the AH or a mailbox till they are in their new home capital. They get decent enough bags (one 6 and one 8 slot) while leveling to clear the island. Once they hit normal zones though, it's the same old, same old, and they'll need bigger bags like the rest of us.