Thread: Lvl problem

Deleted

Lvl problem

Hey guys ,

So i'm having a huge problem in GW2 and that is that i'm not on track with my lvl and the area's i'm playing in.
    I don't know if its just me but i'm doing every single quest i get and i'm still behind on lvl's to get that next area...
    I allready habe this pretty early in the game and its kinda taking the fun away from the game due this problem , and just farming mobs is not really an option if you know the exp is way to little from it.
    Anyone else has this problem to or people who got tips to prevent this?
    All help is welcome!

Deleted
    I kind of had this problem but at most was 3 levels under the mobs.

What race are you? I was Human and after doing (most) the events to the west, i began moving further east and down. If I continued a bit further west, it would have been the gap filler.

As I've said, things worked out OK, but that's most likely because other people were in the area (of varying levels).

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I had this in the Charr area as well. I'm currently level 19 and the content I haven't done is at least level 22. I can kill the mobs if I'm very careful, but if I get a group (more than one, actually) I'm pretty screwed. I wanted to fix this by doing WvWvW until I had an appropriate level, but there was no fighting at all there, so that wasn't really an option.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm probably the only person oblivious enough to not have this problem because I did 2 farm events near shaemore then traveled east and was Rollin around fighting lv 10 skirt at like lv 4 or 5 until I got to lv 10 then I went back west, and then just kinda roamed wildly all over the place...

In short I didn't have the problem cause I just roamed randomly trying to discover everything... But I can totally see how someone not roaming would have problems...

PS were you just filling hearts and leaving? Or were you doing events too?
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Do your personal story

Go to another low level zone for a couple levels

Run around and look for events

Go to the other two starting zones and work your way through the content. If you stick to your races path you're making it much more difficult on yourself. The thing to understand is that with level scaling you get basically the same amount of exp from low level content as you would level "appropriate". There is so much content to explore in this game don't limit yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by External View Post
    Hey guys ,

So i'm having a huge problem in GW2 and that is that i'm not on track with my lvl and the area's i'm playing in.
    I don't know if its just me but i'm doing every single quest i get and i'm still behind on lvl's to get that next area...
    I allready habe this pretty early in the game and its kinda taking the fun away from the game due this problem , and just farming mobs is not really an option if you know the exp is way to little from it.
    Anyone else has this problem to or people who got tips to prevent this?
    All help is welcome!
    XP still needs sorting out, its true but its atleast a little better then last beta and will get better as they tweak the numbers... but as for now the best ways to not only keep up but rather over level to the point where you get downscaled while you "quest" is to do every starting zone, gather everything, do crafting... yes gathering and crafting give pretty good xp.

Norn starting zone you don't really have to do any extra work, human starting area you fall a tiny bit behind, and Char starting area is the worst for xp balancing currently... but comparing how many new DEs I saw this beta compared to last beta odds are the xp rate won't be far off of what it should be since last beta ran into a DE about 1 out of every 4-5 hearts, and this one so far about 1 DE about every 2-3 hearts which makes a large difference in xp without gathering/crafting/doing all starting zones.

Point is, yes it is an issue but its also beta and they are still balancing xp rates and adding DEs throughout beta, because of the adding DEs odds are xp will be a bit slow until near launch when they can rebalance it better when they have a better idea of how many DEs a zone you'll run into on average if your not exploring , thus spending more time in a zone, thus running into more DEs then someone just running hearts, they don't want to boost xp to only find out later upon having all the DEs where it isn't as hit and miss on DE:heart:exploring time ratios... it would be like balancing xp around a rate of x but then giving everyone something where they are getting xp at a rate of 1.5x -2.0x

I explore everything, do all the starting zones to see the changes, gather everything, craft as much as I can, and I end up walking out of the 1-6 areas at level 17 being down scaled for much of the next few zones, which is fine, someone being a completionist is not going to skip zones and so the down scaling system works great in that case, but someone doing "average playing" of do the hearts and whatever DEs happen while doing the hearts and move on does need some work still, but its better then last beta weekend.

Agreed. My plan at the start of the beta was to only play the human starting zones since it's the only race I won't touch when the game comes out but that didn't work out so well. Kind of makes me wish they took out levels altogether but that would just create a whole new bunch of problems

10+ Year Old Account
    The only time I've seen a problem in leveling is the new Gendarran Fields (25-35), but that's only because the eastern side of the zone (coming in from the Norn's Snowden Drifts) has very few 25-29 stuff, while the western/southern side (Coming in from Queensdale Fields or Lion's Arch) has much, much more 25-29 events.

If you do every single event you see, and some of your personal story, you should be pretty good with experience. I also did quite a bit of WvW, 100%'d two zones plus found a lot of the waypoints in major cities and even mined/harvested/chopped a majority of the ore/crops/trees I came across (each chop/pick/harvest giving a bit of exp)

Basically, if you focus on actually roaming the world and doing side-stuff, and not just about where the next renown event is (hearts), then you shouldn't have TOO much of a problem. I know it seems strange, but I believe the game is based around actually doing a ton of stuff and not just the renowns, because doing a heart only gives me about 20-30% of an EXP bar. The only thing wrong with that is that, is that it doesn't make you feel... as useful as you could be with your time, and that having to do more than renown feels like a chore if you're only focused on leveling.

That's just why I try not to worry about it too much, though.
    Last edited by Sentinel; 2012-06-10 at 02:46 AM.

Deleted
    As a Human I get it too. Just tried several different classes so far to see which one I prefer most, and it always seems that you're a few levels behind. But it's early days, I'm sure they'll just tune down the amount of exp needed to level.

I think the best way around it is to never travel to waypoints and just walk it instead. That way, you're more likely to find events, and if you do those, it should help your experiance a little.

After level 20 you'll see a decrease in the speed which you gain levels at, and a big one at that. It's because there is no personal story past it. Doing a personal story quest gives you about 70% of a level, and not having them added yet means you'll be behind in levels relative to the current content there is in the game. Fear not, it will be solved on release :3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ZerOKami View Post
    After level 20 you'll see a decrease in the speed which you gain levels at, and a big one at that. It's because there is no personal story past it. Doing a personal story quest gives you about 70% of a level, and not having them added yet means you'll be behind in levels relative to the current content there is in the game. Fear not, it will be solved on release :3
    Do you mean there isn't a personal story past level 20 in beta? Or will there not be one past 20 in live as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triage View Post
    Do you mean there isn't a personal story past level 20 in beta? Or will there not be one past 20 in live as well?
    Just beta, when you get to the quests for it that are at level 20 it says you can't proceed any further in the beta, that the rest is only available live.

Find a quickly repeating quickly doable dynamic event and chain it. You can get up to and sometimes over 1k exp for completion (depending on level) + killed mobs.

Something you need to understand is that mobs are supposed to be at least 1 level higher than you are. I think the devs did this on purpose to keep things challenging. Whenever I'm in a zone that's meant for lower level players, I get scaled down to 1 level beneath the mobs in that area.

Don't be afraid to enter area's that are of higher level. I have the exact opposite now, I'm level 30 but am constantly scaled down at least 3 levels because there's so much more to do in lower level areas!

I'd love to do a dungeon now that I'm 30, but I have no idea how to find people. I wish they'd implemented a group-finding tool This reminds me of wow chat-spam... Bah..