Honest Question - Why are there levels in GW2?

Perhaps my information is lacking, but from what I understand most of the content scales up or down to level in addition to scaling for to player numbers.

If the content scales so freely why is there a leveling system in GW2?

Quote Originally Posted by Styxz View Post
    Perhaps my information is lacking, but from what I understand most of the content scales up or down to level in addition to scaling for to player numbers.

If the content scales so freely why is there a leveling system in GW2?
    You scale down to keep all content relevant, but you do not scale up to content. VERY early in development they apparently considered having no levels, but early testers ended up lost without a clear goal.

I never played guild wars, but...

I assume that lower levels are easier to play with fewer abilities. Having lower levels allows players to ease into the game instead of being blasted with all the abilities and mechanics at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    You scale down to keep all content relevant, but you do not scale up to content. VERY early in development they apparently considered having no levels, but early testers ended up lost without a clear goal.
    Word. That makes sense.

Thank you.

What's cool about GW is that there's only 20 levels, and from my XP with the first one they go by pretty fast. So it never felt like a grind for me, and EVERYTHING was fun to do while leveling, I was never like "oh man I can't wait to be 20 so I can experience the GOOD stuff." Everything was good.

It's a goal-oriented thing in terms of progression. Secret World operates without levels I heard, but the level system does give the player a sense of being rewarded and growing more powerful. At the same time the downscaling in low-level zones never make the content completely redundant, and the foes are still foes and not critters.

I also wish to stress that you train up your abilities by actually fighting, which lorewise makes much more sense than paying silver or gold to learn a skill with a sword, etc. After 10-30 or so minutes you have access to all your skills and fly around as a nutcase. At least the skills based on a weapon. Each time you change weapon combination you will have to learn the skills (they are new, afterall) again. It's quite fun, the levels are more of a symbolic thing than anything to do with the main combat skills. It helps with the trait points though, I guess.
    Last edited by Atelniar; 2012-06-10 at 02:04 PM.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

10+ Year Old Account
    They originally weren't going to have levels in GW2, they felt they were needed to help guide a player by giving them a sense of progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    They originally weren't going to have levels in GW2, they felt they were needed to help guide a player by giving them a sense of progression.
    You're like, 20minutes too late Mif. Gosh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    You're like, 20minutes too late Mif. Gosh.
    Pfft... like I read your posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Pfft... like I read your posts
    More betterer question, why you writing forumz stuff and not playing the Beta? (And don't you dare turn this question back on me... I have reasons to be here... good ones... like, I'm going to sleep in a few minutes and stuff) ;-)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Man View Post
    More betterer question, why you writing forumz stuff and not playing the Beta? (And don't you dare turn this question back on me... I have reasons to be here... good ones... like, I'm going to sleep in a few minutes and stuff) ;-)
    Need a break.
    Was trying to take a nap (aiming for 4 hours or so), but I can't nod off