Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Exedore View Post
    I played around with it a little bit. Toward the end, I dumped in a bunch of crafted items that had terrible modifiers which I had used to get discovery xp. There's a small chance to get a higher quality item. I think I got one green out of 3 or 4 dumps of blue items. Also, it seems if you dump in all armor, you get armor back. Likewise for weapons. However, I dumped all heavy armor and got medium back, so it doesn't guarantee the type. It also gives you a higher level item. When I dumped in four lvl 35 masterwork armor, I got a lvl 46 item back.

I'm curious if this could become a way to dispose of extra karma later on in the game. Buy a bunch of karma items and toss them in and hope for something better. You could also buy cheaper crafted materials and throw them in and hope for a good outcome that you can sell for a profit.
    (Back at work, so back to the forums )

Did someone say they did the same idea as above with greens and got a yellow? Also can someone enlighten me on naming conventions? ie. Blue item is uncommon, green is rare, yellow is...etc. I'm just used to WoW or D3, haha, haven't paid much mind to people saying "Rare" as a color. I can only assume since I know that it goes Blue>Green>Yellow>???

As for pets, that's pretty funny...poor little guys.

As for dyes, that's a really cool thing to do actually. The rarest dye I got from packs was silver (was like violet tint but more silvery) which I used to most (silver+antique gold or brass made my Guardian look pretty cool IMO). Then again I also did gold+reddish color for the Lannister look

I now would very much like to collect various things and throw them in there.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    (Back at work, so back to the forums )

Did someone say they did the same idea as above with greens and got a yellow? Also can someone enlighten me on naming conventions?
    In my post i used the naming convention but its this:

White - Common
    Blue - Fine
    Green - Masterwork
    Yellow - Rare
    Orange - Exotic
    Red - Legendary
    Purple - Transmuted

And to answer your other question, yes i put in masterwork items and got rare items on multiple occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Discomoose View Post
    Purple - Transmuted
    Transmuted items now show up as the rarity that the stat item is.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Transmuted items now show up as the rarity that the stat item is.
    Oh cool, I thought it was weird that they made a special color for transmuted items. Didn't get a chance to try the transmutation stones out yet though so for that one I had to go off the wiki. Keeping the same color as the stat item seems a more logical way to handle them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I used all my gems hoping for black lol, the closest I got was 'walnut', it was really really dark brown, and pretty damn close to black.

I would have used all my pinks and purples in the forge if I knew I could have done that.
    I've been lucky and got Midnight Violet from an Unidentified Dye - it was pretty damn near black and looked really awesome on my Necro :x

Quote Originally Posted by Discomoose View Post
    In my post i used the naming convention but its this:

White - Common
    Blue - Fine
    Green - Masterwork
    Yellow - Rare
    Orange - Exotic
    Red - Legendary
    Purple - Transmuted

And to answer your other question, yes i put in masterwork items and got rare items on multiple occasions.
    Oh snap. That's awesome, thanks. The only rare I got was after Ascalaon Catacombs. It was a helmet with a Major Rune, and then the rune disappeared. As for your forging, did they pop out naked, or with any types of runes? I wish it'd just be like this: Red>Orange>Yellow>Green>Blue>Indigo>Violet...easier to remember rainbowic colors and order, hahaha...though I guess white is the universal w/e item, while grey is the "broken". Poor blue and green. I guess the familiarity aspect to other games makes it easier to grasp..?

Is there a story for the Mystic Forge besides the small amount of info we have on it with the elemental or whatever inside? Link if so, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    I wish it'd just be like this: Red>Orange>Yellow>Green>Blue>Indigo>Violet...
    That is what it is (especially now that, as Delias mentioned, transmuted items are no longer purple)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Deleted
    After a shield, a dagger and 2 others, which I forget, I got a blue ring without any stats but with an upgrade slot. (woot...)

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    That is what it is (especially now that, as Delias mentioned, transmuted items are no longer purple)
    Haha I guess you're right..they stole my idea. Rainbow win. Though if you think about it, the epitome of all the colors (best) should be white..or, I guess technically, the combination of all types of items...cancellation and what not. Interesting. Anyone come across anything above yellow in the BWEs?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Using it for dyes you do not want would probably be a good way to make use of it. With weapons and armor it's a gamble, as they can just be salvaged.. but if you have 4 dyes that you know for sure you will not use, what else are you going to do with them? They're not tradable.. so if the choice is them sitting in your list or turning into another dye you may also not use, I'll take the latter for a chance that it ends up being one I WILL use.

This is all assuming dyes can be put in there, I did not try.
    You can. I did not put 4 dyes in there, but you can at least put them in there, as the one I had in my bag showed up on the left side. So yeh.

Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    You can. I did not put 4 dyes in there, but you can at least put them in there, as the one I had in my bag showed up on the left side. So yeh.
    Does that mean there is no way to make white dye, or is it magical enough to do so? As if we depend on logic, right? Haha, or Zommoros takes the dye and turns it into light, in which case you need every basic color for cancellation, then converts it back to dye. I guess it's fine, like, putting in 4 hues of green and getting some type of pink dye...it's magic, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kallanna View Post
    I think it'll be a useful alternative to just salvaging, particularly while leveling as instead of simply destroying the weapons you might be able to get a better deal out of just combining them - and afaik combining 4 of the same item gives you a better item of the same type (so 4 daggers = 1 better dagger).
    Only used it once and that seemed to be the case, threw 4 blue shields in that I had crafted and got a slightly better one.

Deleted
    I think I'll use the forge at lower levels, where you can only get plain salvaged items. Once you get the higher salvage packs, that have more chance to bring out all the ingredients, I think I'll switch to salvaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    I think I'll use the forge at lower levels, where you can only get plain salvaged items. Once you get the higher salvage packs, that have more chance to bring out all the ingredients, I think I'll switch to salvaging.
    If it has to do with RNG it may be more advantageous to Mystic Forge it up...It's more of a risk vs. reward thing. On one end, you know you'll always get something you can salvage. If you have 4 fine swords around level 50, you'll probably get similar salvaging materials at moderate prices. However, if you combine those 4 swords and somehow pop a masterwork or rare, you can either find yourself with a good upgrade, good sale, or better salvage. I think it will have uses at every level, especially when people find out real recipes as opposed to the RNG ones.

One thing I'm disappointed with, though maybe I'm spoiled from GW1, is that salvaging (even perfect salvaging) destroys the original item, yielding one or more items. In light of the Mystic Forge, I wish salvaging had a chance to retain the original item while removing the enhancements, as it did in GW1, for more MF fodder. That might be the entire reason though

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Mystic Forge oh how i fear it will turn everything to crap with Cash shop like they said for pvp items random crap than you convert them with forge to what you want and ofc at later date they will say it needs item from cash shop