Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The march of the Golems! A major problem with WvW

The march of the Golems! It's very funny to see this video but, it show a major problem with WvW. Domination of the map can be done very easily if your server has a lot of gold. Pay to win, with people converting real money into gems for gold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oImNGXsqLF4

Quote Originally Posted by neuk View Post
    The march of the Golems! It's very funny to see this video but, it show a major problem with WvW. Domination of the map can be done very easily if your server has a lot of gold. Pay to win, with people converting real money into gems for gold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oImNGXsqLF4
    How are gems going to generate gold on your server that isn't already there?

FWIW, this wouldn't be possible (IMHO) except for the following:

1) Everyone in the 120+ person guild was given 2500 gems to spend for free. This bought a lot of stuff for WvW.

2) We needed 10,000 supply to pull this off. You can't accrue that much supply unless you are already dominating for a good long while. If the other servers in this matchup had been fighting us and forcing us to use supply to repair/retake objectives, we would never have had enough for this. This is what happens when you spend an entire day NOT spending supply.

I don't think this would be possible in a normal matchup (with more or less equal servers). Even if it were, someone pointed out that a few balistea on the keep walls would have WRECKED this attack. They do something like 18k damage per shot to siege and can hit multiple things at once. Even 3 balistae would have made this a very very poor investment. We just did it for the lulz on the last day

10+ Year Old Account
    Why WvW isn't "Pay2Win"

http://youtu.be/Kx7o7CRoDXc?t=9m15s

It really is the rule of supply and demand here. There are no NPC traders that will give you gold for gems.

Every serious WvW server will do things like this anyway...but from their own gold...not from gems.
    The balancing of servers will negate any advantage after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Every serious WvW server will do things like this anyway...but from their own gold...not from gems.
    The balancing of servers will negate any advantage after a while.
    As was pointed out by Bridger (one of the guys who was there, probably was the one who actually posted the video) this was only possible because of the huge lead they had and from the 2500gems per player that their 100+ person guild had. This would not be viable in a normal situation, as by the time you would have enough supply you would already have enough of a lead that it would just be a waste of gold for lulz.

this is not a legitimate strategy. i will laugh hysterically the first time i see this force coming for a keep.... then i will build 4 ballista (20 silver, 1,200 total supply verses the 100+gold 100,000 supply needed to build this army) who in 8 volleys (give or take 20 seconds) would destroy this ENTIRE force.

as it stands siege golems are a ineffective weapon due to how slow they move, cost to make, amount of health they have, lack of serious damage, and the amount of preparation time you have once you get intel on their movement. i imagine these players were able to pull this off because their opposition wasnt active, but against any serious force, the whole army would be killed before they even got close to a target.

awesomely trolly though and i get them a +1 for fun
    Last edited by drtrann; 2012-06-12 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    As was pointed out by Bridger (one of the guys who was there, probably was the one who actually posted the video) this was only possible because of the huge lead they had and from the 2500gems per player that their 100+ person guild had. This would not be viable in a normal situation, as by the time you would have enough supply you would already have enough of a lead that it would just be a waste of gold for lulz.
    Yeah...I didn't mean that the exact situation would be re-creted, rather that good servers would be more creative in their tactics and better at seizing opportunities creatively. But...of course the more creative the tactics the greater the risks, and you simply wouldn't be able to get away with this kind of thing against a good server. They will still use creative tactics, and any advantage they can get through buffs etc, where appropriate though.
    It was just for lulz here like he said.

10+ Year Old Account
    "I don't see why? This wouldn't have been possible if we hadn't had the entirety of WvW to pull supply from. It's also a tremendous waste of gold. It's also easily countered by balistae (they do tons of damage to siege weapons)."

Quoted from SoundStrategyNetwork. The maker of the video.
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Thread should have just ended right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Klazmaunt View Post
    "I don't see why? This wouldn't have been possible if we hadn't had the entirety of WvW to pull supply from. It's also a tremendous waste of gold. It's also easily countered by balistae (they do tons of damage to siege weapons)."

Quoted from SoundStrategyNetwork. The maker of the video.
    That's me

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh no, not another 'Pay 2 Win'-argument...

Thanks for pointing out how it really worked and that it won't be an issue in the future, Bridger!
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

I'm pretty certain that the Golem incident is exactly what beta's are for. People are supposed to find stuff like this so it gets fixed before release.

Quote Originally Posted by Vesci View Post
    I'm pretty certain that the Golem incident is exactly what beta's are for. People are supposed to find stuff like this so it gets fixed before release.
    The point is that it's not broken. It's extremely expensive (talking about supply here, not just gold.. meaning you have to have a pretty big lead to do it) and easily countered.

That was extremely broken. It'll be fixed. My guess would be a cap on things like golems per map at any given time.

Deleted
    1 gem gets you 11copper - and that was the best price I've seen this weekend. Yes, the ratio is changing based on demand so if more and more people would start converting gems to gold, the price would just go up. The highest price I've seen over the weekend was 1gem=5copper. So to get reasonably "rich", for example 10gold you would need spend some heavy cash.

Plus we all got 2500gems for free this weekend :P. It's such a shame people are not using their heads before posting...

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Anyone from any server can purchase gems from any player of any server. More than 95% of the gold would come from outside the server.

Still not a problem though. If a server can hold enough supply camps to generate the insane amount of supply needed, then they should by all rights be aloud this.
    Last edited by Gisei; 2012-06-12 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    . It's such a shame people are not using their heads before posting...
    There was no need being nasty about it to get your point across.

---------- Post added 2012-06-12 at 08:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bridger View Post
    FWIW, this wouldn't be possible (IMHO) except for the following:

1) Everyone in the 120+ person guild was given 2500 gems to spend for free. This bought a lot of stuff for WvW.

2) We needed 10,000 supply to pull this off. You can't accrue that much supply unless you are already dominating for a good long while. If the other servers in this matchup had been fighting us and forcing us to use supply to repair/retake objectives, we would never have had enough for this. This is what happens when you spend an entire day NOT spending supply.

I don't think this would be possible in a normal matchup (with more or less equal servers). Even if it were, someone pointed out that a few balistea on the keep walls would have WRECKED this attack. They do something like 18k damage per shot to siege and can hit multiple things at once. Even 3 balistae would have made this a very very poor investment. We just did it for the lulz on the last day
    Thanks for posting the video. I had a good laugh anyway.
    Last edited by neuk; 2012-06-12 at 07:27 AM.

Came for the video, laughed hysterically at the music. Good times.