10+ Year Old Account

upgrading, want to keep old HD and data

sup folks

so about 2 and a half years ago i built my current PC. everything went pretty well

but now im looking to upgrade my PC. but when i say upgrade its pretty much an entirely new build. im replacing everything except the case, PSU, dvd drive, and the 1TB hard drive (im probably going to reuse the memory too)

currently this is what i have:

hard drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136284

dvd drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827151187

case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129021

PSU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139009

motherboard
    EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard (no link for this anymore)

CPU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115202

memory
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145224 (6 sticks total)

GPU
    560 ti

these are the parts im looking at getting

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130787
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128545
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115072
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835608024
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233191

my question: is there a way to upgrade all the hardware but still keep my data and programs on my hard drive? should i just get a smaller drive and copy everything onto it and reinstall windows 7 normally?
    Last edited by Glytch; 2012-06-12 at 06:08 AM.
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    we cant view your parts list, but really why are you upgrading? that PC is fine still? why do you want to upgrade? more then fine really, its still very good..

and windows should boot normally and fine from that HDD, it shouldnt have any ties into your hardware because it is an OEM windows copy, not a manufacturer(hp,dell, etc..)
    Last edited by jmacphee9; 2012-06-12 at 06:02 AM.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    should i just get a smaller drive and copy everything onto it and reinstall windows 7 normally?
    I would at least back up anything you want to keep just in case, windows doesn't always play nicely with Motherboard/CPU upgrades.

Did you partition your hard drive up so your data was separate from Windows? If so, then just reinstall Windows. If not, epic fail imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
    we cant view your parts list, but really why are you upgrading? that PC is fine still? why do you want to upgrade?
    originally it started with wanting a better CPU for online games and for some graphics work for a few classes and kind of turned into this

currently in games (specifically gw2, which i know isnt fully optimized yet, wow, and a few others) im getting about 10-20 FPS during things like raids (and in gw2's case wvw and large scale DE's) and wanted to up that up to something more bearable

gimme a few mins to edit OP ill just put a link to all the new parts

---------- Post added 2012-06-12 at 12:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    I would at least back up anything you want to keep just in case, windows doesn't always play nicely with Motherboard/CPU upgrades.
    assuming id be able to grab all that back just fine if i had to reinstall correct?
    The Original Ganksta

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    originally it started with wanting a better CPU for online games and for some graphics work for a few classes and kind of turned into this

currently in games (specifically gw2, which i know isnt fully optimized yet, wow, and a few others) im getting about 10-20 FPS during things like raids (and in gw2's case wvw and large scale DE's) and wanted to up that up to something more bearable

gimme a few mins to edit OP ill just put a link to all the new parts
    well if that is the case then upgrade away, you should be able to overclock that thing well past 3.5 ghz and get good performance though. what resolution do you play on?

edit: i hardly ever reccomend waiting for technology as it always changes, but i would think that CPU should be good enough to play most games, it seems im wrong though, but if buying a 30-40$ cpu cooler and OCing it can make it last till intels haswell processors that might be a better route.
    Last edited by jmacphee9; 2012-06-12 at 06:11 AM.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Naga

10+ Year Old Account
    and windows should boot normally and fine from that HDD, it shouldnt have any ties into your hardware because it is an OEM windows copy, not a manufacturer(hp,dell, etc..)
    Don't you mean retail instead of OEM, seeing an OEM version is normally only sold with PC parts and limited to the first system it was installed on.

And yes, Windows will boot normally, but expect undesired behavior as soon as your motherboard's chipset turns out to be different from the old one.

10+ Year Old Account
    well if that is the case then upgrade away, you should be able to overclock that thing well past 3.5 ghz and get good performance though. what resolution do you play on?

edit: i hardly ever reccomend waiting for technology as it always changes, but i would think that CPU should be good enough to play most games, it seems im wrong though, but if buying a 30-40$ cpu cooler and OCing it can make it last till intels haswell processors that might be a better route.
    1920x1200 on a 25.5" screen

i was told that my cpu was the weak link in my rig and the GPU was too (to an extent)

ive never been the best at hardware
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    And yes, Windows will boot normally, but expect undesired behavior as soon as your motherboard's chipset turns out to be different from the old one.
    Windows will almost guaranteed not boot. When you change chipset, you get bluescreens (or the vista/7 equiv thereof)

Since the SSD can likely not carry all the data you have on the SSD, and not having windows boot off the SSD makes it moot... Pretty much your only option is to do a clean install of windows on the SSD, and reinstall your programs. This is recommended anyway when making that large of an upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    what kind of behavior and what could i do to fix it?

---------- Post added 2012-06-12 at 12:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Windows will almost guaranteed not boot. When you change chipset, you get bluescreens (or the vista/7 equiv thereof)

Since the SSD can likely not carry all the data you have on the SSD, and not having windows boot off the SSD makes it moot... Pretty much your only option is to do a clean install of windows on the SSD, and reinstall your programs. This is recommended anyway when making that large of an upgrade.
    so put windows on the SSD and the rest of my stuff on my 1TB? (besides a few programs)
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    i was told that my cpu was the weak link in my rig and the GPU was too (to an extent)
    Neither are weak. Not by any stretch, and the performance you'd get from upgrade is NOT worth the money imo

im getting about 10-20 FPS during things like raids
    You've got MUCH better hardware than I do (I'm running on a 460), and I get much better performance... so it sounds like something is wrong, not just lacking power.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    what kind of behavior and what could i do to fix it?
    laggy and slow in general, ive found ways to help reduce it but its never as good as a clean wipe. AVG PC tuneup is what i use for people who dont want their HDD wiped, it is a noticeable increase but no where near as good as the clean wipe.

---------- Post added 2012-06-12 at 06:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Neither are weak. Not by any stretch, and the performance you'd get from upgrade is NOT worth the money imo

You've got MUCH better hardware than I do (I'm running on a 460), and I get much better performance... so it sounds like something is wrong, not just lacking power.
    i agree, it seems like something is wrong to me as well. only thing i can think of is he is playing on high resolutions.
    edit: that resolution should be more then playable, at ultra i would think too with high fps :s not sure really whats going on..
    Last edited by jmacphee9; 2012-06-12 at 06:20 AM.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Naga