Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need faster internet for GW 2 ??

My internet just isn't taking this game it's so laggy, so I'm getting faster internet anyone that played the beta of this game is up to 30mbps fast enough for it to stop lagging????

10+ Year Old Account
    My download speed is about 1mbps (Even though speedtest.net says 12) and I played with no lag.

Eh, not quite sure. Hell, I ran the game perfectly at work off a 3G Hotspot. I usually get around 50-60kbps (definitely not 3G speeds, but then again the area I live in isn't even supposed to HAVE 3G) and I ran it flawlessly. I lagged in huge fights, like the branded champion in the ending event, but I think that's more from my laptop chugging on it then the internet.

You sure it's your connection and not your cpu or gpu?

Quote Originally Posted by Cervani View Post
    Eh, not quite sure. Hell, I ran the game perfectly at work off a 3G Hotspot. I usually get around 50-60kbps (definitely not 3G speeds, but then again the area I live in isn't even supposed to HAVE 3G) and I ran it flawlessly. I lagged in huge fights, like the branded champion in the ending event, but I think that's more from my laptop chugging on it then the internet.

You sure it's your connection and not your cpu or gpu?
    This is what I was about to say. No matter the game nowadays you can usually run it with a lower end connection because in the end games really just don't use that much bandwidth.

It's more than likely something other than the connection.

I played from China and had very few lag issues. It played better than any other online game I've tried. My net isn't very good either.
    I'd say wait until release to see how it plays. Good be optimization issue.

Deleted
    Lag and internet speed are completely unrelated. If you're positive you're experiencing latency because of something on your end, change ISP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Make a shortcut to your GW2.exe file, then right click it, select properties, and change the target to:
    "C:\*something*\Gw2.exe" -diag
    Obviously the *something* will depend on where you have the game installed.
    It will then do a series of diagnostic tests including a network traceroute to the servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Make a shortcut to your GW2.exe file, then right click it, select properties, and change the target to: Obviously the *something* will depend on where you have the game installed.
    It will then do a series of diagnostic tests including a network traceroute to the servers.
    That still does a whole lot of nothing for me. It runs and I can open the networkdiag.log, but says nothing about MS, ping, latency, Texas.. I don't even know.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are many kinds of lag my friend.

Distance to the server, firewalls, Packet loss, The company you get net from slows you down "Throttle" when its peak time.

Then there are things you might find feel like lag that are related to your computer itself or your hardware software vid cards etc, and your internet router.

Make sure all this is running as best as you can.

Myself i get 25mbps down and 2mbps up i always get it, im never throttled by contract, and my computer is custom end of 2011.

(Edit) Make sure to run as admin mode.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol internet speed....i play on 150kbs...yes 150kbs...shit australian internet...and i play it fine....trust me its not your net

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    That still does a whole lot of nothing for me. It runs and I can open the networkdiag.log, but says nothing about MS, ping, latency, Texas.. I don't even know.
    Scroll down more, there'll be one that goes to Dallas, and one to Frankfurt.

Alternatively, open a command prompt and type:
    Quote Originally Posted by For US servers
    ping ae-1-60.edge2.Dallas1.Level3.net
    Quote Originally Posted by For EU servers
    ping ae-1-60.edge6.Frankfurt1.Level3.net
    (although I believe Frankfurt is down at the moment)

my internet here is 5 mbit / 0,45 mbit i can play it non lagging.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Scroll down more, there'll be one that goes to Dallas, and one to Frankfurt.
    The point I was making is that no, there is not. I can screenshot every little bit of the document if you'd like, there is no mention of Dallas, frankfurt, ping, latency, MS.. nothing.

Alternatively, open a command prompt and type:
    That worked.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The bandwith usage of MMOs is somewhere in the two-digit kb/s area, so they could even be played with a friggin 56k modem.

I sense a serious mixup of lag (which is rarely connected with "internet speed" on the user's end) and bad performance, meaning a low framerate or even stuttering (caused by the GPU/CPU not being able to quickly render/calculate the game with the current settings).

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw
    My download speed is about 1mbps (Even though speedtest.net says 12) and I played with no lag.
    And here I sense a mixup of bit and byte I guess you meant a download speed of 1MB/s, which equals 8mpbs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Socram View Post
    And here I sense a mixup of bit and byte I guess you meant a download speed of 1MB/s, which equals 8mpbs.
    Yeah, this is very much possible. Speed is measured in bit; size is measured in byte; one byte is 8 bits.

just going to say it..*Cough* beta *cough*
    really, get over it' Beta is beta, hell I know a friend who got the best available internet connection in the U.s NEAR there servers, guess what, he can't play the game(beta)
    because it lags like hell and hes the ONLY one using it

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    Speed is measured in bit; size is measured in byte; one byte is 8 bits.
    Somewhat inaccurate.
    Speed is measured in "size per time", and could of course both be MB/s or mbps (or even GB/h, TB/d, etc.pp.).
    Size is measued in, well, size. Bit and byte are both data sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharli View Post
    just going to say it..*Cough* beta *cough*
    really, get over it' Beta is beta, hell I know a friend who got the best available internet connection in the U.s NEAR there servers, guess what, he can't play the game(beta)
    because it lags like hell and hes the ONLY one using it
    The beta status has absolutely nothing to do with the connection to ArenaNets servers. If he really had lag (see my previous differentation between lag and low performance), a problem on the ISP's end is much more propable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    I played from China and had very few lag issues. It played better than any other online game I've tried. My net isn't very good either.
    I'd say wait until release to see how it plays. Good be optimization issue.
    So how did you figure out how to play from China? Did you just buy a European copy, or am I mistaken? I don't remember ANet making Asian servers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Socram View Post
    Somewhat inaccurate.
    Speed is measured in "size per time", and could of course both be MB/s or mbps (or even GB/h, TB/d, etc.pp.).
    Size is measued in, well, size. Bit and byte are both data sizes.
    Fair enough; but data size is never commonly measured in bit. The only common use for bit is when measuring speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    So how did you figure out how to play from China? Did you just buy a European copy, or am I mistaken? I don't remember ANet making Asian servers.
    Aye European copy. When I logged on for the first time during the BWE it said it was transferring me...so it's possible it transferred me over to the US as I'm outside of the range of their designated data centers and I believe they said anyone in that situation would be transferred to the US server.
    But anyway...I had really no noticeable lag. It was shocking tbh.