Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    Deleted

Internet 'trolls' will now face prosecution.

Websites will soon to be forced to identify people who have posted defamatory messages online. New government proposals say victims have a right to know who is behind malicious messages without the need for costly legal battles. The powers will be balanced by measures to prevent false claims in order to get material removed.

Last week, a British woman won a court order forcing Facebook to identify users who had harassed her. Nicola Brookes had been falsely branded a paedophile and drug dealer by users - known as trolls - on Facebook. Facebook, which did not contest the order, will now reveal the IP addresses of people who had abused her so she can prosecute them.

The new powers, to be added to the Defamation Bill, will make this process far less time-consuming and costly, the government said. Complying with requests would afford the website greater protection from being sued in the event of a defamation claim. Currently, in legal terms, every website "hit" - visit - on a defamatory article can be counted as a separate offence. This means many websites remove articles as soon as a defamation claim is made - either rightly or wrongly.

"Website operators are in principle liable as publishers for everything that appears on their sites, even though the content is often determined by users," said Justice Secretary Ken Clarke. "But most operators are not in a position to know whether the material posted is defamatory or not and very often - faced with a complaint - they will immediately remove material. "Our proposed approach will mean that website operators have a defence against libel as long as they identify the authors of allegedly defamatory material when requested to do so by a complainant."

Mr Clarke said the measures would mean an end to "scurrilous rumour and allegation" being posted online without fear of adequate punishment. "The government wants a libel regime for the internet that makes it possible for people to protect their reputations effectively but also ensures that information online can't be easily censored by casual threats of litigation against website operators. "It will be very important to ensure that these measures do not inadvertently expose genuine whistleblowers, and we are committed to getting the detail right to minimise this risk."

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18404621

Just to get in first, for those people who panic about everything, this is not the kind of trolling where it's "HURR DURR I SLEPT WIV UR MUM LOLOLOL"

It's the kind of trolling that happens when bad stuff happens, not petty name calling - like when an indian student was murdered in Salford last year, someone was posting "rot in piss nigger" on tributes to him - it's that kind of thing this is going to stop, not the whole "You have the intelligence of a potato" and then messaging again a few weeks later - it's constant, genuinly offensive harrassment, not petty little shit or things like "Your dps is awful rofl" and then making a character on that persons realm to remind them again.

What most people think is "trolling" does not wash with people who aren't immersed into the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    haha, it'll never happen, not so long as 4chan remains in operation. Haven't people learned by now that directly antagonizing 4chan/Anonymous inevitably results in the antagonist being embarrassed in front of the entire planet?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Trying to prosecute trolls is like trying to prosecute pirates.
    It can't be done.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    haha, it'll never happen, not so long as 4chan remains in operation. Haven't people learned by now that directly antagonizing 4chan/Anonymous inevitably results in the antagonist being embarrassed in front of the entire planet?
    That's not the kind of thing that it's doing though. If you are going onto 4chan or something then you are asking for it and you probably give it as good as they do so it's irrelevent. I have no idea what anon has to do with this.

It's things like hate messages, not what most people on the internet think trolling is. You must have seen highly racist hate messages on the internet - it's those sorts of things this prevents, not things like someone tricking some kid to rub a magnet against his harddrive or feed his dog a 1kg bag of sugar.

The Internet 1.0.1 patch notes:
    _trolling function is now removed until further notice.
    NERF THE INTERNET!!

The media doesn't know the difference between a twat behind a PC and a troll.

I'm not too worried about this...
    You can still remain anonymous as long as you don't bother anyone overly much.

Besides, you still can't exactly be persecuted for internet things. It just means that the one you're pissing off now knows who you are, and, more importantly, can find out where you live and what you look like.

You know; pretty much the reason why people behave in real life: Fist-in-face keeps people in line.

People will troll even under their real name.

Why can't it be done?

Court order to force the website, be it twitter, facebook etc to release the IP addresses of the people harassing you.
    Court order to force the ISP that the user used to connect to the website to post the harassment to release the name and address of the person responsible for the internet connection.
    Start civil proceedings for libel and defamation in the local magistrates court, the defendant faces a compensation claim.

Or, in the case of an offence under anti-defamation laws the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) can do the above and summon the defendant to a criminal court (the defendant faces a custodial sentence and a criminal record).

this has always been the case. also does nothing to people in most of the world. also this is only for big time stuff like continued harassment and accusations that are truly defaming. so really a pointless post all they did was make it easier and cost less to do this, they were already doing this though it just took longer.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Why can't it be done?

Court order to force the website, be it twitter, facebook etc to release the IP addresses of the people harassing you.
    Court order to force the ISP that the user used to connect to the website to post the harassment to release the name and address of the person responsible for the internet connection.
    Start civil proceedings for libel and defamation in the local magistrates court, the defendant faces a compensation claim.

Or, in the case of an offence under anti-defamation laws the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) can do the above and summon the defendant to a criminal court (the defendant faces a custodial sentence and a criminal record).
    And unless you are committing an actual crime, or are deemed vital to be recovered due to ongoing investigation of a crime, this is not even a legal thing to do in most countries in the EU...

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    The media doesn't know the difference between a twat behind a PC and a troll.
    There's a difference?

I don't think this will be in the next 20years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    It's a waste for both the prosecutor, jury, judge and defendant.
    It's such a widespread phenomenon that anyone who actually, somehow, gets singled out is nothing but an "example if you troll".

Death threats is one thing, that's a serious thing to do, wether it's IRL or over the internet, and such occurrences already do get reported to the police. Sometimes.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

And this changes...

nothing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahippo View Post
    We are gunna use some dust brown to paint some happy little tornados here, and one more here. Then we are going to use some white to paint happy little wind blasts here. Just dab the brush along the base of al akir, and there you have it. THE GAYEST FIGHT EVER

Deleted
    How I loathe the Coalition government. They want all of the invasive, overbearing power of a "nanny state", while cutting back decent welfare programmes (and basic institutions like police and military) for 'austerity'. A mean nanny that refuses to give the "baby" in their care a supportive bottle. All the negative connotations while rolling back the positives.

I was actually planning on voting for Cameron, for what seem now, like naive reasons, but now I'm glad my constituency was the only one on election day unable to vote.

Luckily some of the shit they are proposing is almost impossible to enforce effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    There's a difference?
    Yeah. When I "troll" I'm not a dick about it, I only mess around with my friends, whom also do it back, I don't randomly start racially abusing people on a page setup to support them.

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    How I loathe the Coalition government. They want all of the invasive, overbearing power of a "nanny state", while cutting back decent welfare programmes (and basic institutions like police and military) for 'austerity'. A mean nanny that refuses to give the "baby" in their care a supportive bottle. All the negative connotations while rolling back the positives.

I was actually planning on voting for Cameron, for what seem now, like naive reasons, but now I'm glad my constituency was the only one on election day unable to vote.

Luckily some of the shit they are proposing is almost impossible to enforce effectively.
    Out government shames me, but the worrying thing is that the more they do this, and the more labour agree with them, the more people vote UKIP, or BNP. If the BNP were to do something outlandish like guarantee legalization of pot, we WILL have a racist government. And somehow, it will be better than the one we currently hvae..

Perhaps not 100% relevant, but still, it's in the ball park.