Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
    Oh noes, I have to have someone sync their Mox to me so I can badmouth their dps, I can't just do it without their consent.

Seriously, they open their meter, they type in 1 code that's at most 12 letters, and boom, synced. Such a hard thing to do.
    Who is "they"? Think pug ppl even have installed dmg meter (ok, some might)? And waste time to sync even if they want to?
    As I said, organized guilds are different story - but for pugging its no-go -90% of ppl even dont know meters exist.
    Info I get from dmg meter is never used for linking in chat or bashing someone else permormance, only mine.

Example: why I ran LFR DS in wow - only to min-max and improve dps, passing on all the loot all the time there.

I was a heavy user of recount in my WoW days, as rogue class leader and recruitment officer I found it massively useful in helping my fellow backstabbers and it was REALLY helpful when I was looking for new players to join the guild. If I pug with someone and I can see their performance is good then I'm going to add them to my friend list and invite them to groups when I need their class, if they manage to not stand in fires and not complete tools then I'd talk to them about joining the guild.

My current guild in swtor is full of very nice people who I enjoy playing with but we're having a hard time clearing EC hardmode, I'm guessing that if the above method had been used then we wouldn't be having these problems. I have no problem with people not running meters constantly but I see no reason why they shouldn't be used during operations.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac2 View Post
    Who is "they"? Think pug ppl even have installed dmg meter (ok, some might)? And waste time to sync even if they want to?
    As I said, organized guilds are different story - but for pugging its no-go -90% of ppl even dont know meters exist.
    Info I get from dmg meter is never used for linking in chat or bashing someone else permormance, only mine.

Example: why I ran LFR DS in wow - only to min-max and improve dps, passing on all the loot all the time there.
    Why would you need a damage meter in a pug?
    The phrase "min-maxing in LFR" is an oxymoron.

Quote Originally Posted by Fannyd View Post
    Why would you need a damage meter in a pug?
    The phrase "min-maxing in LFR" is an oxymoron.
    Why not having dmg meter in pug? Improving my performance is obvious reason, to see whether I suck or Im mediocre or Im great.

Main reason is using LFR instead of target dummy, having buffs and debuffs, so I could perform better in regular guild raids.

If you're looking to judge your own performance in a live situation then you don't need the rest of the pug to have one installed, just you. I don't see the complaint here.

Quote Originally Posted by Snave View Post
    If you're looking to judge your own performance in a live situation then you don't need the rest of the pug to have one installed, just you. I don't see the complaint here.
    Im not sure if you know how swtor meters work - if you are not synced with others dmg meters or they dont have one, you dont see other ppl dmg done, only yours. Combat log in swtor shows only your data, so any parser can show only yours dmg/healing/etc...
    And w/o that, i cant compare myself to others, right? And judging performance can only be done by comparison, right?

If you join a pug, and they don't require people to have it, it's not your job to worry about it. If you start a pug, and you want people to have it, tell them where they can go get it and tell them how to sync it to you. If they don't want to, kick them from your pug. Pugs require people to download vent all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Snave View Post
    I was a heavy user of recount in my WoW days, as rogue class leader and recruitment officer I found it massively useful in helping my fellow backstabbers and it was REALLY helpful when I was looking for new players to join the guild. If I pug with someone and I can see their performance is good then I'm going to add them to my friend list and invite them to groups when I need their class, if they manage to not stand in fires and not complete tools then I'd talk to them about joining the guild.

My current guild in swtor is full of very nice people who I enjoy playing with but we're having a hard time clearing EC hardmode, I'm guessing that if the above method had been used then we wouldn't be having these problems. I have no problem with people not running meters constantly but I see no reason why they shouldn't be used during operations.
    So have your guild members get one of the many programs now released with the 1.2 combat log?

Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    You mean the pre-release WoW? I had Cosmos and damage meters in Vanilla. It was just something that stuck mostly with the progression community and wasn't really common with the normal players. Warcraft's content reached it's potential because the metrics were there so players could push themselves. The TOR team would rather you bring the Sage swinging his lightsaber between casts wasting GCD's because it adds flavor and "fun" to the raids.
    You are inclining WoW raids were ever hard...

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, the ideal damage meter would show me my personal damage, uptime, etc. much like Recount/Skada do now but eliminate other player damage and certainly eliminate the ability to post results to chat channels.

They're fine for assessing your own performance with an eye toward improvement. Beyond that they do much more harm than good.

That said, I didn't miss it much in SW:TOR for the short months I was there, I haven't missed it in D3, and I don't miss it at all now in the MoP beta.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    For me, the ideal damage meter would show me my personal damage, uptime, etc. much like Recount/Skada do now but eliminate other player damage and certainly eliminate the ability to post results to chat channels.

They're fine for assessing your own performance with an eye toward improvement. Beyond that they do much more harm than good.

That said, I didn't miss it much in SW:TOR for the short months I was there, I haven't missed it in D3, and I don't miss it at all now in the MoP beta.
    With the combat log Bioware added a lot of players have already made what you asked for. You have the choice of linking with other players based on what I've seen from this software. But it's not required.