Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

$20 Fine For Swearing in Massachusetts

"At a town meeting, residents voted 183-50 to approve a proposal from the police chief to impose a $20 fine on public profanity.

Officials insist the proposal was not intended to censor casual or private conversations, but instead to crack down on loud, profanity-laden language used by teens and other young people in the downtown area and public parks."

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ine/55542416/1

I personally think this infringes upon freedom of speech and would refuse to pay a 20$ fine. Thoughts?

Since when did people get offended by simple words? They are just words people they don't hurt!

It's just Middleboro, btw. Not the entire state.

It's still fucked up.

And I thought it was just parts of the south that were going to Hell in a handbasket!

This law is hilarious, and will probably be as strictly imposed as 'sodomy' laws are in other states. In other words, not at all.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    The majority wants it so give it to em. Eventually they might even rule to keep them from speaking at all... at least in that crazy accent, wheres the bubbleh?

15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe the just over 18 crowd should have went and voted, sucks for the just under 18 crowd, not their fault they can't vote on policies that effect them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not the first time such a law has been passed in the US.. if it gets opposed strongly, it will fall, but for a small town I doubt anyone is going to push hard enough to take it that far. The only concerning thing is people passing through.. if they have this law apply to people driving through the town, and they press the charge, than I doubt the law will last very long.

Deleted
    I think there's a difference between having a casual-toned conversation with others in public and using an occasional swearword and shouting profanity at the top of your lungs in the same location...

Freedom of speech is one thing, behaving like a shrieking baboon in public is another. And speaking as someone who has an alarm clock set at ass-crack dawn and regularly being woken up in the middle of the night by two teens-to-early-twenty having a conversation 100m apart and calling eachother everything possibly foul in the world, I think a $20 fee is the LEAST that can be done...

Deleted
    We had something like this in my town last year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...in-public.html

It went down pretty well, the focus wasn't upon conversations between friends, but language which could cause offence. It's not really a freedom of speech issue, more a public order one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, there's no way this would ever be upheld in court if someone contested the fine.

This sounds good to me.
    Stop the QQ-ing about freedom of speech it has nothing to do with that you can say what you like as long as it doesn't affect others.
    Put simple for you guys if you say it quiet no 1 will hear and no fine simple.
    That's the point so children don't pick up your foul language.

What a ridiculous law.

Quote Originally Posted by Codexea View Post
    That's the point so children don't pick up your foul language.
    They're already going to learn the words from there classmates or watching tv. Pretty pointless if that's the whole point behind the law.

20 $ ??? should be atleast 100 $ so people think twice what they say..i dont want to go outside and hear some 10year old kid talk shit :S

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now when will they get to agree what is or what i not profanity.

Afther all what migth be profanity to somes migth not be for the others.
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

usa... greatest country in world...

10+ Year Old Account
    What happened to freedom of speech? o_O If someone is offended, let them be offended.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoshreptar View Post
    What happened to freedom of speech? o_O If someone is offended, let them be offended.
    U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that the government cannot prohibit public speech just because it contains profanity.
    People yelling in the street isn't a freedom of speech issue. It is a disturbing the peace issue, and possibly public intoxication.

They have had a law that prevents public profanity since 1968. They have never enforced it due to the costs. This will decriminalize the charge so 20$ tickets can be written for it (like Traffic violations) instead of proceeding through the courts (the old way).

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a first amendment infringement to me. If anyone challenges it, I don't see it standing up in court at all.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    As a Belgian, I always find it weird when listening to foreign radio stations and hearing songs like "little lion man" by mumford and sons get censored. People shouldn't get offended by cursewords as much as they do.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SunbakedDuck View Post
    20 $ ??? should be atleast 100 $ so people think twice what they say..i dont want to go outside and hear some 10year old kid talk shit :S
    Then pack your fucking shit and move to china commie. God damn, I cant believe someone actually said this bullshit.

Infracted: Please, refrain from personally insulting other posters.
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2012-06-12 at 08:29 PM.