Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    View Post
    This law is hilarious, and will probably be as strictly imposed as 'sodomy' laws are in other states.
    It's a pretty easy way to get extra revenue, and the police in most places have quotas they need to fulfill, this makes it pretty easy for them to fine people. I suspect this might actually be enforced and even abused.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    Good thing I live near Middleboro. I'm going to go there, and swear my head off in front of City Hall, then sue the city for infringing upon my freedom of speech.
    Actin' a fool is not protected under freedom of speech.

And again freedom of speech is a constitutional right. It protects citizens rights to criticise the government, elected officials, whatever, etc. it protects our rights to swear or whatever whilst doing it. What it does not do is allow anyone to go around screaming profanity or anything else with no regard for public safety.
    Last edited by deadlydee; 2012-06-12 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Then pack your fucking shit and move to china commie. God damn, I cant believe someone actually said this bullshit.
    This isn't the 1950s anymore.

Fucking terrorist.

15+ Year Old Account
    Unless they start audio recordings they can't prove that you said a profanity to be honest, so how would that work?

Its not difficult to stop swearing in public. Do you really need to do it? Nah didn't think so. Broaden your vocabulary

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a big clusterfuck, brought to you by the amazing system of having both the country and state trying to make their own laws for the same things.

" U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that the government cannot prohibit public speech just because it contains profanity."

"state law does allow towns to enforce local laws that give police the power to arrest anyone who "addresses another person with profane or obscene language" in a public place."

I also like: 'The ordinance would decriminalize public profanity, allowing police to write tickets as they would for a traffic violation. It would also decriminalize certain types of disorderly conduct, public drinking and marijuana use, and dumping snow on a roadway.'

Let's make cursing a fine so we can give tickets out like candy. Oh yeah, lets also make it so people who are completely drunk or smoking weed in public only get fined too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellus View Post
    "At a town meeting, residents voted 183-50 to approve a proposal from the police chief to impose a $20 fine on public profanity.

Officials insist the proposal was not intended to censor casual or private conversations, but instead to crack down on loud, profanity-laden language used by teens and other young people in the downtown area and public parks."

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ine/55542416/1

I personally think this infringes upon freedom of speech and would refuse to pay a 20$ fine. Thoughts?
    I see the battle against PC is not going too well... This is stupid as shit. Swear words shouldn't even be separately categorized words anymore, but instead as normal words of the English language, to be used at will whenever the person chooses to do so.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

10+ Year Old Account
    Communist countries do censor speech. Its sad you didnt know that. People have been arrested and executed in China for less than curse words.

Are you seriously making the argument that there should be laws to make up for your lack of parenting skills?
    America must be a full fledged communist nation then. The FCC has been governing what we can and cannot say on radios and TV for decades.

It's sad that you didn't know that.
    Last edited by Hanto; 2012-06-12 at 07:20 PM.

I'm all for it. It isn't a freedom of speech issue, as other's have said. A bunch of kids swearing at the top of their lungs would be disturbing the peace. If they tied a fine to all swearing, I'd be upset, but you really don't need to shout that sort of thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    America must be a full fledged communist nation then. The FCC has been governing what we can and cannot say on radios and TV for decades.

It's sad that you didn't know that.
    . . . . those are privately owned public broadcasts, they have that right, just like the moderator of a privately owned forums.

You have heard of private broadcast networks like XM right? Ohhh ~ you didnt know that? Thats sad "bruh".

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how they are going to treat Homonyms, seeing as some swears sound exactly the same as other words.

What then Massachusetts? You going to fine me for saying that is one fine donkey?
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

when did humans get so uptight that certain modulated noises became offensive? oh, right, the same day that humans forgot they fuck, shit and piss like every other animal on the planet
    somebody call for d doctor?

10+ Year Old Account
    . . . . those are privately owned public broadcasts, they have that right, just like the moderator of a privately owned forums.

You have heard of private broadcast networks like XM right? Ohhh ~ you didnt know that? Thats sad "bruh".
    Gasp! It's still public access. It's censored to protect the public the same way the law makers are trying to enact this thing for this town. It's nothing new. Imagine it being the FCC extending their reach into the parks and more accessible public areas. Rightly so, it should be focused more there. Parents can change the channel or turn off the TV if there's some vulgarity on the tube. If you're in the park out enjoying your day, or food shopping, you gotta deal with that crap.

Hell, I heard someone in the local Target store the other day screaming at someone on the phone and repeating "FUCK" out loud repeatedly. That's the kind of crap that needs to be stopped. That's the kind of crap this law is trying to stop.

It's appalling how some of you are trying to rationalize/make exceptions on what free speech is, how it's used or when/where. Free speech is Free speech is free speech. Volume of said speech doesn't change it, select words doesn't change it. Again you may not agree with usage of profanity, but you don't get to make exceptions on what free speech is.

By this logic any prude with a hair up their ass can start applying that to any topic they don't like. "Whats that your slamming my church and my political view?" here's a fine for cough cough public disturbance.
    Aku, Soku, Zan

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo333 View Post
    when did humans get so uptight that certain modulated noises became offensive? oh, right, the same day that humans forgot they fuck, shit and piss like every other animal on the planet
    Kind sir, the words you are looking for are reproduce, defecate and urinate. Not those extremly vulgar and offensive words you mentioned.

On topic I doubt police will slap a fine for you if you say to your friend "Shiiiiit, I forgot my wallet to cafe." while walking down the street. More of a tool to handle those 12 year old tough kids who think it's cool to shout BS in front of a shop. I've seen my own share of those even in Finland.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYFioGqC2qQ - The true nature of finnish people

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellus View Post
    "At a town meeting, residents voted 183-50 to approve a proposal from the police chief to impose a $20 fine on public profanity.

Officials insist the proposal was not intended to censor casual or private conversations, but instead to crack down on loud, profanity-laden language used by teens and other young people in the downtown area and public parks."

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ine/55542416/1

I personally think this infringes upon freedom of speech and would refuse to pay a 20$ fine. Thoughts?
    I disagree and I want to point out that Freedom of Speech grants you the right of speech and print in protest against the government. It does not give anyone the right to say whatever they want, whenever they want, wherever they want.

People need to recognize what their actions do to those around them. If you're sitting in a public area around other people and talking in a very loud voice, swearing and cussing and saying all sorts of things that a lot of people find offensive...well, yes, you should face consequences for it.

This is more for people who are just swearing to be rude and offensive and less for those who are simply having a conversation that involves the occasional "bad" word.

lol, I think this is awesome. The statue basically says "Dear Teenagers, we know you're stupid and insist on calling attention to yourselves. Most of the time we laugh and shake our heads at you. However, when you insist on disrupting businesses and ruining peoples free time with your behavior we will give you a chance to suffer in like manner. Here is a bill for 20 dollars to cover the value of our time which you wasted"

Maybe the town will get lucky and the teenagers will get so many fines they'll have to find jobs to afford the swearing. Then, once they've learned the value of time and money, they'll realize there's more to life then trying to be the center of attention.
    Last edited by WinninOne; 2012-06-12 at 07:54 PM.

I swear a lot. Its a habit, a bad one? probably but i do it in everyday conversation and when i get mad (mostly cause i ALWAYS get a laugh out of someone) but i don't scream profanity in public.

I think this is a fine thing to have a minimal fee, and be done with it.

Want to avoid it? act responsible in public

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar View Post
    Let's make cursing a fine so we can give tickets out like candy. Oh yeah, lets also make it so people who are completely drunk or smoking weed in public only get fined too.
    State of Mass has already decriminalized possesion of Marijuana up to 1oz. and you do only get fined. just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by LegendsnDreamz View Post
    It's appalling how some of you are trying to rationalize/make exceptions on what free speech is, how it's used or when/where. Free speech is Free speech is free speech. Volume of said speech doesn't change it, select words doesn't change it. Again you may not agree with usage of profanity, but you don't get to make exceptions on what free speech is.

By this logic any prude with a hair up their ass can start applying that to any topic they don't like. "Whats that your slamming my church and my political view?" here's a fine for cough cough public disturbance.
    I was wondering what you believe "free speech" means?