Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbikenezer View Post
    I agree.. however... someone screaming "FUCK YOU, YOU MOTHERFUCKING PIECE OF SHIT CUNT SLUTBAG!" across the street in a very public place.... is ALSO infringing on a lot of people's rights to NOT have to hear any of that. Life, liberty, pursuit of happiness and yada yada.
    You don't have the right to not hear it. Altough if the voice is too loud or shit like that, it's different.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Then pack your fucking shit and move to china commie. God damn, I cant believe someone actually said this bullshit.

Infracted: Please, refrain from personally insulting other posters.
    Ironic - people like you are probably one of the reasons that 'SunbakedDuck' suggested a 100 $ fine instead of only 20 $...
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

Ridiculous. Cursing does not hurt. Direct verbal abuse and cursing are two different things people! 20$ because you shout ''fuck'' in the park, is an utterly terrible law.. Well done to those politicians, really...well done. Now go make a law preventing people from speaking too loud in areas where there live a lot of old people. Far more dangerous, lol..
    <Novum Genus> - Tarren Mill Horde

10+ Year Old Account
    Lamp. Near the town of chair, in the country Coffee Table.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jogojin View Post
    Well, yes, to ban swearwords in general is a bit over the top.
    I mean I say "Scheiße" or "Fuck" everytime i trip on the street xD
    That doesn't really harm anyone.

But, I wouldn't mind such a fine, if you get it, when you insult other people with swearwords like "slut", "whore" or "fag" (to be continued until christmas). That is really unnessecary and may hurt people. And it really doesn't inhibit your rights if you are forbidden to insult others, does it?
    In that case it wouldn't be a infringement of the freedom of speech in my opinion. Let the douchebags who like to insult others for no reason pay that fine.
    (That doesn't mean, that you should get the fine, when you call your friends "fag" or "ashole" out of fun when he/she doesn't mind.)
    If you read it, it's generally aimed at people yelling it out with no need, rather than people letting slip or using it in a private conversation. Which is why it's not a bad idea...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maglen View Post
    But in this specific case the speech in question, profanity, is protected by the Constitution and supported by the Supreme Court. Just because you don't like what someone says doesn't mean you can try to censor it, unless it's deemed hate speech.
    Freedom of speech means you can criticise the government and leaders and public officials in any form. Without the fear of being jailed or executed. that's all it means / protects. it doesn't mean you can say whatever you want whenever you want. period.

Yes profanity is protected in there. but again that doesn't mean you can waltz down the street in the center of town screamin F this and nword that etc.

swearing in conversations isn't what's fined. is yelling it in public.
    Last edited by deadlydee; 2012-06-13 at 01:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    Why is it fucked up? Does your daily entertainment consist of yelling profanity at the top of your lungs around other people in public areas? It's rude, it's un-needed, and it paints a really bad picture of teens/young people (that's if it is a teen or young person saying it) and portrays them as complete idiots who have no sense of deceny or value of other people around them.

Having a fine to prevent people from doing it is a very good idea. I don't get the hate for it.
    Totally agree with you. I live in NYC and can't stand the people who think they own the public space. An example is the people who think they own the subway. They would curse, talk and yell loudly in a subway, knowing it is annoying to other people, but still do it, because they have numbers.

Deleted
    I'm actually a fan of this.

People should actually read the article rather than screaming "freedom of speech". You are still allowed to say everything, but you are not allowed to swear at random people just like that. It's not the curse words themselves that aren't allowed, it is when you throw them at people on the street that just mind their own business. That causes the infringement.

I don't know if any people has ever been picked on during earlier years, but as a ginger myself, I still have to deal with morons screaming "GINGER!" anywhere I go, even at work (non-colleages ofcourse). I'm pretty sure if you experience those things for decades, you'll grow tired off it and don't mind a rule like this. I'd rather have the police deal with those morons, than I have to go towards them myself to demand some respect.

I think the people that are against this are against it for the wrong reason. I don't see this a free speech issue. As has been said we DO NOT have an unlimited right to speak freely. the issue I have with this is that the law is aimed at people shouting curses at others which I feel is already covered by other laws and ordinances.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Why not just scoop up the vulgar rabble with a giant dump truck and then cart them off to "work" in a soylent green factory?

Not to sound heartless, but it seems stupid to allow refuse to pile in the streets and then try to outlaw the odour.

Heh heh heh... Good thing I'm not Emperor. Because I would in a heartbeat.

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    reminds me of Demolition Man

BZZT! "Jon Spartan, you have been fined one credit for a violation of the verbal morality code."

If they tried to give me a ticket for this (Though I do not often swear in public anyway, swearing is best used when you use it rarely and to put emphasis kids!) I would take it as far in court as I could, and hire a lawyer despite the cost. I would do anything to screw them over for passing this terrible law.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellus View Post
    "At a town meeting, residents voted 183-50 to approve a proposal from the police chief to impose a $20 fine on public profanity.

Officials insist the proposal was not intended to censor casual or private conversations, but instead to crack down on loud, profanity-laden language used by teens and other young people in the downtown area and public parks."

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ine/55542416/1

I personally think this infringes upon freedom of speech and would refuse to pay a 20$ fine. Thoughts?
    For fun, we made this "law" at our tennis club, for just one day. For every "dirty word" during matches we had to pay up 1€. Even if one knows, it will cost you to say siple word "f***", ppl paid up over 20€ in 1h The most fun part is, most of them (us) would just do it again

Glad I don't live in that shitty state....