Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mancerot View Post

Its up to you which case you want, since it will be you looking at it every day, so its usually the hardest part when building a new computer.
    We are just giving our recommendations on whats worth buying.
    I dont know how well NZXTs cases are, but i have heard some of them getting quite some nice reviews.

But i think the Tron-theme would be quite cool with that case.

And I appreciate everyone's help! I am sorry I am so indecisive, typically woman right? :P anyway, I think that will be the case I will settle for, I just hope its not to difficult to mod the case with the El wires. I don't want to get in over my head. But it would be really nice to add that detailing to the case, and those thick strips around it on the outside. I was also thinking about putting a cathode on the inside of the case, with LED UV fans, to really light it up. I am just so excited, but the blue UV cathode and LED UV fans will have be added later. Water cooling I think would look really good with the theme but that is in over my head and budget.

Anyway has anyone done anything with EL wires before? Any tips or suggestions for me on it?

I have one more question about my build. Its actually about a surge protector. Mine is close to 10 years old and with getting a new computer, should I invest in a new surge protector? How many years are they supposed to be replaced if they even need replaced? My power goes on and off a lot so I really want to make sure my new computer is protected. Also what kind of surge protector, or does it even matter?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkusagi View Post
    I have one more question about my build. Its actually about a surge protector. Mine is close to 10 years old and with getting a new computer, should I invest in a new surge protector? How many years are they supposed to be replaced if they even need replaced? My power goes on and off a lot so I really want to make sure my new computer is protected. Also what kind of surge protector, or does it even matter?
    Your computer won't suffer from power cuts. Yes, they did some generations backwards - but there is not a single real risk with new systems such as 1155 / 2011 / AM3+. Proper PSUs also have very good protection against all kind of modifications and changes in voltage and power.

Generally speaking, a surge protector isn't necessary. That's not to say it's a bad investment though.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Generally speaking, a surge protector isn't necessary. That's not to say it's a bad investment though.
    Although I do doubt their efficacy when faced with a 30 million volt lightning strike...a slight bump in current because they just turned on a new transformer box to handle the daily increase in power consumption at 6pm maybe, but that would trip the fuse box long before the surge reached your computer.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-07-09 at 02:36 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I didnt really need a surge protector for my computer, but i bought one anyway to be more on the safe side.
    And i also needed something smaller to plug everything into, so i kinda had to buy one anyway :P

But as others said, its not a must-have with new computers, but you can never go wrong with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Although I do doubt their efficacy when faced with a 30 million volt lightning strike...a slight bump in current because they just turned on a new transformer box to handle the daily increase in power consumption at 6pm maybe, but that would trip the fuse box long before the surge reached your computer.
    They won't help against lightnings / thunder bolts. The voltage of those is so high they kinda 'jump' over small blocks to closeby metallic parts.