Thread: CPU upgrade?

CPU upgrade?

So I've been itching to switch over from the AMD cpu's to the Intel ones.

I'm currently looking at the i3 2120 to replace my amd phenom II x6 1055t or should I stick with the AMD and go for the 965 black edition?

Should I go through with this upgrade? Are there any better upgrades?

I dont know what you really planning to do with youre pc. But i think its better to keep where you are cpu clock speed is not so important anymore as gpu speeds. at least that counts when youre gaming.
    Ordo ad chao

its for gaming, in particular getting ready for guild wars 2. seems as if the intel cpu do much better with mmo's. my current gpu is a 560ti if anyone is wondering.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsanity View Post
    So I've been itching to switch over from the AMD cpu's to the Intel ones.

I'm currently looking at the i3 2120 to replace my amd phenom II x6 1055t or should I stick with the AMD and go for the 965 black edition?

Should I go through with this upgrade? Are there any better upgrades?
    I don't think going from 1055t to 965be can really be considered an upgrade, especially since an overclocked 1055t can outperform the 965be.

I'd stick with amd unless you are ready to take out your wallet for a pretty much new pc, considering you'll have to replace the mobo and in most cases the gpu as well when going for intel.

You could try looking for a AMD FX series cpu, if your mobo is AM3+ at least. Not too expensive and decent performance.

try overclocking what you have anyway ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Striga dont know where you got that idea that you also have to change GPU, specialy when he posted that he has a 560ti.

OT: I think you should wait out and save more money, jumping from what you have to the i3 would be an improvement, but nothing massivem try and save for a 2500k maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Striga View Post
    I don't think going from 1055t to 965be can really be considered an upgrade, especially since an overclocked 1055t can outperform the 965be.

I'd stick with amd unless you are ready to take out your wallet for a pretty much new pc, considering you'll have to replace the mobo and in most cases the gpu as well when going for intel.

You could try looking for a AMD FX series cpu, if your mobo is AM3+ at least. Not too expensive and decent performance.
    He has a 560ti...why would he need to replace his gpu to upgrade his processor? Not sure if serious...

"Fell deeds awake! Now for wrath; now for ruin, and the red dawn!"

Deleted
    "in most cases", and he wrote his post while I was writing mine and browsing the web. Not sure if mad...

go and get the AMD catalyst drivers and use the built in `easy mode` overclocking, by default your cpu is 2.8ghz and easy mode should take that to 3.3ghz on all 6 cores , which btw is more than enough for 90% of games out there

Quote Originally Posted by Tanthalus View Post
    go and get the AMD catalyst drivers and use the built in `easy mode` overclocking, by default your cpu is 2.8ghz and easy mode should take that to 3.3ghz on all 6 cores , which btw is more than enough for 90% of games out there
    If catalyst "easy mode" is anything like the auto-clock features on intel mobos, I wouldn't recommend using it. Take the time and read up on your type of processor, http://www.overclock.net/t/884103/10...clocking-guide is a good place to start.

Those "auto-tune" features will reek havoc on your voltages.

nah it doesn change voltages just raises multi`s